What Program Should I Use?

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 06:46 pm
I need to assist my (kinda) boss with a secret project. It needs to be:

1. Nno more than ten pages,

2. I need to be able to create text boxes to fit around pictures,

3. Do a background for part of it,

4. Some of the pictures will have to be scanned / resized and inserted, (I'm assuming as jpegs)

5. Some things need to be angled / turned to add interest and design,

6. I may need to add shapes, like maybe write in a starburst

7. I need to be able to e-mail the whole thing... Preferably as a PDF when finished for presentation but in the meantime be able to make changes until it is final.

The programs I have to work with are:

1. Microsoft Word
2. Microsoft Publisher
3. Printshop
4. Word

I guess what I need it to be is a 9-10 page continuous newsletter, not like a four page style newsletter. I've not used Publisher much. I do have templates for newsletters but am wondering if that limits me in pages.

Any suggestions? I have to have it done by Tuesday. Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 767 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 06:49 pm
I like publisher, but lotsa folks can't open it on their end...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 07:22 pm
I think Word '07 can be coaxed into doing all of that. If you go with Word, be sure to search on the keyword Watermark. You can get some kind of neat effects there, if that's what you're after.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 02:44 pm
I'd use MS Word, because while I'm unfamiliar with Publisher, I have done professional typesetting with Word...

You can do all of the things you mention with it, plus things like changing character spacing and line spacing to fit everything you want on a page, automatically balancing columns (and forcing them not to balance), insert Excel charts and graphs, and create amazing headlines and special effects (play with WordArt for a while!)...

And just BTW, what's the difference between Microsoft Word and Word? I am currently using Word 2007, but have done everything above in earlier versions of Word.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 02:55 pm
If you can design the document in any of those programs, you can use Cute PDF Writer to save it as a PDF.

It just looks like a printer. Print to the Cute PDF Writer, and it will ask you where to save your file.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 03:50 pm
Wy wrote:

And just BTW, what's the difference between Microsoft Word and Word? I am currently using Word 2007, but have done everything above in earlier versions of Word.

Word is kinda a cheap imitation of Microsoft Word even though it is produced by Microsoft. It is actually useless and redundant if you have Microsoft Word.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 03:52 pm
Do you mean Word for Works?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:47 pm
Thanks everyone. I've been doing it in Microsoft Word. I don't like getting two boxes when I insert a text box, and am having trouble putting pictures where I want them... they tend to want to line up with other things or jump on top of them or... Grrr.

I also don't get a little toggle to turn the picture.

May not end up as fancy designer as I'd like, but it will ge tthe job done.

Also, anyone know how to make my text box flow to the next page without making another text box? I have a limit of ten pages, so I have to keep the single page format, but my text box does not want to stretch down to continue.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 05:03 am
Quote:
am having trouble putting pictures where I want them... they tend to want to line up with other things or jump on top of them or... Grrr.

The Text wrapping function for pictures should be set to "Tight" squinney

Quote:
I also don't get a little toggle to turn the picture.

Microsoft office Word 2007 has this facility
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 06:31 am
Thanks, Dad. I have 2007 at home, but not at work. Haven't even begun to try to navigate 07.

I'll try the word wrap set to tight. I wish it would just let me drag the pictures around to where I want them and then let the words adjust.

I'm finishing it up today. Too many other things to spend much more time on it.
squinney

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 06:33 am
@squinney,
Wait a mintute!!!

I e-mailed the document to my home computer. Work computer has older version of Word. When I opened it here at home I had a choice of making it compatible with 07 which is the version I have.

Click... Voila! Word 07 is so much better and not nearly as complicated as I thought. Yeah! I can twist pics and even frame them!

Thanks everyone.
0 Replies