The Problem with Thumbs up...or Down

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:26 am
Checking in to see if there is anything new on the thumbs up/down bru ha ha. See that the discussion is north and south nipples.
Raise eyebrows and decide to go on to bed.
Good night all.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:00 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Maybe I just wanted to hide her individual posts. Isn't that a valid reason for a thumbs down? Does that affect the rep? It shouldn't, for your rep shouldn't drop just b/c people aren't interested in your conversation.

This is my point, exactly.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:10 am
@nimh,
http://www.extremefunnyhumor.com/pics/show%20me%20your%20tits.jpg

Very Happy
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:12 am
I don't like the new automatic thumbs up if you post in a thread.

It means I can't be neutral since I can't take the vote back but can only change it to a down vote.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:50 pm
@parados,
Not having the undo was partly to steer towards getting more data and causing thought for use of the thumbs, but autoup changes that so I think it makes sense to have the ability to undo now.
Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:40 am
I still have no indication of the criteria involved in voting up or down on a thread. What thought process is used in deciding up or down? Is it just whatever name is used for the thread, content, longevity?
How about a clue?

Habeas corpus, a good concept. Smile
DrewDad

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:45 am
@Gelisgesti,
Each individual user has his or her own criteria. Some may do it by user, some by whether they are interested by the thread title, some by whether they're tired of that particular thread.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:46 am
@Robert Gentel,
That had been bothering me too. I agree that having an option to undo (rather than vote down/ collapse it) would make sense.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:48 am
@Gelisgesti,
Do you want to keep seeing the topic on your list, or not? That's about the only criteria for downing a topic. At certain times of the night, the activity seems to be what used to be word games & trivia. Most of them are no bother because I no longer see them.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:59 am
@Bella Dea,
Near as I can tell, it's mainly a handful of posters with agendas who cast votes. So far I haven't seen a reason to like the new system as well as the old.
JPB

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:05 pm
@gungasnake,
I haven't voted down any posts and doubt that I will in the future. I have voted down topics that I know I will never want to enter so that I don't have to scroll through them. I would like to be able to do that without decrementing the approval count and I believe craven/nick are working on a way to do that.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:11 pm
@JPB,
I also vote down topics that I don't want to see. I do feel that a better method would be to have the ability to collapse a thread without adding or rather taking away from it's value to others.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:38 pm
@Intrepid,
adding or taking away its AVALABILITY to others rather....and I would add also communicating implications about the posts value to the community to the community.

Giving the individual the ability to Tailor the a2k experience to his desires never needed to dig so deeply into community engineering, views can be altered without impacting other peoples views in any way. It would still be a bad idea because with out shared experience there is no community, but it would have been less harmful than what was chosen.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 02:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
I can't see your name or avatar anymore. I wonder what happened.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 04:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
IMO, one can always select "reply to all" if one does not wish to vote up a post.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 04:49 pm
@DrewDad,
That still votes up the thread itself. What I'm planning is a no-vote option where if you click the selected thumb it will just undo the vote and you don't need to vote the opposite to change it.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 05:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
OK, no worries.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:43 am
@Robert Gentel,
Not really liking the Zero bottom. Does everyone really have to be a winner? (I swear OmSigDavid's English has improved since the voting feature went on line...)
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 11:16 am
@OCCOM BILL,
You said and I quote... "If someone is sufficiently disruptive to earn a negative rep; I think they've earned it."

What about folks who discuss topics that are not interesting to the 'most frequent posting group' ? They will be thumbed down for boredom by SOME.

It is just obvious to me, and to many others... this site will not be the same.
Shadows of 'reaching out' and the accidentally 'coming across' a topic,
that COULD just 'grab you' yet it never had before....
Mame

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 11:33 am
@theollady,
theollady wrote:

You said and I quote... "If someone is sufficiently disruptive to earn a negative rep; I think they've earned it."

What about folks who discuss topics that are not interesting to the 'most frequent posting group' ? They will be thumbed down for boredom by SOME.

Well, and so what? So this artificial voting system and reputation deal gives you a number. Big deal. Don't take it so personally.
0 Replies