U.S. Lags World in Grasp of Genetics and Acceptance of Evolution

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2016 06:05 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:

One more point: Believers don't necessarily have less grasp of genetics or deny evolution. It's not ignorance, they just don't see them as a full explanation for the world around them. Science alone does not provide an adequate one, contrary to what some insist.
Thats souning a lot like ignorance to me. You reach a conclusion without all the inputs and then default to something hypernatural.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2016 06:06 pm
@Leadfoot,
Yes, mass delusion is an explanation. That's because all cultures created their own god(s). The christian god is not alone or the most popular.

http://www.humanreligions.info/religions.html
farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2016 06:10 pm
@brianjakub,
Quote:
The fact that it looks like it is more intricately assembled and impossible for anybody alive could replicate.

qwe are only at the dawn of understanding. Youve herd it here first but when we do "get it", it will become a tool for much mischief.
As for most of what you wrote, Im sorry but youre on another plane of reality than I. By the way, I asked for what area of BIOLOGY. What you gave me was a plop of stories that you believe-in. You have no vidence other than some other peoples stories and a story book edited by the Catholic Church over 1000 years ag0
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2016 06:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Yes, mass delusion is an explanation. That's because all cultures created their own god(s). The christian god is not alone or the most popular

And you don't think it strange that evolution resulted in this very serious defect? Evolution, according to you, did all these amazing feats of adaptation we see and yet this delusional thinking (which can't be good for survival) has persisted. Why hasn't evolution eliminated this flaw?

You have a serious hang up on Christians. It is the universal tendency toward a god that I was getting at. There is only one God, but man is free to make of that existence whatever he wants, hence - religions.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2016 06:24 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
You reach a conclusion without all the inputs

Your assertion is noted.
0 Replies

brianjakub

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2016 07:35 pm
@farmerman,
Do you think stone hedge is a result of plate tetonics and erosion? I do. Surely you don't believe some unknown intelligence put it there?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2016 07:42 pm
@brianjakub,
Stonehenge has all kinds of theories. That's all we know for now.
Been there several times. The first several times, people were free to walk within the stones. Many decades ago, they put ropes around it. Have not been to the UK for a long time.
It seems people are allowed to mingle within the stones.
https://www.google.com/search?q=stonehenge+today+2015&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOlNzJmdvNAhUEx2MKHZypACQQsAQIHQ&biw=1299&bih=888
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2016 09:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Stonehenge has all kinds of theories

And none of them are natural causes.
brianjakub

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2016 10:07 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
you have no evidence other than other people's stories and a story book edited . . . 1000 years ago.
Jesus is probably the most researched person in the world. Do you think he was misquoted, dillusional, or just a completely fictional character? He gave some pretty good advice for someone who was dillusional. Too many people would have had to collaborate over generations to make it up. Is God even a remote possibility? Please consider remote possibility. Give him a chance. You do have to make a choice. He's not going to hit you over the head with truth, part of that free will thing. There is such a thing as I once was blind and now I see. You don't have to give up science, it just makes more sense if you know the designer and ask how he did it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 03:14 am
@brianjakub,
Quote:
The fact that it looks like it is more intricately assembled and impossible for anybody alive could replicate.
You reallize that you are starting your research "mode" with a conclusion. Science doesnt work that way , and Im not going to advocate that we start thinking that way.
Obviously you dont work in the sciences
farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 03:17 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:

Missing the point on purpose again I see.
Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:49 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Quote:

Ah-hahahahahahahahaha

You just can't make up sh*t that funny.

My theory is that prehistoric humans living in the southern part of what is now called England built the sucker.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:15 am
@farmerman,
Cherry picking your examples again I see.
If you want an example of 'research' starting with a conclusion, you can't beat this one.
Quote:
CI wrote:
Yes, mass delusion is an explanation. That's because all cultures created their own god(s).
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:27 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Quote:

An objective view would say that it was possible You missed my point.
And since I am obviously the best one to be the judge of that, I would say it's spot on
farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:31 am
@Leadfoot,
then I, as one who has been paying attention to the DISCUSSION herein, Id sy that you totally and knowingly avoided CI's point Dr Obvious.

I think Setanta had it right too.
Ya cant pay for humour like this
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:40 am
@farmerman,
When you can't prove your point, laughter is the last refuge.
spooky24

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 06:34 am
@Leadfoot,
Stonehenge is simple to explain. I happen to catch the end of the Wicker Man recently.

'Summer is a-coming in
Loudly sing cuckoo
Groweth seed and bloweth mead
and springs the wood anew
Sing cuckoo!'

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 08:47 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
all cultures created their own god(s
I know you disagree cause you tried to (unsucsessfully) dhnge the subject by focusing on CI rather than his point.

So you DONT accept all the evidence that basically agrees with what CI wrote??

The Xtians even hqd a term that weve translated to mean the "Judizers" who needed to trqnsfer their Jewish Godhead into Xtianity.

(Thats pretty much a dead horse well beaten from Nichomekian ethics)

(Or how did Gilgemesh get turned into a NOAH?)

How bout all the third world "gods" whove morphed into hybrids of Moogah Boogah and Xtian Moogah Boogah
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 09:40 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I know you disagree cause you tried to (unsucsessfully) dhnge the subject by focusing on CI rather than his point.

Not changing it at all. CI seems like a fine fellow but his point - that since there is no God, the explanation for belief in one has to be mass delusion, was just classic example of 'research' reaching a foregone conclusion.

But as to my conclusion about the matter, Tangent to CI's point, there is some truth to be found. The reason for so many people, cultures, civilizations, etc, coming to a belief in God is because of the fact that there is one and there is some kind of interaction between him and humans that reinforces that belief.

All the aberrations you mentioned are due not to CI's mass delusion but mass distortion. That is a pity because it turns off many fine people like CI to any concept of God.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 09:55 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
The reason for so many people, cultures, civilizations, etc, coming to a belief in God is because of the fact that there is one and there is some kind of interaction between him and humans that reinforces that belief.

Don't make me bring up Unicorns and Fairies and Zeus and Apollo and Thor and Osiris (and on and on and on it goes) again. Does the mass belief in any of those in any way support the contention that they exist... no, it does not. And the same applies if you change the spelling to "God". It's all the same thing. Exactly the same thing.