Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 03:45 pm
This is a temporary gathering spot for announcements of new features, bug fixes, tweaks and other such stuff announced by Nick, Craven (aka Robert) and company. If you find such announcements elsewhere, please copy and paste them here. Before doing so, please review what's already here so we don't duplicate efforts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,664 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 03:46 pm
Nick Ashley wrote:

I appreciate the welcomes, everyone. I'm pretty busy with bugfixes and feature updates, so don't have a ton of time to post, but I wanted to acknowledge everyone that's been replying. I suspect I will never have time to post as much as I'd like, because I will always have to make the decision of using the site, or building the site, and unfortunately both those activities are in direct competition for my freetime.

We just released a bunch of updates, including quoting (check your preferences), some automatic voting when replying to posts, and bbcode editor stickyness. So be sure to check out those features that interest you.

Also note, that we are pushing out updates as fast as we can, and as soon as we feel they are ready. This means that we won't always have time to announce to everyone what the feature is, and how to use it. Sorry in advance for that. We'll do our best, but if you notice something that looks new, go ahead and make a new thread about it (and tag it 'able2know').

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 03:53 pm
Nick Ashley wrote:

It seems I pushed an update that caused major problems, in that none of you could create new threads. I believe I have fixed this, but will keep a close eye on things. We are making improvements as fast as possible, and sometimes that means accidentally pushing code live that hasn't been 100% tested. Sorry for the hassle.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 03:58 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

You're not wrong, the big difference is that you can use bbcode on the profile now. So you could put pictures, links etc in your member description. Someone should go bump up phoenix's thread to get people to try to do something creative with it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:04 pm
Reyn wrote:

I've noticed that there are two changes to My Preferences this morning.

1 - Layout: static / liquid
Keeping this on 'liquid' eliminates the horizontal scroll bar for me.

2- Minimum topic/post votes:
Has 'No Minimum' taken the place of 'No Collapsing'?

It would be nice to have a brief explanation next to these features to give an idea as to how to use them and what they're about.

With all the changes that has happened from the old to the new site, keeping up and educating oneself has become quite challenging.

Reyn wrote:

ossobuco wrote:
I still don't see where I can check liquid or static in my preferences, speaking of 'duh'.

Osso, see the screen print below where 'Layout' is.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/Reyn2244/pref.jpg

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:06 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:

Don't know if it was here that the bbcode editor was reported as an annoyance but that's been addressed (clear your cache for it to work) and now if you show the toolbar on one of your posts it will be open by default for you till you close it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:57 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but the auto up on reply tweak is tipping the balance more toward positive. The trivia threads are all growing back up as new people reply to them.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:04 pm
Nick Ashley wrote:

We have just rolled out a new version of the 'My Posts' page which I hope you all like. It should be more useful now, as it shows topics that you have posted in, but not individual posts themselves.

You can now sort this data in all the ways you are hopefully becoming accustomed to (new posts, most votes, etc..). This change, along with today's earlier release of display the username of the last poster on grids, should help improve the user experience.

We may tweak this grid even further in the future, and perhaps bring back the functionality of the old grid in a new location. But for now, play around with it, and hopefully it's an improvement!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:20 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:

A2K doesn't cache anything with the gravatars. They cache it themselves and your browsers can cache it, and between the two there are some long delays and can potentially see it go back and forth between them.

Most of the times I saw people saying they saw the wrong avatar, clearing the browser cache would solve it. Other times they just need to wait for gravatar. One hint is when they say that they see the right on on the profile and the wrong one on posts, that usually means the post one is in their cache, but their profile (which they visit less often) isn't.

In any case, gravatars aren't affected by A2K much at all, we just link to them and the rest is between their servers and your computer.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 07:51 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The number of threads per page is now set to 50 instead of 20.

Thank you, thank you! Anything which takes less clicks = much happier cyclo!

Cycloptichron
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:55 pm
Butrflynet wrote:

In case anyone hasn't noticed, if you visit someone's profile page, it now gives a list of their most recent posts. This is different from clicking on their My Posts list because it gives a view of the content of the post rather than just listing the thread title.

Looks like Nick found a place to put that code from the original My Posts list.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 04:33 pm
Ummn the name is RexRed not Rex Reed... You're not a friend.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 05:54 pm
@RexRed,
Did you post in the wrong thread or just have a brain fart?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 11:40 pm
I don't know if I should list this here, but the "Reputation" line from one's profile is currently not listed, although Robert Gentel reports HERE that this is just tempory.
0 Replies