Does Space Exploration Make Sense?

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:30 am
@Thomas,
It's generally believed that the human race was once confined to the continent of Africa. You figure we should have stayed there, or was there some benefit to exploration and colonization of the other continents? I'm not saying that colonizing other solar systems will lower taxes or cure cancer, just that exploration and colonization are inherently good.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:33 am
@Ragman,
I suppose that you would have told Columbus that financing his mission of exploration should have been delayed until poverty and disease were cured in Spain? He'd still be waiting. If there are trillions of planets circling trillions of stars, it seems awfully stupid to sit here on this speck of dust we were born on and explore nothing.
Seed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:55 am
@Brandon9000,
Sure I would have told him that. but hey, who listens to me anyways Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:13 am
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

they why not search for atlantis? The ocean floor is pretty much Unexlpored, and im sure that it would be easy to do that then to fly into space

Actually, it isn't. For one thing, it's harder to build ships to explore the ocean floor then it is to explore space.

Sounds funny, right? Maybe, until you think about the pressure differences involved. The difference between pressure at sea level and space is relatively tiny compared to the difference between pressure at sea level and the bottom of the ocean. It's much, much more difficult to build devices that will keep their structural integrity down there while still functioning, and very tough to get human beings to be able to live inside of these devices for any amount of time.

The hard part about space is getting there... but once we're up there, we understand how to survive pretty well and it isn't as difficult as you may think.

Cycloptichorn
Seed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:16 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Seed wrote:

they why not search for atlantis? The ocean floor is pretty much Unexlpored, and im sure that it would be easy to do that then to fly into space

Actually, it isn't. For one thing, it's harder to build ships to explore the ocean floor then it is to explore space.

Sounds funny, right? Maybe, until you think about the pressure differences involved. The difference between pressure at sea level and space is relatively tiny compared to the difference between pressure at sea level and the bottom of the ocean. It's much, much more difficult to build devices that will keep their structural integrity down there while still functioning, and very tough to get human beings to be able to live inside of these devices for any amount of time.

The hard part about space is getting there... but once we're up there, we understand how to survive pretty well and it isn't as difficult as you may think.

Cycloptichorn

So no one likes a challenge i see :-D
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:46 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

It makes little cents (pun intended) and robs dollars from important national priorities.

As much pro-technology as I am, when there are the huge billion dollar sums that go towards MORE exploration in place of feeding the helpless, poor elderly and the sick I feel priorities are skewed. What tangible good will there be for the welfare of 99.99% of the public if there was some provable evidence of life on Mars -- especially when you could take the same money and feed (or give meds to) 10,000 people who can't help themslves? If it's an either-or scenario, give the money towards the effort that helps the majority of the people.

First, go look up NASA's budget. (Preferably as a percent of GDP).

Next, go look up the budget allocated to the military.

Then, try to tell me again that our biggest problem is spending too much money on space exploration. (Why don't you call me on your cell phone when you do that, mkay?)
Seed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:53 am
@DrewDad,
Hey, that budget to the military helps keep me fed! :-D
DrewDad

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:05 am
@Seed,
It also provided your travel expenses to that lovely garden spot you now occupy....
Seed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:09 am
@DrewDad,
a double bladed sword it is.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:15 am
@Seed,
The US military budget is almost equal to the rest of the world's military spending combined. And that doesn't even count the black budgets and monies allocated to invade Iraq and Afghanistan which are not part of the military's budget.

You aren't that hard to feed, and the majority of the military spending (well over 75%) doesn't go to soldiers.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:29 am
@Robert Gentel,
the black ops budget is credibly placed at $30 billion a year
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/3.11/patton.html

there is also the $25 billion a year funneled through the Department of Energy not included in the official DOD cost statements.
Seed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:57 am
@hawkeye10,
it is an incredible sum of money. i have no idea what they do with it all. they sure as hell didnt give me a xmas bonus
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:07 pm
@Seed,
talk to anyone who has served in Iraq, they will be able to give you a clue. Very lightly supervised military accounts are free money for those who know how to access them. If you need larger amounts a line item note in an appropriation from Congress may be required, but it not like they are difficult to get or anything. You just need to know who to talk to and who to write the checks to. If you don't know there are a bunch of guides on K Street who, for a large fee, will show you how American Government works. It is not the process that they used to teach in government class on school, back when they used to teach Government in schools.
Seed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
lol im in iraq right now. and there is still very little be seen of what they do with the money in all honesty
0 Replies

LostBlackBook

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 06:23 pm
@thegalacticemperor,
Of course it makes sense.

Humanity is a disease and like all good diseases, there is a hard-wired set of instructions pushing us to expand outward.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 09:02 am
@LostBlackBook,
LostBlackBook wrote:
Of course it makes sense.

Humanity is a disease and like all good diseases, there is a hard-wired set of instructions pushing us to expand outward.

I love a well justified reason for doing something.
0 Replies

hater

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 09:44 pm
@thegalacticemperor,
no it does not. there is nothing to find in space. we are on the earth and the earth is the only life sustaining planet in the universe. leaving it behind is foolish.

there is nothing in space that will do us ANY good EVER. period
0 Replies