OH NO! No sound - Did Java do it?

Izzie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:00 am
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Something is going horribly wrong on my laptop.

Is anybody else having big problems since this spyware stuff last nite.....

I have lost all my sound - a Java update came through this morning which I did (seemed just like the normal updates which I get regularly). It then automatically gave me Mozilla Firefox as my default browser, (I've always used IE but suddenly Mozilla appeared). The sound has not worked since, everything is very slow and not playing nice - have run Norton 360 again which is not detecting anything....

when I call up msn messenger.... or another program, the windows keep disappearing to the toolbar when I am in the middle of typing something....

CravenDK.... Jes.... anybody got any advice here??????????????

have checked all the settings in the control panel - everything says it is working correctly.

When I go to play music it is playing, sound bar is moving - no sound.

At the top of my laptop there is a button you can push to mute sound etc on like a QuickPlay tool bar on the actual laptop - doesn't work - is constantly blue for on. Can call up quickplay by touching the start button on the toolbar...... NO SOUND THO.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,295 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:25 am
I have uninstalled JavaTM 6 Update 7 so gone back to the original settings.

SIGHTSPEED has disappeared from my toolbar at the bottom.

I can use Skype thru the speakers and hear the test sound and the lady talking.

I have gone into the sound settings and all are enabled - some I can hear the test sounds, others I can't even tho they say they are all working.

Mozilla has now gone again since I unistalled Java update and IE is now running this.

When the laptop fires up.... no windows bbboing....

no email bbboing alerts

no I tunes....

I NEED MUSIC..... it's a deafening silence here!

ANYBODY???
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:30 am
Can you do a restore?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:33 am
I'm not sure what to restore. My external hard drive isn't working and wiped out my previous restores.

I am updating the drivers for the sound cards.....

it was all fine last nite... and this morning... until the Java update.

I can get some sound, like with the Skype test - so I know the internal speakers are working - the little bars that show there is sound are all flashing green.... but something has altered with this update and I can't figure out what - even tho it's now been unistalled Sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:48 am
hmmm

on my system, I go from the start menu to all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore .. and then pick a point in time to restore to
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:50 am
my approach isn't very sophisticated but it gets me back to before I had problems (then I tend to avoid Java updates for a while, as my system tends to get IBS from them and burps for a while)
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 09:49 am
Izzie....I had an automatic update for my computer a couple days ago. Normally I look close to see what it is. Didn't do that this time. Hit ok to update and for it to shut my puter off when it was done. Next day I couldn't even get logged on and I knew my high speed was up and running. Checked my settings in IE. Everything was correct.

System restore took care of the problem. I have no idea why the update messed with me, but it did.

Crazy stuff.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:43 am
OK - well I was given the system restore options back to 8pm last nite. None before that time.....

it tried it.... and shut down... and started up..... no bbbboing for windows starting then...

big red cross and

"an unspecified error occured in system restore"

however.....

i have played around with the settings again and changed the defaults...

and I have sound Shocked

gremlins...... or what? Rolling Eyes

thanku for your help..... i may be back Confused
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 09:38 am
K - I'm back.....

so ... anyone

my settings have obviously altered somewhere along the way.

I had the same problem this morning - when I turned the laptop on no screen - could hear windows starting up etc - but black screen and 3 LOUD beeps when I turned the machine on.

So off again.... on and pushed F10 (don't know why but think I remember something about F10) - laptop beeped, restarted itself and all was fine.

So, something has got to have changed in the start up..... but I can't seem to find how to change the start up....

can anyone advise me please Confused
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 11:27 am
Right I am now on the OLD PC...

I put the laptop on hibernate, and when trying to start it - it happened again. This went on for ages. Finally somehow I got it working and got into the F10menu and tried to do a scan on the hard disk. Which it came back and said "failed" - it rebooted itself and is up and running now - came up with a screen which said about it could not restore and I had to enter to go ahead. Now - I don't want to turn it off again in case it will not work again Sad

Can anyone suggest how I check the start up settings please?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 11:30 am
Microsoft released an update that HORKED XP users, then recalled it. It really messed up DNS and ZoneAlarm, if you use that.

If you can, do a search on "Microsoft July Update".
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 11:45 am
I have VISTA Confused

I'm now trying to back up the C Drive onto a suspect external hard drive. It is coming up saying that various files no longer exist in C

e.g. config.msi

WTHeck......

The laptop is gonna have to go back to the shop... I know it, I just can't bring myself to take it back and not have it.

HOW SAD AM I Razz

oh holy crap.... the C drive will not copy across.....

panicking now Shocked
0 Replies