What does it mean to be rich?

tycoon

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 03:31 pm
The word "rich" seems to have a religious dimension, like the rich man and the camel. It seems so subjective though here in the real world. If someone were to ask you what it means to be rich, would you answer in dollar terms?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 887 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 03:53 pm
@tycoon,
I believe "rich" has many dimensions. For most of us, having good health is one of the most important wealth that we can have.

We are not "rich" money-wise, but feel we are rich in many ways. I have a good family and many good friends. I think there are many people considered "rich" because of the money and asset wealth, but I'm not so sure they are all that happy in their lives.

We all come to our own subjective definition of "rich," but I feel rich in many ways.
firefly

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I agree that it is mainly a subjective definition.

tycoon, for me, the word "rich" has no particular religious dimension, although I think "richness" of life may well include a broader, spiritual dimension.

What does it mean to be rich?

I think it means to have abundance--the abundance to satisfy one's needs/wants/obligations--to be essentially free from want or deprivation in most main aspects or areas of one's life.

The abundance can be material or emotional, or intellectual, or physical, and it can come from both external sources and from within oneself . One can, indeed, have a wealth of talent, and can be blessed with the riches of imagination and creativity. One can have a rich emotional life and can enjoy the pleasures of companionship with friends and family, appreciate a beautiful sunset, be moved by a piece of music, and generally experience a sense of loving and being loved . One can have intellectual riches and the intelligence to learn and think in a way which keeps life forever stimulating. One can have physical riches--good health, strength, and robust energy. And, of course, one can have material wealth, with enough assets to satisfy one's needs for security and survival, and whatever else can be purchased.

So, if you asked me what it means to be rich, I wouldn't give you a dollar amount. Material riches are only part of the equation, and my basic needs go far beyond the material. I'd consider myself "rich" only if I felt an abundance in all main aspects of my life, and that would mean that my emotional and intellectual needs were satisfied, as well as having enough monetary wealth to free me from having to worry or think about money at all.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:28 pm
@firefly,
firefly, Well said, and I agree.
0 Replies