Cheech and Chong First Tour in 25 Years

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 04:07 pm
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Two of the most famous pot smokers during of the 1970s, Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong, unveiled plans on Wednesday for their first comedy tour in more than 25 years since their acrimonious split.

"Cheech & Chong: Light Up America ..." will hit 22 cities in the United States starting with Philadelphia on September 12 and ending in Denver, Colorado, on December 20. In between they will play Los Angeles, Miami, Washington, D.C. and other places.

"This is a moment that I've been looking forward to for many, many years because we have such a legacy and history together that we couldn't escape it, even if we tried," Chong told reporters at a news conference to announce the tour.

Cheech and Chong were one of the most successful comedy teams of the 1970s with hit movies and chart-topping records based on their brand of marijuana-influenced humor.

They were potheads who appealed to a youth generation steeped in personal freedom spawned by 1960s-era hippies. At the time, American kids were thirsting for humor that mirrored their lives, experiences and pop culture.

Marin said their humor about doing stupid things while being stoned on marijuana should still appeal to today's youth, as well as Cheech & Chong's older fans.

"We've had the younger audience all along. Every time they get to that certain age, they go through that Cheech & Chong period of watching the movies, listening to the records. So, it's almost like a right of passage," Marin said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 826 • Replies: 6
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:26 pm
Heehee...... I didn't even smoke pot and I loved those movies.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:30 pm
Man, that'll be an expensive ticket...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:40 pm
Uh...uh....uh...

...what was I gonna say?

Jeez. I can't remember.

My mind ain't working so good for some reason.

Uh...now what was the topic?

Uh...I think I'll rest up a bit and maybe it'll come to me. I know there was something I wanted to say about whatever is being discussed here. I think it was important, but...

Yeah, Man!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:41 pm
Dave's not here.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:43 pm
Frank! Hiya! Howareya?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:48 pm