Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:07 pm
would you mind to extend my curiosity to know about INDIA?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:08 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
i am not a barbaric flag waving patrot.
But i am human
R u?

You are a sophist.
The "logic" of your sentence is similar to this:

"I am not a Jew
But I am human
R U?"

Even barbaric flag waving patriots are human.
If you imply that they are not, you are showing a great deal of intolerance. And that, in the end, "barbaric flag waving patriots" are expendable.
0 Replies

Germini

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 06:00 am
How many people understand the content of the opening ceremony?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 06:13 am
I do. It's about making an evil regime look respectable.

Quote:
When nine-year-old Lin Miaoke launched into Ode to the Motherland at the Olympic opening ceremony, she became an instant star.

"Tiny singer wins heart of nation," China Daily sighed; "Little girl sings, impresses the world," gushed another headline, perhaps in reference to Lin's appearance on the front of the New York Times. Countless articles lauded the girl in the red dress who "lent her voice" to the occasion.

But now it emerges that Lin was lent someone else's voice, following high-level discussions - which included a member of the Politburo - on the relative photogenicity of small children.

The recording to which Lin mouthed along on Friday was by the even younger Yang Peiyi. It seems that Yang's uneven teeth, while unremarkable in a seven-year-old, were considered potentially damaging to China's international image.

A 7 year old girl with a voice like that is not beautiful eh? And so much so that a giant lie was constructed by state officials.

What a load of shite. Switch it off.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 06:29 am
Quote:
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 07:40 am
spendius wrote:
I do. It's about making an evil regime look respectable.

A 7 year old girl with a voice like that is not beautiful eh? And so much so that a giant lie was constructed by state officials.

What a load of shite. Switch it off.

you are absolutely right. only problem is that the same thing happens in Western World every day, only that 'we' are doing that a little bit more sophisticated and clever.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 11:57 am
Maybe we won't next time now that we have seen where it leads when an unopposed elite can blow £40 billion on patting themselves on the back.

I think the IOC is the most corrupt unarmed organisation in the world.

Sport is the last thing on their minds.

Muhammad Ali threw his gold medal in the river when he saw the alloy underneath the varnish.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 12:24 pm
spendius wrote:
Maybe we won't next time now that we have seen where it leads when an unopposed elite can blow £40 billion on patting themselves on the back.

I think the IOC is the most corrupt unarmed organisation in the world.

Sport is the last thing on their minds.

Muhammad Ali threw his gold medal in the river when he saw the alloy underneath the varnish.

Actually, Ali did NOT throw his gold medal in the Ohio river.
That is an urban legend.
He simply lost it over the years, and it was replaced at the 96 games in Atlanta, during halftime of the USA-Yugoslavia mens basketball game.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 02:15 pm
Well-I read his autobiog and in that he said he did. In disgust too. As a symbolic gesture at all the phoniness.

He was so proud of it that he wore it round his neck and that's how it got worn. Mostly they are kept in velvet in display cabinets.

I can't remember whether he was having woman trouble at the time. He was on a long run and had stopped on the bridge for a breather. That's when he noticed the varnish had rubbed off.

That's what he said and he signed his name to it. And that's enough for us Brits where he's concerned.

By '96 he had calmed down a bit. PR you know.

Where did you get your version from MM?
devriesj

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:31 pm
@spendius,
Sorry to interrupt the diatribe, guys, but I just watched Michael "The Phlying Phish" Phelps win his 8th gold medal in the Medley Relay. The swimming in this Olympics has been spectacular, but you gotta hand it to a guy who (along with his team) can accomplish something like that!
I'm not so naive to think that politics aren't involved in the Olympics, but for me it's about the athletes, all of them.
2PacksAday

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:52 am
@devriesj,
Exactly! Ignore the politics, admire the athleticism....even that Jamaican kid who was showboating in the 100 meter earlier.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:09 am
@2PacksAday,
Oh, hey, 2Packs is here. Yaaay.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 09:32 pm
@2PacksAday,
Jamaican Kid? You mean Usain Bolt? I thought his 100m win was phenomenal. I've never seen anyone blow away the field like that in the 100m. I just wish he had pushed to see how fast he could go. I bet he could have done a 9.59 if he tried.
maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 09:46 pm
@rosborne979,
Yeah it was quick.....but such cockiness is frustrating.

I am amazed at all the Jamaican runners; they did a piece about how small the island is and how the kid down the street is setting WR times and such. Small island for all these great runners.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 12:28 am
@ossobuco,
Smile
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 12:40 am
@rosborne979,
Yeah, Bolt's speed was awesome, and I can't wait to see him run the 200m.....but his finish just set wrong with me.....much like the touchdown dances in the NFL
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 06:25 pm
@McTag,
I missed the opening ceremony, but these photos are great!

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/08/2008_olympics_opening_ceremony.html
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 07:33 am
Did anyone else notice that the Chinese gymnasts (and their divers too but no one has mentioned them yet) appeared to be just little girls and clearly under the age limit?
spendius

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 06:09 pm
@eoe,
Did you notice that high kick the sunburned tubby gave to the hammer as it winged away.

That was the moment of the games for me. It was lovely.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 07:38 pm
@eoe,
No under age limit in diving.

Britain, for instance, has a quite capable 14 year old.

In fact, the tiny 16 year old Chinese divers make me think that either the Chinese are too clever and also changed their ages or that they somehow mess with their bodies through training (and something else...), 'cause an underweight diver makes cleaner entrances (all the rest of the dive being equal, splashes less water).