Student athletes lag academically even in elite colleges

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 10:17 am
Science & Society 9/22/03
Running Numbers
New research reveals that student athletes fall behind academically even at elite colleges

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/iss
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,311 • Replies: 7
No top replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 05:58 pm
it was a dead link but I think that just means a lack in focus or too much focus in 1 are a and not another. If they find the right balance the will do better in school then others who do not do physical activity.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 10:46 pm
Safecracker
Safecracker, sorry about the bad link. That's the problem with posting links instead of the full article. The following link should work. Embarrassed

---BumbleBeeBoogie

RUNNING NUMBERS (Science & Society)
US News and World Report

"When we found a way for Macalester students to play football--as opposed to bringing in a football team to play for Macalester--that was a huge success."
-- Michael McPherson, former Macalester College President

The NCAA's Division III is widely thought of as a sanctuary for all that's right with college athletics--an arena still unburdened by the myriad pressures of "big time" sports. No crooked coaches or lawbreaking tailbacks. No athletic scholarships. The official philosophy is preservation of the amateur ideal: school first, sports second. But signs of academic corrosion in the name of the game are rising to the surface even in this sanctuary and unless something is done, real scholar-athletes could get even harder to find.

New research reveals that student athletes fall behind academically even at elite colleges:

http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15504a85895a170716372a2
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 08:08 am
yup I think it's the pressure of winning and the lack of focus on school that lowers the GPA not the sports it's self after all sports have shown to lower stress and improve concintration in the correct atmosphere. and no problem about the link it happens.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 08:15 am
heck sports pretty saved me from being in jail
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 08:19 am
I do have to admit - when I retired from sports my grades also went up a great deal.
In college while in Sports I'd be a C-D student and after Sports I was an A-B (Dean's List every semester).
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:32 am
Husker
Husker, that just shows that you didn't get whacked in the head too hard too many times while you were sporting. :wink:

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 11:41 am
nope I got whacked harder in the head coaching soccer , that all the sports and fights I was ever in.
Got blind-sided by a 60mph soccerball - hello......
rang my bell!!! was just a hairs breath away from passing out before I was able to suck it up.
0 Replies