The must-have firefox plugins for the web geeks

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 05:23 pm
For a web developer, I'd say the must-have firefox plugins (out of many useful ones are):

Search status - Gives you easy access to all kinds of information about the websites you visit. You can see traffic rankings from Alexa and Compete, and you can do many useful searches that explore the site in the big three search engines (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft).

Firebug- Useful for debugging javascript and css. You can edit the markup live and see what happens. It also can be extended by its own plugins, and Yslow is one of my must-haves. Yslow is from yahoo and extends firebug to show you information that can help you make a site load faster for your users.

The Web Developer Toolbar was once the must-have plugin to do the live css editing, but in this regard it was surpassed by firebug, but it still has a lot of useful tools for the web developer, the ones I use the most are cookie editing, disabling cache, js, or cookies quickly and quickly viewing all the css or js from the page for debugging.

Colorzilla is a plugin that lets you select the color of anything in your browser, and I use it often to quickly see what color I used earlier or to match colors. Also comes with a color palette that lets you tweak your color selections.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,110 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 06:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
And for the less geeky:

Adblock Plus - Suppresses the annoying ads.

NoScript - You control the content you want to run on your computer.

ImageShack Extension - Lets you upload an image to ImageShack with a right click on the image.

Tab Mix Plus - Let's you customize and configure your tabbing experience.

Forecastfox - Shows you the weather -- current and forecast -- in the lower right corner of your screen. Customizable to profiles you create.

Fasterfox - Speed up your browsing experience.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 06:12 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Adblock Plus - Suppresses the annoying ads.

Isn't it all ads? If everyone installed it there'd be no free sites. I like making free content sites and don't tend to use annoying ads, but those visitors don't make that distinction. They just block all ads.

Thing is, I don't mind because those people are in the minority and the more traditional web users foot their bill, but if everyone blocked all ads a lot of free content sites would have to charge to pay the bill.

Quote:
Fasterfox - Speed up your browsing experience.

This too is another pain in the web developer's side. One of the ways it decided to be faster is to start crawling all links on your site even if the user doesn't visit them. It means a whole lot of extra load that is only ever used to shave a millisecond of time off the loading of the page.

I disable that prefetching feature on the sites I make, and just focus on making the page load well for all.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:20 am
I guess I'll have to try firefox again. Last time I didn't like it at all.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Isn't it all ads? If everyone installed it there'd be no free sites. I like making free content sites and don't tend to use annoying ads, but those visitors don't make that distinction. They just block all ads.

Thing is, I don't mind because those people are in the minority and the more traditional web users foot their bill, but if everyone blocked all ads a lot of free content sites would have to charge to pay the bill.

AdblockPlus is customizable to be disabled on A2K or any other particular site you select.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:15 pm
@Ticomaya,
you can customize it to the site, and by choosing the list to apply (I know, totally wrong terminology), you can end up seeing 'less annoying' ads on some sites
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 05:15 am
Web Developer does do some cool stuff that I need (posts to gets and resizes).

For researchers - Zotero!
hingehead

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 05:16 am
@hingehead,
I tried scribefire but it sucked.
0 Replies