Remembering Noddy24, Always

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:47 pm
Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry to hear this.

I never had the opportunity to meet her in person, but anyone could tell from her posts how intelligent and knowledgeable she was. She also had a great sense of humor too!

Noddy, you will be missed! Sad
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:50 pm
I choose not to think of it as a loss. I think we're rediscovering ourselves.

Reading back through so many of Noddy's posts and topics made me yearn for the A2K of bygone days until all these various threads about Noddy reminded me that it is still here.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:50 pm
I've been computer-less since Sunday morning.
I have thought of Noddy.

Coming back from my parent's tonight, I tried to tell my beloved about Noddy. Tried to explain her wit. Her twist of phrase. The way that she could say in one sentence what I can't get out in a paragraph.
I couldn't do it. I don't have any gift for words, let alone hers...

But I can read Noddy and I can admire from afar.
And I'm a better person for it.

I read more of A2K than I ever post.
Noddy was someone I always read.

She may not have known me, but I loved her and respected her.
I can only dream of being as wise as she.

Hugs to Iffy.
And all my best to Noddy's family.

Thank you Noddy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:55 pm
I too felt as if Noddy was another mother to me. I've had a couple extras on A2K. Terry Pratchett will be ever-more meaningful to me for ever more. It's gonna take a long time for this to really sink in. So glad I met her and wishing I had made a bigger effort to get down to NYC while she was there. When she was here in Boston, she organized a book swap. We all brought paperbacks to swap around. It was around Christmastime and one of the best presents I had that year.

Also, I'm worrying about Mr. Noddy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:58 pm
Jespah, Thank you for the eulogy that tells us a bit more about Noddy. I also want to thank Butrflynet for collecting some of Noddy's gems that shows her wit and wisdom. It seems we are losing some of the best of a2k, and that's a very sad realization.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:08 pm
I worry about Mr. Noddy - none of my business, as usual, but can only hope for the transition, understanding difficulties.

And Iffy. Oh, oh, oh, Iffy. (wail)
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:11 pm
Noddy must've been in her 80's -- but she was still sharp as a tack and always interested in everything. She had wonderful insights and wise advice.

Safe home, Noddy. Hold your dominion!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:12 pm
Great tributes, Jes, butrflynet, and bethie

Noddy will be greatly missed!
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:16 pm
I agree! The quotes are priceless, btrfly. It's a wonderful glimpse into the Lady Noddy. I feel like I am getting to know her. Wise lady that one.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:18 pm
I believe it would be a great tribute to provide Mr Noddy with a copy of this thread.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:19 pm
I misjudged Jill's age. I thought she was just a few years older than myself.
I'd of course considered the 24 as age related, but dismissed it.. as she was just like me, pre hippy, but not not listening.

She was exactly the same age as Harvey. That's a compliment to both of them, and I'll leave it at that.

I'm still not sure I believe CJane, whom I routinely agree with.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:53 pm
I was lucky to have met Noddy in NYC last year. (Bethie, remember in the park when she was nearly run over by the bikes? She didn't even blink.) She was even more fun in person than her virtual persona was here.

I love and admire her, and I'll miss her so much, probably in ways I can't imagine yet. Thanks to all of you for sharing your memories.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 11:26 pm
Only half way through the posts, I am crying and laughing at Noddy's love of words, her wit and her compassion.

Butrflynet, you are an angel for providing so many of her posts.

It's bedtime now and I know I will dream of Noddy and the dreams will be happy and admiring and loving.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 11:33 pm
Thanks you, jes.

I'm glad, that after having known Noddy for more than eight years online , I finally could share some time with her during those days in NY last year.

She gave me, us, a lot.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:03 am
I never realised what the 24 meant either. I'm gonna miss that jester, gesture, of reasonableness.

http://www.able2know.org/forums/images/avatars/15282893874458fdd2d94a2.jpg

Hold your dominion Noddy.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:53 am
I consider it special to have been under Noddies watchfull gaze.

Memories live on here at A2K.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 01:11 am
((((Jes))))

I hadn't met Noddy in person. That saddens me ... a few weeks ago she invited me to visit on my trip here now. I couldn't manage it this year... it was to be next year.

We talked often.

Noddy sat on my thread with me - so many times when I struggled with my son - when I didn't know if tomorrows would come, when my feet were so sore and I was tired and torn - she encouraged, comforted, laughed and shared her wisdom with me. The most important thing she did - she gave me a way to believe in me - to trust in my judgements and to keep taking steps every day.

Noddy used to come and sit in my virtual room - where my friends and A2K family gather when times are tough - and when "my mind was a steel trap", she made time, she gave me time... I am so grateful for everything she has been to me ~ my life continued to where I find myself today - in a large part due to the wisdom of this fine, grand lady and her generosity in just giving me her time.

I cannot explain it...what Noddy means to me - and the feelings I have for her. Even when she were so tired - she did all she could to look after Mr.N....and her A2K family. She was generous with her wit, humour and forthrightness - she knew when to gift her wisdom, how to pass it on, and treated us all as unique individuals. As importantly, she listened to us when she was struggling, and she heard us - she felt valued here on A2K - she made every person she came into contact with, a worthy person. She realised how the world cared for her too. How loved she is by so many people.

For the loss I/we all feel now... the gain of having Noddy in my/our lives will shift the balance to feelings of fortune...I am so fortunate to have shared my life with Noddy, in the space of 8 months, and alongside her personal experiences - all the words and pearls she has bestowed upon me won't ever leave me - she showed me I could Hold My Dominion - (I didn't know I had one until she told me), she gave me the strength to step into new shoes. I am fortunate that whenever I go into my room when I need to - that she will always be there - her words and her kindness will remain there - and I can still listen to her... I gave her a piece of my heart and she gave me a piece of hers - I love her still... so honoured and proud to have known her...so honoured.

When I visit Boscastle next time... and the mist is down over the sea - she'll be there too.

She's resting now. That's a blessing. She needed to rest, she was weary.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 01:18 am
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 04:20 am
Dutchy wrote:
Thank you jespah that was moving eulogy, a wonderful tribute to an obviously most remarkable lady.

Dutchy, I want you to know that Noddy was the one who came up with the Cosmic Eagle title. She was very insistent that we remember timber this way.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 06:09 am
Pleased to know that jespah, perhaps Noddy could be honoured in a similar fashion when an opportunity arises, it would be more than well deserved.
0 Replies