Is it safe to eat fish?

Tue 21 Jan, 2014 05:45 pm
Here is an interesting piece from the NC Health Dept. regarding the safety of eating fish. Some fish contain more mercury than others.

While not discussed here, there is a question about fish caught in the Pacific that may have been contaminated by the explosion of the nuclear plant in Japan.

http://epi.publichealth.nc.gov/oee/mercury/safefish.html

View best answer, chosen by Advocate
farmerman

Tue 21 Jan, 2014 05:54 pm
@Advocate,
every state has a fish advisory list. In PA we must look our for some of those listed above plus
Striped bass from the Susquehanna
ANYTHING from the Schuylkill

Weve got PCBs , mercury, TCDD, and lots of other neat chemicals.
One was to limit your inate of organics as well as heavy meatsl is to NOT include the belly strip and dark meat along the sides of fillet.

Course, Im 63 nd Ive got not much to lose since my breeding days are over and Im probably already loaded with other stuff
Advocate

Tue 21 Jan, 2014 05:59 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

every state has a fish advisory list. In PA we must look our for some of those listed above plus
Striped bass from the Susquehanna
ANYTHING from the Schuylkill

Weve got PCBs , mercury, TCDD, and lots of other neat chemicals.
One was to limit your inate of organics as well as heavy meatsl is to NOT include the belly strip and dark meat along the sides of fillet.

Course, Im 63 nd Ive got not much to lose since my breeding days are over and Im probably already loaded with other stuff

Thanks for the interesting post.

I have been eating a large amount of fish of various sorts, and will now try to cut back. I have already pretty much eliminated meat because of the drugs pumped into the animals, mad-cow desease, etc. I hope that chicken is reasonably safe.
Ragman

Tue 21 Jan, 2014 06:02 pm
@Advocate,
Why cut it out at all? just eat organic farm-raised and from the low-in-mercury list. I have been eating farm-raised salmon for years..and ... wait ...wait ...

I already have cancer. Oops! Never mind!@
Advocate

Tue 21 Jan, 2014 06:19 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Why cut it out at all? just eat organic farm-raised and from the low-in-mercury list. I have been eating farm-raised salmon for years..and ... wait ...wait ...

I already have cancer. Oops! Never mind!@

Cancer is not a joking matter. I hope you were joking.
farmerman

Tue 21 Jan, 2014 06:20 pm
@Advocate,
they've stopped feeding prion laden chicken feed. Our mill certifies only grain with no meat nd feather meal.
YA gotta read every damned label.
Course, there is NO valid data that says PCBs cause anything. That's been pretty much been debunked ever since the skin disease in Japanese fishermen who'd been exposed to REALLY HIGH levels of PCB's. Howver no ones been able to show any carcinogenic effects from eating foods tainted with PCBs (that means all congeners)
0 Replies

Ragman

Tue 21 Jan, 2014 07:09 pm
@Advocate,
Was I joking about having cancer? Hardly!

Was I joking about having cancer and using my sense of humor to express myself and not folding my tent? Guilty. That's my way of looking at the world and keeping my sanity.
0 Replies

AndrewFerrol

Tue 21 Jan, 2014 11:39 pm
GReat news.. Well, That doesn’t mean it’s unsafe to eat all fish caught on the Pacific West Coast. I’m taking a precautionary approach: fish will stay part of my diet, as long as they’re caught locally and sustainably, and will remain so until new research gives me pause to reconsider.
0 Replies

Jordan Jones5
  Selected Answer

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 01:42 am
@Advocate,
Ofcourse its safe to eat fish..it has benefits for heart and brain, it is high in Omega 3 fatty acids.
Advocate

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 05:48 pm
@Jordan Jones5,
Are you with the Association of Seafood Processors?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 05:56 pm
@Jordan Jones5,
Fish live in water. Water varies and the fish in those waters vary. I'm like farmerman, I'll still love eating good fresh fish, but I will pay attention to places like the Monterey Bay Aquarium fish avoid list.

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_recommendations.aspx
ossobuco

Wed 22 Jan, 2014 09:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Mean time, I'm presently living in New Mexico, where I take eating market fish is silly.

My neighbor told me about northern new mexico salmon, re our fish talk. I won't be chasing that, but she remembers...
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 23 Jan, 2014 11:29 am
I know when I was pregnant, I was told to avoid certain types of fish because of the mercury content. I was also told to not have more than 1 serving a month of tuna fish (you know the canned stuff). It was horrible because I craved the stuff - so exactly one month from the last I would eat and savor tuna.

Funny someone mentions farmed raised - I have read that farm raised is actually not good for you (and wild tends to taste better anyway) due to enclosures and tend to have higher PCBs, more fatty, higher mercury and toxic man-made chemicals than the wild caught. Although I have heard that even with farmed raised the health benefits outweigh the negatives.

In any case, I tend to eat wild caught - it tastes better - at least it seems so and don't worry about all the stuff in general -- as it seems whatever you eat has some sort of "safety issue."
farmerman

Thu 23 Jan, 2014 01:32 pm
@Linkat,
Actually farm raised fish (like salmon) contain more Omeg 3's and LESS mercury than do wild caught. Wild caught are pelagic in the zones of the worlds big OUTFALLS.

W
Linkat

Thu 23 Jan, 2014 02:05 pm
@farmerman,
There is definately controversy around that as many reports state the opposite.

It depends in large part for both wild and farmed where you get it from. According to the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch, all farmed salmon other than an open-pen salmon farm, other farm raised are rated “avoid,” but they do note that salmon farming has come a long way.

http://seattletimes.com/html/foodwine/2021993598_farmedsalmon09xml.html

And this has a nutrientional chart of the differences.

http://www.prevention.com/which-healthier-wild-salmon-vs-farmed-salmon
demo45151

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 04:12 am
eating fish is good for health.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 04:56 am
@Linkat,
I did some more looking up and found the opinions all over the map. I noticed that the spokesmen for each side seem to put down the other.
Wording is important. methylmercury is the toxin . It appeared that "farmed salmon" had some higher levels of toxins but wild salmon is high in methylemercuury . Enough so, to generate an advisory for pregnant women.

ANY riverine fish , unless the entry waters are pristine (nd that aint happening with all the old gold facilities that had used mercury in the west, and many PCB outfalls in the east) any fish in contact get saturated quickly.

The advisory for striped bass from the Hudson still remains and the fish are as tainted as they ever were because , even though the PCBs are being clened up, there is so much in the bottom sediments that "washes out" and the fish take it up in their food.

I guess the point is, no fish is really safe. If you prefer wild salmon be advised that the EPA does the studying and Monterey Bay does receive funding from the fishing industry. Also, in Canada and Maine, the salmon farming groups also sponsor research to show that their fish is best.
I eat a lot of salmon from farmed sources. Its cheaper and I am not as discerning about some flavor differences. I know the color is enhanced and the Omega 3 levels are also enhanced by feed.
The whole "Wild salmon is finer" crap was started by the Columbia Fisgermen marketing arm as a shot across the bow to stop the inroads being made by the modern farmed fish industry.

Who do you believe? Id try to search out the raw data from the state fish and wildlife and AG depts. rather than web sites from groups that are clearly "market driven".

Its hard to trust anybody on the web anymore. Its such a damn marketing tool that you have to be really suspicious .

Linkat

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 08:51 am
@farmerman,
Agreed - I just love wild salmon - the ocean variety, more so than the river (although I've had that on occassion). I don't eat alot of it because it is harder to get/less often available and more expensive --- however, overall the feedback that you read, is that the health benefits do outweigh the negatives, whether farmed or wild.
0 Replies

babarkhan

Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:10 am
@Advocate,
hi, sory its my first post in here,wanted to post as a seperate topic but didnt find any option. but i am more confused about the Hg limits like different countries and WHO and USEPA has all different limits. suppose if standard limit is 2000ng/g .And also if i analyse hair sample eg concentration is 650.60 ng/g. So should i compare this result with 2000ng/g or do i need to do more calculations as in many places its mentioned for like /kg/day
ossobuco

Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:34 am
@babarkhan,
Look at the bottom of the page, the dark blue band. Click on either Ask a Question or on Start a Discussion.
0 Replies