Secrets of the New A2K

Thomas

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:03 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
copy your username into "my tags"

Let me amend this: Copy your username into "my tags", but also copy and paste the tags that are already there in "Topic Tags", the window above "my tags". If you want, look for tags that don't make sense to you and don't copy them. Or look for tags that seem to be missing, and add them.

The idea is that this way, the tags that make sense as topic tags will crowd out the username tags in the "topic tags" window.

I hope I'm making my idea reasonably clear. It's bedtime, and my writing skills are not up to their usual standards.
DrewDad

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:13 am
@Thomas,
Aha! Craven has a diabolical plan to force us to tag every thread in which we post.

I may have to create an MD5 hash that's unique to me.....
Craven de Kere

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:21 am
@Thomas,
What's the point of using the username at all? It's not like you need a special tag to have it in your bookmarks, use any legitimate description and you get all the benefits without creating the nonsensical tag.
Craven de Kere

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:22 am
@DrewDad,
Why are you guys looking for a tag unique to you? Your whole tag page is unique to you and you could use a different tag for each topic and it still works the same. I don't get why the hoops to get around the non-existent obstacle.
Thomas

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:39 am
@Craven de Kere,
Craven de Kere wrote:
What's the point of using the username at all?

The point is navigation. I want a one-stop place for checking whether the threads I participate in have been replied to. My solution gives me that, and only that.

By contrast, the solution you suggest creates two problems for me: First, it only only gives me a ten-stop place where I can see whether the threads I participate in have been replied to. Ten places to check for replies is much more tedious than one. Second, apart from the threads I participated in, your solution gives me hundreds of threads I have not participated in, but have been tagged by other users with the same keywords. This further complicates navigation for me.

If we had a thread-by-thread-view of "my posts", I would totally agree with you. Then these quasi-private tags would be superfluous. But we don't have such a view, so I'm seizing one of the new design's great advantages: that it empowers me to work around what I see as flaws in it. Since you're designer, it's unsurprising that your idea of what's a bug and what's a feature is would differ from mine. But given that I consider this a flaw, isn't this kind of working around it exactly the kind of individual empowerment you had in mind?

If you tell me that username tags create serious environmental pollution for others, I'll remove them. But for now, they're serving me well.
Thomas

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:58 am
@Thomas,
Dammit! Too late to remove. You're right, Craven, and here's what prevented from seeing your point earlier:

Initially, the "My Tags" list is an empty space. So I didn't pay attention to it.

As I add tags -- appropriate and inappropriate ones -- I paid attention to the place on the site where I did the adding: The little windows on the left, "my tags" and "topic tags". I clicked on a keyword to see a list of threads I tagged under this keyword. But I never went back to the "My Tags" page without selecting a keyword. After all, I "knew" this would give me an empty page.

Thanks for your patience.
jespah

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:02 am
@High Seas,
How do you know that's Miller? That could be a completely different poster. Anyway, I think your question will be best be answered by Craven.

Also -- not personally directed vs. you but just in general, I would ask that everyone kindly keep this topic more for answers than for questions so that it is more of a reference to your fellow users. Thanks!
0 Replies

jespah

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:05 am
@Thomas,
I think we're all going to be learning about tags, and I've been misleading people which of course was not my intention. I've been able to correct my statements in here (heh, the benefits of being an Admin, you get to edit later than most folk) but obviously I'm going to miss older posts of mine. Therefore, if you see something where I've misled folks, please either point it out to me or just plonk down this link, which is definitive: http://able2know.org/topic/121067-1

Muchos gracias and a big smoocheroonie.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:10 am
could someone explain how this topic was listed in the "politics" tag when i sorted the politics tag by "newest."
Ticomaya

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:44 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
I hope I'm making my idea reasonably clear. It's bedtime, and my writing skills are not up to their usual standards.

I hadn't noticed.
0 Replies

jespah

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 03:22 pm
@kuvasz,
My guess is that you had clicked on the politics tag and then altered your settings at "all time", then "new posts". I suspect the politics tag part of things is wiped if you adjust more than one other setting but I am not 100% certain.
Cycloptichorn

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 03:49 pm
@jespah,
This is exactly what I am experiencing, with those same settings - but every other topic I see is politics related, other then this one.
0 Replies

jespah

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 03:51 pm
Wacky. The answer is: I dunno.
Cycloptichorn

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 03:52 pm
@jespah,
It is odd, because politics isn't a tag on this thread!
Craven de Kere

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 03:52 pm
@kuvasz,
Because some bright guy decided to tag it that way. Just like what would happen before when they would post to the wrong forum. This is partially solved when more people use it correctly but that particular sort would show it if anyone tagged it right now and will be a good challenge to solve.
Craven de Kere

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 03:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It's not one of the top 5 ones, but it's there. This specific part of letting users help move topics is going to be a very tough challenge to fix, but I just had some potentially good ideas on how to solve it.

Either way, I need more good tags.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:36 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Craven de Kere wrote:
Why are you guys looking for a tag unique to you? Your whole tag page is unique to you and you could use a different tag for each topic and it still works the same. I don't get why the hoops to get around the non-existent obstacle.

Just a learning curve on the tags.

Also, it's not very interesting to just re-tag a thread with one of the existing tags, but I don't want to have to strain my creativity every time I want to tag something, either.

DrewDad

Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:43 pm
@DrewDad,
Not to mention, "Stuff Drewdad finds interesting" is sure to be a big meme one of these days. Wink
0 Replies

DrewDad

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 10:28 am
@Craven de Kere,
Quote:
Because some bright guy decided to tag it that way. Just like what would happen before when they would post to the wrong forum. This is partially solved when more people use it correctly but that particular sort would show it if anyone tagged it right now and will be a good challenge to solve.

So, how do we override the tag? Do enough of us have to add a "not politics" tag?

(Can I gripe again about how difficult it is to edit tags?)
0 Replies

jespah

Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:09 am
Folksonomy:
http://able2know.org/topic/121181-1
0 Replies