Dream Team V Boomers Olympic basketball

dadpad

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:35 am
The Boomers took on the might of the United States in a final warm-up match last night without their star centre, who remains troubled by an injury to his right ankle sustained in training last week.

The same injury limited Bogut to just 20 minutes of court time in the Boomers' narrow loss to Argentina last week.

Without Bogut, the Boomers took the fight to their storied opponents but were eventually outmuscled, outplayed and outscored 87-76.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/basketball/us-prevails-as-bogut-sits-it-out/2008/08/06/1217702051060.html

In Womans basketball
The United States scraped past Australia 71-67 to win the FIBA Diamond Ball basketball tournament for Women in Haining, China tonight in an intense battle between two teams desperate for gold at the Beijing Olympics.

For Australia, Penny Taylor was left with a black eye after some heavy treatment from Australia's fiercest rivals, but she still led all scorers with 19 points, while Lauren Jackson added 16 points and eight boards.

The extremely physical tussle included a brutal Tina Thompson screen on Taylor that forced her from the court in tears early in the third term, while Suzy Batkovic responded with a hard foul on Diana Taurasi as neither side took a backward step.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/basketball/opals-fall-to-usa-in-final/2008/08/05/1217702049995.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,161 • Replies: 13
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 04:58 am
I knew the batgirl when she was at the AIS. Delighted she's in the side, terrific lady. Good to see Snelly and Hollie there too. I was there the day the AIS won the WNBL (first and only time the development side won the national competition), Lauren Jackson's graduation year. I wonder what Kris Veal is doing - great player and nice lady, but plagued with injury.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 05:12 am
I'm looking forward to the rematch.

Could the claret flow d'ya think?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 06:04 pm
Absolutely - no doubt Lauren will rip out hair extensions again. Glad the girls lost - bodes well for a rematch in a knock out game. Don't want to show your hand in a match that doesn't matter.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:24 pm
Impressive - 2 lads talking about women's sport!

Although I agree those basketballers are pretty cool.

Netballers, too!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:03 pm
You'll have to excuse us, we're sissies.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:07 pm
margo wrote:

Netballers, too!

The Matilda's were starting to look like actual football players the last time I watched. I remember seeing the first event of the 2000 Olympics: in Canberra, Germany vs Australia in the women's soccer (2 days before opening ceremony and about an hour before the Olyroos played in Sydney). The teams lined up at the start and the Matildas looked like a bunch of girls and the Germans looked like a football team, in terms of body shape and stature.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:14 am
Dream Team beats Boomers 116-85 at Beijing Olympics

Bugger!

C'mon Opals
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:08 am
Opals Vs USA gold medal play off
7 plays 4

early days yet
sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:36 am
@dadpad,
I'm watching... a lot of fun!

I love Candace Parker. And Kara Lawson.
sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:22 am
@sozobe,
And Lisa Leslie. And...

Lauren Jackson's psycho eyeliner is cool though. I liked how it was running and she was glowering from the bench -- she looked tough!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 01:01 pm
missed it - but see the Opals lost.

Bugger!
hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 03:18 am
@margo,
Whipped in fact. Shooting less than 20% from the floor made it tough. Apparently Snelly had a good game though. I think we're good enough to beat them everywhere except in our heads....
dadpad

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 03:41 am
@hingehead,
somedays you have games like that. the ballls we threw that rolled around the hoop fell out. When they threw the same ball it went in.

I've seen the same thing happen in football. the ball just wont bounce the right way.

Jackson was well held. No Jackson, No Opals.

0 Replies