Verizon DSL with Yahoo

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 03:10 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have Verizon DSL with Yahoo. I've had it for two years. I now want to get rid of Yahoo and have just a Verizon account. I've contacted Verizon by email and just received the following response. I already have Windows Live Messenger which I rarely use. If any one has Verizon Broadband with Windows Live what can I expect? I don't want a connection to MSN either. Verizon just sent me this email, what is Verizon Broadband with Windows Live?

Thank you for contacting the Verizon eCenter. My name is Yousef.

This message is in response to your email dated July 16, 2008. You would like to have straight Verizon account and get rid of the Yahoo.

I apologize for the delay in my response, and I regret any inconvenience to you.

I can certainly understand the importance of managing your account.

In order to remove the Yahoo portal you will need to switch to Windows live (free service).

Verizon Broadband with Windows Live

http://www.verizon.net/getLiveNow

If you need assistance with removing your Yahoo and going straight with Verizon, please contact our Verizon Online Technical Support, please dial (800)567-6789. Verify the 10-digit telephone number on which you have Internet service, then say " Technical Support ".

The Verizon Online Technical Support team to which we have referred you will be able to assist you. If you have any additional questions, please let us know. We look forward to serving you.

Thank you for using Verizon. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,
Yousef
Verizon eCenter

My Account Is Now My Verizon!

Faster access to account info. Simplified navigation. Great new features. If you're not already a verizon.com member, register today and check out how easy we've made it to manage your account online!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,011 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 08:49 pm
Yahoo is just providing an internet portal. You don't need to use it at all.

Here's how it works. In the past, ISPs usually provided both the connection as well as email services and content through a portal. A classic example would be AOL.

A few years ago, Yahoo made deals with ISPs to provide the email services and content for them while they just provide the connection.

All you need is the connection, you are free to use whatever email service and content you want.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 04:23 am
Robert Gentel wrote:
Yahoo is just providing an internet portal. You don't need to use it at all.

Here's how it works. In the past, ISPs usually provided both the connection as well as email services and content through a portal. A classic example would be AOL.

A few years ago, Yahoo made deals with ISPs to provide the email services and content for them while they just provide the connection.

All you need is the connection, you are free to use whatever email service and content you want.

I didn't notice this when I agreed to Yahoo but they have a message posted that says: We collect personal information. You wouldn't believe all the spam that I get now. Most of it goes into my spam folder but an awful lot does not! If I send mail from Yahoo or Outlook Express it always has my Verizon address.
0 Replies