Fish fest in the middle of Kansas

JPB

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 09:50 am
We spent a lovely day gathering supplies for a true feast. We hit the farmer's market and have plenty of fixings for assorted side dishes and we hit the fish market and came home with trout, salmon, snapper and the biggest sea scallops I've ever seen. The plan is to break out the smoker/grill and cook up the lot.

Got any fish stories, er.. recipes, you'd like to share?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,561 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:00 pm
@JPB,
I'll post something I like myself, not sure about what others might feel about it -

I once tried to copy the way a local restaurant served their fresh salmon, with a sort of remoulade sauce. I never managed to make mine taste exactly like theirs, but I may even like mine better.

Remoulade to Serve Salmon Over -

I use two large brown onions, sliced and chopped and sometimes more depending on how many onions I have at hand
Probably three tablespoons olive oil
I saute the onions in the oil with fairly low flame for a long time, perhaps 30-40 minutes, until they're nice and translucent
Add some salt and lots of ground black pepper
At the end I add probably a teaspoon and a half of a good ground mustard
Often add juice of half a lemon

Since I don't grill, I bake my salmon lying on the bed of previously cooked onions..
0 Replies

deedeexx

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:24 pm
@JPB,
Hi JPB, couple of recipes from Down Under if you wish. I know you said you wanted to smoker/grill but an easy and effective way to cook salmon without any hassle is to poach in the liquid from tin of mangoes and then serve with the mango pieces. I do mine in the oven and it is very tasty without too much trouble. Another way I serve salmon is with a sticky sauce - lightly saute salmon in sesame oil and then add (for four serves of salmon) 4 tablespoons kecap manis plus half a cup of water and cook for a further two minutes until the sauce has reduced and become thick.

Fish parcels are another easy way to cook fish and you can add chilli, corriander, lemon grass, soy and whatever vegies you like to alfoil parcels and place in the grill.

Asian greens and mashed sweet potatoes is a nice compliment to salmon dishes.

Enjoy your cook up.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 06:32 am
@JPB,
Weve been eating lots of fresh clams and mussels up here in Maine. Weve had a few lobsters but, like any really rich food, lobster can get to be too much of a good thing if eaten more than once in a week. (Weve gone about 2 weeks since our last ones but weve eaten clams almost every other day, even when we were on the boat) I love clams, just steamed and eaten with butter or garlic broth.
mismi

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 06:40 am
@farmerman,
That Snapper would be good like DeeDee said...in foil parcels. Slice lemon and take some stalks of Thyme and a drizzle of Olive oil....as well as a chopped tomato - I have even put capers in. You can set it on the grill and cook until flakey - yum.

Sounds delicious and like SO much FUN! Hugs to you all!
mis
0 Replies

Tooth Fairy Recipes

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:16 am
@JPB,
Hi JPB
This is a favourite fish cake recipe of mine:

Ingredients:

* 4 large Potatoes (1.2 kg)
* 1 can Tuna (185 g), drained
* 1 large Onion, finely chopped
* 1 Egg, beaten
* 2 tbsp plain Flour
* 2 tbsp Breadcrumbs
* 1 tsp Lemon juice
* 3 tbsp Olive Oil
* Salt and Pepper

Method:

-Peel the potatoes and cut them into chunks. Cook the potato pieces in a large saucepan of boiling water for 15 minutes or until soft inside.
-Meanwhile, mix chopped onion with tuna flakes in a large bowl.
-Drain the potatoes and mash them with a potato masher or a fork and add to the tuna and onion mixture. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
-Make the mixture into small patties in your hand then cover them first with flour, then dip them in the beaten egg, before coating them with breadcrumbs.
-Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the fish cakes over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side.
-Serve hot with a green salad.

Happy cooking:-)
X M
0 Replies