• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,740 • Replies: 7
No top replies

neologist

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:28 am
You mean in this context?
"God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." (John 4:24)
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 11:10 am
neologist wrote:
You mean in this context?
"God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." (John 4:24)

The Greek word "pneuma" translated spirit here in John 4:24 is translated wind, fire, breath etc. in other scripture locations. So which is it?

Smile
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 11:20 am
Are you really interested in understanding or just knowing what spirit is in the context of literal Christianity? If the latter, then I'm neither knowledgeable nor interested; otherwise I am.
RexRed

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 12:40 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
Are you really interested in understanding or just knowing what spirit is in the context of literal Christianity? If the latter, then I'm neither knowledgeable nor interested; otherwise I am.

All opinions are welcome and may the best spirit win. Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 04:15 pm
What is true worship?

John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Comment: What does it mean to worship God in spirit and in truth?

Why not spirit alone.. Why not truth alone? Why two things?

I believe this is the problem that people pick one OR the other and end up going the wrong way... THUS either option devoid of the other leads in the wrong direction where only the combination of both options lead in the correct direction.

Only both options melded into one idea reveals the way God prefers to be "worshiped".

0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 04:21 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:

I can only deduct from this that you are only interested in the spirit and not necessarily the truth. It is interesting to note that a two thousand year old document pegs you perfectly.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 04:39 pm
I might add that I am going in new territory with this post and am unsure as of yet where it will lead but I am sure it will lead to a GREAT revelation at some point. Usually I need only to put some intense thought into things and "the spirit" will reveal its pearls of wisdom in good season and time.

You can decide if I am making it up as we go along or if the spirit is really working within to open up the subject for those seeking an answer.

I have opened this query to others because often the thoughtful input of others provokes my own thought and stirs my emotions becoming a catalyst so I persevere and find the cup of God’s infinitely diversified reason.

I have never claimed to know all things concerning spiritual matters, manifestations, gifts and the operations of the spirit. It is known that a lifetime of faith can never unravel all that God has to reveal and this is what makes God such an attraction for the earnest.

Christianity is not just a moment of rebirth but it is a life long walk with God. First we crawl, then we stand then we run the race for the prize of the high calling in Christ Jesus.

The involvement of the holy spirit with God and Jesus Christ seems to me at this stage of my learning experiences to have been shrouded from my own understanding. I plan to understand this connection in my next preponderance of ideas.

I will be thinking out loud here in this thread and some may find this useful in their own walk with God.
0 Replies