stupid question. whats the penalty for..

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 02:18 pm
makin a house on land you dont own?

like just out there in the middle of nowhere?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,436 • Replies: 10
No top replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 02:25 pm
maybe not a "house" more like a "dwelling"
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 02:30 pm
Are you asking the penalty for trespassing? or destruction of property?

Making improvements on land you don't own means when the land owner kicks you off, you don't get to keep your improvements. Since you downgraded from house to "dwelling" you could be guilty of illegal dumping.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 02:48 pm
Sometimes the "penalty" is a job and a place to live. I remembered this story from a few years ago and dug it up just for you:

Quote:
Father, child lived in homemade shelter in Portland city park for four years

ASSOCIATED PRESS
1:19 p.m. May 20, 2004

PORTLAND, Ore. - A man and his 12-year-old daughter spent four years living in a remote hillside in Portland's Forest Park, until they were spotted by a runner last month, police say.

Tipped by the runner, officers found a tarp-covered, wood-framed shelter deep in the park, covering sleeping bags, a Bible, a stack of old World Book Encyclopedias, and tools. A rope swing, a tilled vegetable garden and a small creek were nearby.

A police dog found the pair huddled behind a tree about 50 yards from the camp. They appeared clean, well-fed and healthy, police Sgt. Michael Barkley said, and the girl was well-spoken beyond her years.

The man identified himself as Frank, and told police he was a 53-year-old Marine Corps veteran and college graduate who served in Vietnam. He came to Oregon with his daughter, Ruth, from Tacoma with no job and virtually no money.

Rather than live on the streets and expose Ruth to alcohol and drugs, Frank said, they hiked deep into Forest Park and built the shelter. During the four years they lived in the park, they left the park twice a week to bank, attend church, buy groceries and clothes from Goodwill. Frank, a devout Christian, said he taught his daughter using the old encyclopedias. They lived on a $400-a-month disability check.

They grew vegetables and used the nearby creek to keep clean. They stored perishable foods in a small pool of water at the creek's edge. The man and girl told police that the runner was the first person to find their camp in four years.

Their biggest worry was being split up, Barkley said.

"Please, don't take me from my daddy," the girl told the 26-year police veteran as they sat on a log talking for at least 30 minutes.

Barkley, who has a 6-year-old daughter, said he was struck by the relationship between father and daughter.

"Their living conditions were unacceptable, but their relationship was a real deep love and caring for each other," Barkley said.

A pediatrician found the girl healthy, with no sign of physical or sexual abuse. A criminal background check came up empty.

Police persuaded them to leave the camp, and they spent two nights at a homeless shelter. Then Barkley found the man a job and a place for the two to live on a friend's horse farm in Yamhill County.

Now, Barkley said, they are living in a mobile home and adjusting to life with heat, electricity and running water. Frank mows lawns and is learning to drive a tractor, and the pair ride bicycles to a nearby church on Sundays.

"The amazing part of this was the fact that Sergeant Barkley really evaluated what was best for these people," North Precinct Cmdr. Scott Anderson said. "Sometimes police would be a little quicker to hand things off to state workers. But instead ... he saw this through to the end."

I don't think most stories have this kind of happy ending though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 02:49 pm
"...illegal dumping..." That one was worth a good laugh. Thanks.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 08:10 pm
Re: stupid question. whats the penalty for..
OGIONIK wrote:
makin a house on land you dont own?

like just out there in the middle of nowhere?

Well, if you live on the land exclusively in an open and notorious manner, claiming it as your own, and you live there continuously for a certain length of time (often 21 years -- check your local statutes), then you get to keep it for yourself. Unless it's the government's land, then you're out of luck.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 01:17 am
shut the hell up no effing way

is that serious?

when im 50 ioll have me some free land woo doggy faster than a mortage too ;D
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 06:46 am
It isn't quite that easy. As Joe pointed out, everyone has to know you live there as your only residence and the owner can't evict you during that time frame.

You are more likely to be struck by lightning than to openly live on the property of someone else for 21 years.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:44 am
As joe said, there are different rules for ownership of property. I remember a saying from a business law course (but this was about ten lifetimes ago); "having possession is 9/10th of the law."
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:06 am
OGIONIK
I haven't checked on my property lately. You aren't living there are you Laughing
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 01:14 pm
possibly -_-
0 Replies