sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Oh, that's cool.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
So every time I reply it goes up? (This is a test, too.)

That makes sense -- most replied to are often most valuable/ interesting.

Cooool.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:08 pm
@sozobe,
Only once per person. So if you reply to the same thing 10 times it's not going to count for 10 votes. So it's a little more democratized than pure volume of replies.
nimh

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:20 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
Plus, at the moment I'm being voted down because I started a thread on the spirituality and religion board about homosexuality (and you know me, I'm open minded, I try as hard as possible to be understanding) but evidently it's a touchy issue and people have voted against it because it offends them, not because it's an unintelligent topic or a boring issue.

Not "evidently" at all. People could be voting it for all kinds of reasons. The obvious one being they're just not interested in the subject, or not interested in following a subject like that on a2k. You may think it fascinating, and others will too of course - but yes, there are also a lot of people who find it a "boring issue".

Quote:
This is REALLY obvious, since before the new A2K came along I'd posted the SAME thread under a slightly different name on the relationships and marriage forum- the status of that thread is now at 0 instead of -3, and is backed up with supporting quotes such as 'interesting topic pq.' etc etc.
Point proven.

Hardly. The reason your old thread is still at 0 and your new thread is down at -3 is because, well, your old thread is old. And thus likely to be buried deeper in the archive. So a lot fewer people are likely to have seen it in this past week or so since we've had voting. Few people have seen it = few people voting on it = the thread's net score will remain close to 0 or 1.

A new thread you started now, though, will have gotten the whole rush of initial views while voting was already active. So a lot more people will have been voting on it, which makes the chance that it sinks or climbs further away from 0 or 1 proportionally larger.

So no, the comparison doesn't mean what you take it to mean.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
that's cool, but wait til they're above -11; all the people who thumbed 'em down will then get upset. Confused
Robert Gentel wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but the auto up on reply tweak is tipping the balance more toward positive. The trivia threads are all growing back up as new people reply to them.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:24 pm
@yitwail,
Maybe if they notice, given that they thumbed them down it will be collapsed for them and I don't think they'll care.
JPB

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Nice tweak.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
ah, i see, if a user thumbs down a topic, then regardless of what the user's threshold is or the cumulative topic score, it's always collapsed for the user? then the suggestion i read somewhere to have all threads start with some large positive score like 100 say makes more sense to me than it did on first reading.
old europe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Nice tweak!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:00 pm
@yitwail,
That was our own musings and was Nick's joke/solution, but we'll probably do something else that makes more sense (like make the thumbs up the primary view).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I see.

I like.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:22 pm
A quick question - with this change if I reply to someone else's post it automaticly gives their post a thumbs up.

What happens if I didn't like their post? If I go back and change it to a thumbs down does it count as a net "-1" or does the thumbs down vote simply cancel out the automatic thumbs up resulting a net "0" vote?

I guess I need to go test it....
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I haven't worked my way through this whole thread, and I am, generally, not happy with these A2K changes that seem to be solely for the sake of change (Hey!I'm a conservative), but I cannot ignore an rare opportunity to align myself with Cyclo.

This rating/reputation shite is too similiar to Abuzz for my liking. It can be and will be abused.

I don't really care what my Rep score turns out to be, but this whole scoring business is just a Middle School imperative masked in elitist BS.

We don't need scoring to bypass a thread by Ramafuchs, and the notion that scoring protects new members from Rama is utter BS.

I haven't had the time to explore all the changes but I couldn't agree more with Cyclo - the rating mechanism is an unnecessary and bad addition.

The eventual result will be homogenized (and probably Liberal) circle jerks.

(Pardon my French and please don't rate me down as a result)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:06 pm
@fishin,
OK, I answered my own question. If I go back and give the post I'm replying to a thumbs down it has the net effect of a -1.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:07 pm
@fishin,
If you already have a vote, it won't change it, and you can change the selection afterward just like before.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:29 pm
In my view, the problem with this new voting thing is that it's dual purpose.

1- As a navigation tool, to get topics out of your way which doesn't interest you.

2- As a way to approve or disapprove of someone's topic.

It should be either one, but not both. I think this feature is flawed.

And for heaven's sake, please do away with the "reputation" thing. People can make up their own mind (at least eventually) if they want to reply to any particular poster, or ask them a question.
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:32 pm
@Reyn,
If i show my tits, can I have a high reputation?? Very Happy
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:33 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Yes. But only if you do it really quickly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 07:30 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Absolutely!

*waits*

(but dont bring me that little-blue-bird nonsense, 'k??)
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:51 pm
@shewolfnm,
depends on whether your nipples are pointing north or south....
0 Replies