Who is your favorite hypocrite?

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:22 pm
I stumbled across this MSN 'Hypocrisy Hall of Shame' http://specials.msn.com/AreTheyHypocrites.aspx?cp-documentid=9374298&imageindex=1
It is by no means an exhaustive list but, yaknow...that's the idea.

So, who's your favorite hypocrite in the world history? (don't need to be just the U.S.of A.)

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:31 pm
Too numerous to even contemplate any one individual; or even many. LOL
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 07:03 pm
Well, this is perhaps not exactly hypocrisy, but I had to chuckle when I read the bio of the relationship advice expert Barbara DeAnglis.... She divorced six times in her lifetime.
She sold millions of books and family therapists (including my own dear mother) use her approaches...Maybe she just enjoyed marriage too much.
Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 07:39 pm
@dagmaraka,
Dammit, Dasha, this is such a hard question! Way too many choices for my little brain.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 07:40 pm
It's an overwhelming topic. Maybe I will come back with something.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 07:43 pm
@Thomas,
I'd have to say Konrad Adenauer for saying Wir blicken in einen Abrund von Landesverrat (We are looking into an abyss of treason). I'd explain, but I don't think many American readers know who Konrad Adenauer was.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 07:51 pm
@dagmaraka,
Well, Benjamin Spock's books changed the way we started raising our children, yet he himself was unable to give his own children the love they
needed.
Quote:
Yet for all his compassionate advice to the mothers of the world, Spock mirrored his father's inability to give his own sons the love they needed. Grandson Peter's suicide and Spock's divorce after 48 years of marriage (because of his wife's repeated breakdowns, induced by alcoholism and medication abuse) shattered the image of the ideal family man.

http://www.vision.org/visionmedia/article.aspx?id=583
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:19 pm
Expressing an ideal and living said ideal are not one and the same!

Assuming said ideal is, in and of itself merited, I for one wouldn't necessarily condemn the holder of said ideal to that same standard.

Why?

Because we are all human and thus fallible.

On the other hand, if the holder of said (assume merited) ideal attempts to impose it on others but not on himself, then that's good cause for ridicule.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:34 pm
@Thomas,
Please explain.
I remember him.

David
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:52 pm
@Thomas,
I recall the name, but not who he was.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Looked him up on Wickepedia.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:22 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I'd explain, but I don't think many American readers know who Konrad Adenauer was.

Isn't that a prime reason for explaining?
solipsister

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:23 pm
@DrewDad,
Aeschines
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:33 pm
Does 'favorite' mean 'biggest' , Dagmaraka?

Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:17 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
thomas wrote:
I'd explain, but I don't think many American readers knowwho Konrad Adenauer was.

Isn't that a prime reason for explaining?

No -- it's the reason I'm so much cooler than American readers. Wink

Konrad Adenauer was Germany's first chancellor. And to understand why he's my favorite hypocrite, you first need to know this piece of background. In Germany, we have a weekly magazine called Der Spiegel -- comparable to Time, Newsweek and the Economist, but more agressive in its reporting and critical in its opinions. Adenauer was a patriarch by temperament, and the Spiegel's irreverent and sometimes acid criticism had irked him since he became chancellor in 1949.

In 1961, Der Spiegel published an article criticizing Adenauer's cabinet in general, and defense minister Franz Joseph Strauss in particular. Because the administration mismanaged our armed forces, argued the Spiegel, there was now a real threat that Soviet forces stationed in East Germany could march through Germany into France, and we would not have enough military power to prevent it.

The criticized cabinet addressed the problem promptly: On learning about the impeding publication of the issue, the defense minister (yes, the same Franz Joseph Strauss whose mismanagement the article had just), ordered the German police to seize all copies of the issue. He ordered Hamburg police to raid the Spiegel building and arrest the editorial team, including Rudolf Augstein, the chief editor and founder of the magazine. Strauss did that without a warrant, of course -- he had, after all, no police power at all under the German constitution. Furthermore, knowing that an important Spiegel reporter was currently in Spain, he ordered the ambassador to ask Spain's fascist government to arrest him. And once again, Strauss lacked even the slightest constitutional authority to do that. He was, after all, the minister of defense, not the foreign minister.

This whole thing, known in Germany as the Spiegel-Affaere, was a blatant, hair-raising, toe-nail-curling, you name it, violation of the constitution.

A few days later, the Bundestag, our parliament, held a hearing about the affair in the Plenum. Adenauer spoke to the whole parliament, and didn't address the constitutional problems with one word. He didn't address the deteriorating state of national security either. For him, it was all about the Spiegel and its critical article, which he alleged to have sold out national security to the enemy. His flaming speech started with the now-infamous words, "We are looking into an abyss of treason."

Of course, the Spiegel had not revealed a single state secret, and Adenauer knew that very well. His whole outrage against the Spiegel was a sham. But for a few weeks, he appeared to get through with it. The parliament bought it. Germany's mainstream press, instead of standing up for the freedom of the press, quickly denounced their competitor. They didn't wake up until a journalist called Sebastian Haffner, writing in a variety magazine called Der Stern ("the Star"), hammered home that it was the constitutional breaches that were the real scandal in this affair. (Note to self: remember to make Haffner my next avatar.)

After Haffner had hammered home his point things returned to normal. Der Spiegel ultimate won all the lawsuits that flew out of the affair. Franz Joseph Strauss soon lost his job as minister of defense. Germany's young democracy had asserted itself.

Nevertheless, the hypocricy in Adenauer's abyss of treason speech had a certain chuzpah to it that I tacitly admire. And the way Adenauer initially duped all the watchdogs in government and society, which was scary and which I don't approve of it in the least, does deserve some grudging respect.

And that's why Adenauer is my favorite hypocrite in history.
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:44 am
I am my favourite hypocrite, because I am the hypocrite I live with.

I don't think I am especially hypocritical, but I know I can be, and I hate it.

I think it is a very common human trait.

That being said, I will now go away and try to think of my favourite FAMOUS hypocrite.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:05 am
I vote for all the MegaChurch preachers who spew fire and brimstone at every sexual act you can imagine, and then seem to be the worst offenders.

Here's just one example among many...

Wiki wrote:
Ted Arthur Haggard (June 27, 1956) is a former American evangelical preacher. Known as Pastor Ted to the congregations he served, he is the founder and former pastor of the New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado; a founder of the Association of Life-Giving Churches; and was leader of the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE) from 2003 until November 2006.

In November 2006, he resigned or was removed from all of his leadership positions after he admitted patronizing prostitute Mike Jones for homosexual sex and methamphetamine. Initially Haggard denied even knowing Mike Jones, but as a media investigation proceeded he acknowledged that some allegations, such as his purchase of methamphetamine, were true. He later added "sexual immorality" to his list of confessions.

After the scandal was publicized, Haggard entered three weeks of intensive counseling, overseen by four ministers. On February 6, 2007 one of those ministers, Tim Ralph, stated that Haggard "is completely heterosexual." Ralph later said he meant to say that therapy "gave Ted the tools to help to embrace his heterosexual side."

I might extend the accusation of hypocrisy to evangelical religion in general, for it seems that in many cases their specific beliefs are often in conflict with the core tenets of the religions they preach.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:12 am
@Thomas,
Interesting stuff, Thomas, thanks.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 08:25 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
but I don't think many American readers know who Konrad Adenauer was

That's what's cool about a thread like this.

You have to go look up all the people you don't remember what they did, or you never knew!

Heh...I'll trump your German exceptionalism version of coolness, and say Bob Santamaria.

Take that!
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 08:36 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Does 'favorite' mean 'biggest' , Dagmaraka?

No, not necessarily. I picked DeAngelis, cause I always see her books scattered around my mother's house. I read some of her work since my mother swears by her (and my mom is a great therapist, if I may say so myself).... then I came across her bio and had to laugh.... so it's whoever you find interesting, whoever jumps out in your mind....and doesn't even have to be famous.
0 Replies