Latest My Preferences changes

Reyn

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:40 am
I've noticed that there are two changes to My Preferences this morning.

1 - Layout: static / liquid
Keeping this on 'liquid' eliminates the horizontal scroll bar for me.

2- Minimum topic/post votes:
Has 'No Minimum' taken the place of 'No Collapsing'?

It would be nice to have a brief explanation next to these features to give an idea as to how to use them and what they're about.

With all the changes that has happened from the old to the new site, keeping up and educating oneself has become quite challenging.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,961 • Replies: 20
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:05 pm
@Reyn,
Looks like it, re the minimums, Reyn, and has a default setting of no minumum for either posts or topics, as in No Collapsing by others' choices re what you see.

On liquid and static, I don't see that..
Reyn

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
On the liquid and static, not only do I not know, I don't know think I know about a horizontal scroll bar in the first place.

Well, it may depend on one's set up, but I tried both liquid and static, and I did notice that I was able to make the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the screen go away.

I'm assuming that the post gets reformatted.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:23 pm
@Reyn,
You have/had a horizontal scroll bar? Are you running a low resolution on your screen?

Cycloptichorn
squinney

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Haven't checked recently, but yes, on the Beautiful Animals thread I had a scroll bar across the side AND bottom of a post where a large pic was posted on the first day of the site change over.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:40 pm
@squinney,
Ah, I see. I wonder if the static setting re-sizes pictures to prevent scrolling. Does anyone have a link to an oversized photo for us to test?

Hell, I'll test it right here. Sorry if it stretches the page.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3287/2719403381_999b3dba1f_o.jpg

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Okay, so it seems that the 'static' setting keeps the site at the same width all the time, which is much thinner then my screen - but doesn't directly affect the per-post scrolling option. It just went away b/c the entire site stretched itself further.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:43 pm
Resolution set well below maximum on my screen--I don't like the fine print to be microscopic--but yes, horizontal scroll worked well on the big tree. If the tree goes all the way to the top in the actual photo though, the scroll will only go so far and does not reach the top of the tree. (Or the bottom. You do get quite a bit of trunk by the time you scroll it as far as it will go though.)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:47 pm
@Foxfyre,
Haha, that tree was somewhere around 200-300 feet tall - the pic is all there! I'd have to have some sort of crazy wide-angle lens to capture the whole thing.

The horizontal scrolling per post is a GREAT new feature, didn't see that one before now!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:00 pm
@squinney,
Thanks, Squinney. (says duh to self)

I still don't see where I can check liquid or static in my preferences, speaking of 'duh'.
Reyn

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Are you running a low resolution on your screen?

I run 800x600 resolution.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:50 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I still don't see where I can check liquid or static in my preferences, speaking of 'duh'.

Osso, see the screen print below where 'Layout' is.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/Reyn2244/pref.jpg
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:56 pm
The latest preference should be popular, it's the old quote button feature. This way, it's not a confusing extra button for new people but those who use quotes extensively can enable it. I've already set mine one and like having it back.
old europe

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
The latest preference should be popular, it's the old quote button feature. This way, it's not a confusing extra button for new people but those who use quotes extensively can enable it. I've already set mine one and like having it back.

Very cool!
roger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks, Rob
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:55 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:

Very cool!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 12:45 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:
Robert Gentel wrote:
Very cool!
ditto! thanks Robert!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:00 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Thanks for pointing it out.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:41 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Thank you x 1 million

Best feature restore evah!!!!

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
Intrepid

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:

Thank you x 1 million

Best feature restore evah!!!!

Cheers
Cycloptichorn

You said it. It beats typing in the code every time. Very Happy
0 Replies