Tag Search

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 12:33 am
Hey, just released a new feature (in my off hours, even!) Now on the homepage and tag pages, the tag display is cleaner and easier to read. You will also see a text input box at the top of them. This works as a live tag search, so as you start typing a word, it will filter the tags on the site so you can easily find less popular content. Note that you need to type at least 2 characters for it to start, and if you delete everything in the input, it will re-display the original tag list.

That may have been a confusing explanation, but its late, so give me a break Wink

Play around with it, and enjoy!

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 12:44 am
@Nick Ashley,
And do note that there are still some changes coming to the tag lists and searches themselves and they are not finished. Navigating them is going to get much better within the next days/weeks.
dadpad

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 01:37 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks Nick (and Robert) I appreciate the effort you guys are making.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 01:58 am
Certainly looks better.

I tried persuing a tag the other day, and got a few decidedly odd results. We're always going to be at the mercy of the people who tag threads with an eye to creativity, right?
sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 04:57 am
@Nick Ashley,
Cool, thanks!
Izzie

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 05:00 am
@sozobe,
Oh, so much better Nick.... add on another couple brownie points on your day Wink

Thanking you.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 07:39 am
@Nick Ashley,
Very good!
Thanks, Nick.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 07:52 am
Hey, brilliant! The layout of the tags is much clearer now, but it's the search function that really rocks. That just multiplies the usefulness of the tags.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 07:56 am
@Nick Ashley,
Thanks! A huge improvement making the list so much easier to read!
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 07:57 am
Wow, it's really fast! Great feature!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 11:02 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I tried persuing a tag the other day, and got a few decidedly odd results. We're always going to be at the mercy of the people who tag threads with an eye to creativity, right?

A little, but right now there are some missing safeguards that make it particularly easy for one person to miscategorize threads. That should be fixed soon but the change would be to make it easier for the crowd to fix it, and it would still be possible to initially miscategorize.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 01:22 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Nick - possibly (probably, even) I missed the explanation for the site upgrade, but wasn't it to connect general search tags to search engines looking to place advertisements? So far I've seen no ads whatsoever on the new site. Btw, much cleaner layout, and the ability to ignore pests is priceless. Thank you!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 06:11 pm
Thank you, Nick and Robert. I think these changes are making the tag-skeptical and the tag-unsure among our number start to understand the power of these little words. Great job.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 06:21 pm
@jespah,
And thank you from a tag fan who is still developing tagging skills. As I exulted about before, I'm enthused about the possible and probable connective zings. I've barely gotten started..
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:39 pm
Tag search ROCKS, SUPER WELL DONE

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:46 pm
Quick heads up, the tag search sorts in a way that will cause some tags strings that are contained in a lot of other more popular tags (e.g. un, er) to not show up on the list (if many more tags containing the string are more popular than the shorter tag).

Right now I don't think such conditions exist, but if they show up before we put in our fix here's the heads up.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 03:41 pm
Very nice update to the tagging box! Nicely done!
0 Replies