Paul Newman

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:39 am
PAUL Newman has finished chemotherapy and has told his family he wants to die at home.

The Oscar-winning actor was pictured being pushed from a New York cancer hospital in a wheelchair.

Yesterday, it was reported in America that Newman, 83, had only weeks to live and had returned home to his wife, Joanne Woodward.

"Paul didn't want to die in the hospital," a source said. "Joanne and his daughters are beside themselves with grief."

The source, described as a close family friend, said that the star had spent the past few weeks getting his affairs in order.

It was claimed that some of Newman's actions had caused tension among of his children.

"He gave a prized car - a Ferrari with his racing number, 82, on it - to a long-time pal," the friend said.

"The sudden move angered his children. It's especially hard for them to come to grips with what's going on.

"The word they've been given is that he has only a few weeks to live."

Newman married Woodward in 1958 and the couple have three daughters.

It was reported last month that he had been readying their oldest child, Nell, to take over his Newman's Own salad dressings company, the profits of which are given to a charitable foundation.

He also has two daughters from his first marriage to Jackie Witte.

Newman has so far declined to comment on his condition, apart from saying he is "doing nicely".

Rumours about his health surfaced in January. Three months ago, he withdrew from directing a production of Of Mice and Men in his home town of Westport, Connecticut.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,492 • Replies: 12
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:45 am
BBB
I admire Newman for his decision.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 11:15 am
I was surprised he and Joanne Woodward are still close.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 11:18 am
Another public guy I felt like I really liked. The money he raises for healthcare...his Marinara sauce...Hud...Cool Hand Luke. A one-of-a-kind guy.

Good decision, I think. My dad did the same thing. He lasted a lot longer than he wanted to.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 11:20 am
Lash wrote:
Another public guy I felt like I really liked. The money he raises for healthcare...his Marinara sauce...Hud...Cool Hand Luke. A one-of-a-kind guy.

Good decision, I think. My dad did the same thing. He lasted a lot longer than he wanted to.

Ditto for me! I've always admired Paul Newman - not only for his acting, but his involvement with charities.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 11:25 am
He had a good run in his career and as a human being. I'm sure they have the money to set up a hospice situation at home, much better than anything a hospital could offer. I wish him and his family peace.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 11:34 am
Thanks, edgar, for directing me here. Paul Newman is a great actor and I would NOT want to die in a hospital either. Not one member of my family has done so.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 11:37 am
I have come to respect him more as the years went by. I wish he had a few more movies in him. But, he has done plenty already.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 11:41 am
i love driving by his house.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 02:39 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I was surprised he and Joanne Woodward are still close.

Why are you surprised about that, edgar?

As far as I know, there have never been rumours that either of them were involved with anyone else, they have never separated, and they seem to have had a long and happy marriage, living quietly out of the Hollywood spotlight in Westport, Connecticut. When asked about infidelity, he has quipped, "Why go out for hamburger when you have steak at home?"

Paul and Joanne have three daughters, in addition to the two daughters Paul has by his first marriage. Paul also had a son, by his first marriage, who died of an accidental drug overdose in 1978. Newman started the Scott Newman Center for drug abuse prevention in memory of his son.

He has a well earned reputation for philanthropy. In 1994 he received the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award for his charitable work. His food company, Newman's Own, donates all profits and royalties to charity, and, as of May 2007, these donations exceeded $220 million. In June, 2007, he donated $10 million to Kenyon College, his alma mater, for establishment of a scholarship fund.

There is no question that he is one of the all-time greatest film actors. He consistently turned in wonderful and memorable performances in movie after movie (I think at least 60 of them), and he proved to be quite a good director too.

Newman announced that he would entirely retire from acting on May 25, 2007. He stated that he doesn't feel he can continue acting on the level that he would want to. "You start to lose your memory, you start to lose your confidence, you start to lose your invention. So I think that's pretty much a closed book for me."

I was very saddened when I first read of his illness several months ago. He has always been one of my favorite actors, and human beings.

An admirable man, in all respects. He has good reason to feel proud of the legacy he will leave behind him in terms of the work he has done, both on and off screen, and the positive impact he has had on so many through his charity.

Whenever the end may come for him, I hope it will be peaceful and that he will feel he leaves behind a life well-lived.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 03:52 pm
I saw in the news a long time ago he and Joanne were separated. I guess I missed the reconciliation.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 04:43 pm
I've followed Newman's life and career fairly closely, edgar, and I really do not think he and Joanne ever separated due to a rift in their marriage, and they celebrated their 50th anniversary this year.

They have lived in Connecticut since the start of the 1960's and, over the years, Paul travelled away from home to work and to engage in other activities, like car racing, while Joanne tended to remain at home. But these separations were not due to marital problems. The Newmans are also very private people. If they ever did have problems in their marriage, I doubt the media would have gotten wind of them. But, from everything I know, this has been a very stable marriage.

The Newmans are apparently very different people, and each has interests which they pursue separately. They give each other the space to do these things, which may be one reason this marriage has lasted.

Quote:
Paul Newman on marriage: "I've repeatedly said that for people who have as little in common as Joanne and myself, we have an uncommonly good marriage. We are actors. We make pictures and that's about all we have in common. Maybe that's enough. Wives shouldn't feel obligated to accompany their husbands to a ball game, husbands do look a bit silly attending morning coffee breaks with the neighborhood wives when most men are out at work. Husbands and wives should have separate interests, cultivate different sets of friends and not impose on the other ... You can't spend a lifetime breathing down each other's necks ... We are very, very different people and yet somehow we fed off those varied differences and instead of separating us, it has made the whole bond a lot stronger."
Source: IMDB.com

He hasn't recently "returned home" because he had been living away from home. He has ostensibly been receiving chemotherapy at a hospital in NYC, but he continues to reside in Connecticut with his wife.

As I said, the Newmans are very private people, and the stories about his illness, and how severe it is, have not been confirmed by Paul Newman, or anyone close to him. For months, the National Enquirer has printed photos of a very thin Newman outside a NYC hospital, and recently had a picture of him at an event with Martha Stewart where he looked thin and frail. To the Enquirer's credit, it does not generally print such photos, or suggest that people are dying, unless they are pretty sure about what they are saying. But I don't think that any of the facts in this situation have really been confirmed by Newman or his family.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 04:21 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT-Bgz1-HQE
0 Replies