What's the secret to home-made fries?

Eva

Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:45 pm
@RexRed,
Sweet potato fries are the BEST! Love 'em!

Oh, Bill? I do appreciate good handcut fries in restaurants or even homemade (provided I don't have to cook them.) But occasionally I do have cravings for McD's fast food fries. Apparently I'm not alone:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/survey364.htm
cjhsa

Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:46 pm
@Eva,
In-n-Out Burger.

http://www.in-n-out.com/
0 Replies

Green Witch

Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:48 pm
McDonald's sprinkles their fries with crack.

I prefer to make chips. Slice fresh potatoes very thin using a vegetable mandolin, heat peanut oil in a cast iron pan, place slices in the hot oil, don't crowd them, fry until brown and crunchy, drain, sprinkle with a light salt. I especially like to use blue potatoes.
ossobuco

Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:00 pm
@Green Witch,
That's similar to how I make scalloped potatoes.. well, the mandolin part.

Like sweet potato fries..

CalamityJane

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 01:14 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Like sweet potato fries..

Me too! I had them for the first time last year in a bistro style restaurant,
and they were delicious. Sweet potatoes are also more nutritious.

Why don't fast food places offer both varieties? I definitely would buy
sweet potato fries over regular ones.
0 Replies

alex240101

Thu 28 Aug, 2008 01:45 pm
Wife drowns rough cut fries in malt vinegar. Clothesline pin required, if sitting near her.
0 Replies

dadpad

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:15 am
@RexRed,
Quote:
BTW I am sure you all know but cut off the green part of the potato it is bad for the health.

only if you're pregnant.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Sun 23 Aug, 2015 05:07 pm
@Mame,
Make a fried potatoes that can be kinda like thick cut wedge fries if you cut them thus. I keep them in the skin myself (well rinsed of course, these things grow up in dirt afterall hehe.)

To make these as 'fries' without a deep fat fryer and just a regular skillet/pan, just slice them into thick-cut circular(ish) slices, then into halves. Fry normally (use canola oil myself but use whatever ya like,) to desired doneness (use salt, pepper, and dry minced onion) then when about done, lift each half-circle piece vertically so the middle end part gets done and smoosh them flat. This ensures they cook all the way through and while it isn't a typical french fry shape any more it's still a finger food sized portion of fried potato (and a darn sight healthier to boot hehe.)

Over top to 'medium' and just keep flipping them over and back until to desired doneness. Like mine dark brown and the dry minced onion turns black becomming very flavorful.

Canola oil shouldn't come to even half the thickness of the pieces but actual amount is kinda 'using the force' and not measured out. Smile
0 Replies

nevahagain

Sun 25 Oct, 2015 09:44 pm
@JustBrooke,
Soak in water...rinse...removes starch to make them crispy
0 Replies