China "Threatening" North Korea?

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 01:35 am
Boy, I think I hope THIS turns out to be much ado about nothing!

Quote:

SEPT 15, 2003
China 'sends 150,000 troops to N. Korean border'
HONG KONG - China has deployed up to 150,000 troops on its border with North Korea to deter Pyongyang's nuclear build-up and contain mounting violence from rogue North Korean soldiers, a report here said yesterday.

Five divisions of Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) troops had been deployed in Yanbian Korean autonomous prefecture, bordering North Korea, since last month, an unidentified security source in China was quoted as saying by Hong Kong's Sunday Morning Post.

Large troop movements and new military barracks had also surfaced in the border towns of Hanchun, Tumen, Kaishan, Sanhe and Baijing, while air force jets had frequently been seen flying over the capital Yanji, 40km from the border, the report added.

The 150K figure would represent roughly 10% of the Chinese Active Duty Army, with the reports indicating the units involved are among the better ones China disposes. Troubling if true.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 955 • Replies: 8
No top replies

au1929

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:16 am
Timber
Why do you find that troubling? I should think it would be just the opposite. China may be able to resolve the N. Korean problem without our involvement.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:08 am
China's way of resolving the problem may include gunfire, bloodshed,and musroom clouds, as well as a "solution" that involves annexing the entire penninsula.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:24 am
When is the last time we saw how China dispatches such trouble? Watching with trepidation and great interest.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:56 am
Sofia wrote:
When is the last time we saw how China dispatches such trouble? Watching with trepidation and great interest.

1950, perhaps?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:01 am
Waiting and watching with the rest of you.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:28 am
Hobitbob
Quote:
China's way of resolving the problem may include gunfire, bloodshed, and mushroom clouds, as well as a "solution" that involves annexing the entire peninsula.

I hate to say it but the Bloodshed and gunfire has been our legacy for the last 50 years not China's. IMO it is nothing more than a display of force.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 10:09 am
Actually, the last tims China used her army on foreign soil was in 1979, in a rather ill-fated attempt at intervention in Vietnam.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 04:01 pm
Didn't know that. Hmm. Thanks Timber. Smile
0 Replies