HOW DO YOU HANDLE LIES ABOUT YOU THAT HURT?

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:14 am
eoe wrote:
Time heals all wounds. This sounds like a fresh cut. Since the 'firing' will not affect you financially, and you're not forced to fight for your position and/or livelihood, I say let it go and give yourself time to get over it. You will.

Thanks eoe. Not so much a fresh cut any more, but it has taken some of the joy out of my work. That is the part I most resent, not the lie itself.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:26 am
Don't let them squeeze the joy out of it.
That's the only part that's up to you.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:36 am
eoe wrote:
Don't let them squeeze the joy out of it.
That's the only part that's up to you.

You're right, and I'll get there. But I'm not there yet.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:42 am
Foxfyre wrote:
eoe wrote:
Time heals all wounds. This sounds like a fresh cut. Since the 'firing' will not affect you financially, and you're not forced to fight for your position and/or livelihood, I say let it go and give yourself time to get over it. You will.

Thanks eoe. Not so much a fresh cut any more, but it has taken some of the joy out of my work. That is the part I most resent, not the lie itself.

Moreover, time wounds all heels. Liars may get away with it for a while, but the lies eventually catch up with 'em.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 12:53 pm
I take it for granted that I am, and will always be, imperfect. That's no problem, but perhaps it is a problem that I have no idea of what "perfection" looks like.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 01:08 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Liars may get away with it for a while, but the lies eventually catch up with 'em.

You've got THAT right!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 04:48 pm
One thing -- and I don't think you want to take this road but, trade disparagement is actionable. Not sure if this fits all the criteria but if someone is saying something and you are losing measurable business then you have suffered a loss.

'Course you might not want to specifically point that out to the people who decided they no longer wanted your business but you could say something like, "I can see an impression was made and it was not an accurate one. I would like the opportunity to address that impression so that it does not happen again." They're being deliberately coy and you could keep pushing on them to get the info if you really wanted to.

I mean -- if you really wanted to get nasty, this leads to --

-- did you fire me because you didn't like me?
-- did you fire me because I'm a woman?
-- did you fire me because someone unethically undercut my prices?

Hard ball is not a nice thing, I know, but at the same time, they aren't telling you what really happened or giving you a chance to address it. And that's just plain wrong.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:15 pm
Thanks Jes and everybody. I was so angry when this first happened that I seriously thought about demanding to know who accused me so that I could confront my accuser.

But the fact is, I don't need the work as my cleint immediately replaced it for me. But to get my pint of blood in redemption, I would likely cost my client the account as well as seriously erode the income of numerous other auditors scattered over three states that cannot easily afford to lose that business. This is a large account.

But I'm letting some idiot or some scumbag get away with it, you say? (rhetorically of course) Yes, I suppose I am. But without knowng all the facts behind it--whether it was retaliation or a case of mistaken identity or what--I guess I think letting whoever get away with it is less risk than causing a lot of grief for others who had nothing whatsoever to do with it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 04:34 pm
eoe wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Liars may get away with it for a while, but the lies eventually catch up with 'em.

You've got THAT right!
actually you got that wrong, karma is a nice thought but silly, many people (most people) get away with far worse things than this trivia and they get away with it for life. I suppose we would all like to think that evil activities result in evil returns but life just doesn't work that way.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 04:52 pm
dys wrote :

Quote:
actually you got that wrong, karma is a nice thought but silly, many people (most people) get away with far worse things than this trivia and they get away with it for life. I suppose we would all like to think that evil activities result in evil returns but life just doesn't work that way.

sometimes evil activities can even result in pretty nifty returns .
and if there is an afterlife , the "evil doers" may even come back as cockroaches to bite our behinds .
there is no justice , is there ?
hbg
0 Replies