New A2K is Anti-Free Speech

spendius

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Alright- fair enough.

But now "My Posts" shows this thread on top the Sarah Palin thread next and the divine TPQ's "no opinions" thread in 3rd. Where is the ID post I took a lot of trouble over earlier this evening?

And don't forget that patience is a virtue Bob.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:26 pm
@spendius,
Be sure your My Posts are set for All Topics Spendi; also your My Tags

You will see to the right (your right) of the title on the page when you click on My Posts, there is a "sort by" thingee....click on that and select All Topics. That lets anything you stuck in there show up.

(Technical explanation courtesy of Foxfyre's Geek Squad)
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:29 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
And don't forget that patience is a virtue Bob.

Everything has its limits. And sometimes you don't have another cheek to turn. I am fresh out of patience and intend to get it back precisely by not participating in this kind of game you play.
spendius

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:42 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
Be sure your My Posts are set for All Topics Spendi; also your My Tags

How do you do that Foxy? There's no "All Topics" in the dropdown.

Now this thread has popped up on My Tagged Topics. How did that happen?

Can I get the ID thread on My Tagged Topics?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Bob-- I don't think you should be confused because most Americans are loathe to admit that they don't know what's going on and are pretending that they do know what's going on and lulling you into what I think is a false sense of security.

spendius

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:03 pm
@spendius,
Right- now I go look for "ancient punk" on the last page. I check his "My Posts" and there's only this thread shows. What happened to the other one that was there before.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:05 pm
@spendius,
Have you checked Area 51?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:08 pm
@spendius,
someone should remind Bob that American's are famous for refusing to deal with their VCR clocks (for YEARS) , that most of the functions on remotes go unused because people can't be bothered to learn how to use them.

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
But they don't pretend that their inability to figure it out indicates a fatal flaw in the VCR and try to blame the VCR for "oppressing" them. They just use what they want and move on without trying to pin their social problems on the machine.

In any such system there will be features that not all the users will use or even figure out. That's why the default for the My Posts page is All time and New posts. Those are the settings that make the most sense for that page.

Spendius changed it from the default, and thusly knows where it is and how to change it back but likes pretending that he earnestly needs help so that people will waste their time trying to explain it to him (over and over, as it's already been explained to him).
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
actually, most people did blame the VCR makers for making a machine that was far more complicated to use than it needed to be. After trying better written instructions and even instructional tapes with no success they finally bit the bullet, and used new technology to make a more user friendly machine. Computer makers have done the same thing, for while computer use was limited mainly to geeks and business users with IT People around they could get away with needlessly complicated as many geeks like being thus challenged. Ordinary folk don't.

It is not a problem for me, and at this point I don't care much about it as I have concerns about the new a2k that trump the new user unfriendly interface. I still can't figure out WTF you were thinking when you decided that this was a good idea. Hopefully in time it will become clear.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye, have you seen my moth to the flame vid?

Ya might need to see it soon...

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
It is not a problem for me, and at this point I don't care much about it as I have concerns about the new a2k that trump the new user unfriendly interface. I still can't figure out WTF you were thinking when you decided that this was a good idea. Hopefully in time it will become clear.

Usability and interfaces are something I'm passionate about and good at. If you want to make the case that this UI is less usable I'd like to hear you make an objective case for it. I don't think the usability is even good yet, but I do think it's far better than the old site was and would welcome you to try to show otherwise.

Did you know that there were sorting and filtering options on the old site that would let you limit the grids by date or to reverse the date order? Almost nobody did, or even bothered to use them either.

If you want to make the case that the usability is as bad as VCRs and remotes have at it. We aren't anywhere near done and if you can make a legitimate case you may help us, but I don't think you can, and I think you are willing to seize on any criticism you can find on your crusade to make the site software responsible for your unpopularity.

So once again, put up your objective evidence. I am committed to making software with a high degree of usability and if you claim it's that bad then surely you can come up with some objective evidence to support your criticism.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:21 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Spendius changed it from the default, and thusly knows where it is and how to change it back but likes pretending that he earnestly needs help so that people will waste their time trying to explain it to him (over and over, as it's already been explained to him).

That is not true. If I did change it from the default (an expression I don't understand) I didn't know I had and I don't know where "it" is or how to change it back and I'm not pretending anything and nor do I like doing and I don't want people to waste their time on my behalf.

I would prefer it if nothing was explained from now on if it is going to be resented. I'll try to figure it out for myself.
0 Replies

Luxin

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 03:22 am
@Brandon9000,
"Free speech" is only a theoretical ideal in a society free of the weak, intolerant, typically racist Nazis who exist everywhere. There are no doubt plenty of Nazis lurking around able2know -- this could be their ideal place to poison susceptible minds with their rubbish. There's no escaping the mind control propaganda efforts of Nazis anywhere because they are parasites who prey on others and need weaklings to puff up their delicate egos. The Nazi-in-chief gangster Trump is a perfect example of an oversensitive to criticism and demanding of praise and loyalty from rocks fascist, and as Chrissy Teigen calls him, a whiny "pussy ass bitch", or Bill Maher's plain "whiny little bitch". I'm a "journalistic" "Nazi hunter" and I'm always testing the waters for them wherever I go. Always looking for a nibble. Any other "tough guys" like Trump here who would probably wither if they found me standing next to them in an elevator, not even looking directly at them?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 05:06 am
@Luxin,
Luxin wrote:

Any other "tough guys" like Trump here who would probably wither if they found me standing next to them in an elevator, not even looking directly at them?

Have you got bad guts or something?
0 Replies