What Famous People Have You Met?

Razrez

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:53 am
I live in Michigan and the deli/bakery I worked for in high school was visited from time to time by Ted Nugent and his band. He and his wife were pretty good friends with the owner. I suppose I technically met him, or at least was introduced at least once. The guy was a major douche bag though and was definitely not cool about anything that I can remember. Most definitely overcompensating for something, or at least acted that way. He didn’t make any new fans I’ll tell you that. His wife seemed pretty nice though and was super hot, no doubt.

Jeff Daniels came in once too but we left him alone so I am not sure that counts. He seemed like a really down to earth cool and normal guy though.
dagmaraka

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:23 am
I worked at a journalism foundation and we organized a 1,000+ conference once a year. Quite a few of famous personnas came through there - Norman Mailer, Samantha Power, Ken Burns, and the likes.... Most of them i didn't like (prima donnas)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:25 am
@Razrez,
Speaking of famous people who are disappointing in real life, two I can think of are Roger Miller and Goldie Hawn. When I met her in the 1960's, she seemed pretty much the happy go lucky, funny lady we usually see in the movies. But later, reports from merchants on Canyon Road in Santa Fe described her as angry, arrogant, and unpleasant. They hated to see her coming. Apparently she was type casted in her role as Joanna Stayton in "Overboard".

I never met him but when I participated in "Hands across America"--I think 1986?--all resident famous personalities were invited to participate and almost all did. By putting them in the more isolated areas along I-40, it encouraged foks to drive out there to be with them. Roger Miller, however, refused to participate unless he was paid $20,000. The New Mexico organizers politely declined as the purpose of the event was to raise money to help the hungry and homeless all over the world. That struck a lot of us as major unclassy.
Razrez

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:05 pm
@Foxfyre,
Oh wow, Goldie Hawn... I grew up loving Laugh In even though I don't remember much if it now as I was pretty young. I'm pretty sure she was my first childhood "crush". I liked a lot of her movies too. That is disappointing!

That story about Roger Miller is pretty bad as well, wow. Totally uncool!

It doesn't surprise me much now though. I don't have a very glamorous outlook on fame. It's quite the opposite.

mismi

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:08 pm
@Razrez,
I've met Rick and Bubba before Wink I see Rick at the baseball park a lot - met Bubba at the grocery store.
http://www.rickandbubba.com/

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:10 pm
@Razrez,
Well, what I'm reporting here is mostly hearsay or what I read in the papers, so you can probably take at least some of it with a grain of salt. But probably all of us know people who have achieved great success and remain just the same people they always were. And others change, generally not for the better. And probably at lot of it is in individual perception too.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:20 pm
Yes
Ac/Dc
Van Halen
Kiss
Poison
James Brown
Rick Derringer
Peaches and Herb
Captain Beyond
Iron Butterfly
Edgar Winter
Dixie Dregs
Mothers Finest
Lou Diamond Phillips
Dennis Haskins
Charles Barkley
David Bowie
Joan Jett
Stevie Nicks
Ken Kesey
I'm sure there's more..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:23 pm
@Razrez,
It takes a bit to "get" Ted. He's not a normal person in any way, shape, or form. If you think he's crazy face to face, try letting him drive.
Razrez

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:33 pm
@cjhsa,
To be fair I am basing my opinion on very few encounters when I was younger and much more idealistic. From what I've heard the Nuge is a very good family man and I totally respect that 100%.

Foxfyre, that is totally true too. Everyone has bad days and you're much more likely to remember someone famous that was off than some random person who gave you some hassle. Misunderstandings happen all the time.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:27 pm
Met Norm Mineta, Sab Shimono (a childhood friend), Mako, Mike Honda, but have seen Bing Crosby, Jack Lemmon, Forest Tucker, Daniel Inouye, Peter Lawford, and Clint Eastwood.
Sglass

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
CI,

Is that our Daniel Inouye from Hawaii. And what about the football dude we saw at the Hilton swimming pool?????
yitwail

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:22 pm
@Sglass,
Steve (descendant of Brigham) Young that was.

but the coolest celeb i've met is a2k's own Dys. Cool
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:39 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass, You'e right; it was Daniel Inouye of Hawaii, and Steve Young in February on the Big Island. When I was a registered democrat about five lifetimes ago, my wife and I went to a democratic convention in San Francisco where Daniel Inouye made a speech.
Miller

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 01:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
I always liked Dan.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:32 am
Pat Boone, at a Republican rally.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:38 am
Ann Coulter, at a gun freedom rally

Rush Limbaugh, at his TV show

David
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2021 08:31 am
bump...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2021 09:12 am
John Otway.

It was really free.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 04:25 am
I met Kurt Vonnegut twice; once at the launch of Apollo 17 and then a few years later I delivered a piece of furniture to his apartment in NYC.
0 Replies