stubborn dog a leash help?

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 03:37 pm
I have a 10 week old pit/lab mix who is refusing to walk on a leash. We live in a city, and walking her on our block is proving difficult. If we can get her away from her comfort zone (a couple of blocks away), she will follow with only some misbehaving. But it's the short walks throughout the day that she just refuses to budge. She will usually tinkle as soon as she outside, but will then just sit there. She pulls a little on the leash, but won't really cooperate. Any help on this issue, would be great.
thanks
c

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 4,562 • Replies: 7
No top replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 03:41 pm
@ClaraBelle,
i think using treats, holding them in your hand while you walk and at the end of the walk give it to her.

i never had problems with dogs walking, well one but i just started not walking him and taking my other dog and he just learned, prolly from jealousy.

dont drag, pull hard enough to make it so the dog cant sit. think I want to irritate the dog, not hurt it, lol.
maporsche

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 03:48 pm
@ClaraBelle,
Treats....praise....[repeat]
0 Replies

ClaraBelle

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 03:48 pm
@OGIONIK,
she'll go as far as the treat, then just sit there again. It's very frustrating

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 03:53 pm
@ClaraBelle,
u dont give her it until the end of the walky!

just hold it, and right a you get t your front door then you give it to her and praise, yay! just hold it in your hand and dont focus or make it seem like you are cring about the treat at all. ignore the treat, ignore the dog.

a big thing in training dogs ive learned is ignoring them. she wants the treat she sniff sniff sniffs your hand and you dont care at all, look at her like shes dumb.

be conisistent, i dont mind givin the leash a little tug now and then, usually if they resist ill walk very slowly so they cant sit down, but they want to not move but they cant because i dont stop moving, the next day ill walk a little faster. rinse repeat. just dont use your arm to pull/drag them it makes them scared and fearful which leads nowhere...

firefly

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 04:45 pm
@OGIONIK,
A 10 week old puppy is a very young puppy. I think you are expecting too much of her too soon. Besides, at 10 weeks, she hasn't had all of her puppy shots, so you should be cautious about walking her too far from your house because she is susceptible to canine diseases.

She's not being stubborn. She might be frightened, or confused, or just puzzled about why she is being taken for a walk on a leash.

For purposes of house training, it is good that she is tinkling outside. Praise her for doing that. It might be better to take her back into the house after she tinkles, so that she makes some connection about going outside to do her business. In the long run, after she is grown, it will be much easier for you if she learns to "do business" as soon after being taken out as possible--it will save you, and her, from having to make long walks in downpours or other inclement weather.

Just get her gradually used to walking on a leash. And do it slowly, and make it pleasant for her. Don't expect her to walk too far, or to be particularly well behaved on a leash yet--she's really very young. If she sits down, you can sit down next to her, pet her, reassure her, then get up and see if she will walk with you. Don't force her to keep on walking at this stage of the game.

There is a lot of good info on the internet. This Web page has some good tips, and watch the video on that page about leash training.

http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/training-a-puppy-to-walk-on-a-leash.html

Just remember, 10 weeks is a very young puppy. Leash training isn't the most important thing for her to master right now. She has lots to learn, and bonding with you is the main thing right now. The stronger that bond, the easier her training will be.

So, just enjoy her, and let her enjoy being with you.
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 04:47 pm
@firefly,
oh damn 10 weeks, i usually start at 4-5 months witht he walking after they hav had basic training and command oops didnt see that.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:27 pm
@ClaraBelle,
Clarabelle - have you tried a body harness instead of a leash attached to the puppy's collar?

As others here have said, 10 weeks is a very young puppy. Maybe it just objects to a feeling of getting dragged by the neck - a leash attached to a body harness would solve this.
0 Replies