Broadband Internet in the UK

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:55 am
Does anyone in the UK have any advice about the broadband packages available? Or perhaps horror stories of ones to avoid? Where I live I have the choice of BT (no surprise) or NTL.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 956 • Replies: 11
No top replies

the prince

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:07 am
I have heard horror stories abt both BT and NTL.

I have just signed up to AOL Boradband, some of my friends who have it say it is the best amongst the three.

With more and more sites being blocked by my corporate network, I thought it was abt time I got a good internet connection at home !
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 02:17 am
How much is the package, G? I've heard in the past stories about AOL blocking sites for no reason and you have to use their own-brand browser? Is this still the case?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 04:22 am
Monthly fee is 27.99 and the modem is free. I think you can use explorer once you connect, but you need their software installed to connect.

Dunno how it is going to be for broadband - the modem should arrive today but I am in Poland - will give you more info once I have setup the damn thing.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 06:02 am
I've got broadband via NTL and it works fine. It's always on offer with deals. Look at NTLs web page to see what's happening.
The broadband for 1 PC, 2 phone lines, a 24/7 dial up cpnnection for 2nd PC, & basic TV package works out at about £45.00 per month.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 06:09 am
We need a slightly complicated arrangement in our (shared) house as their are 3 of us wanting internet. We'll get one line in, through the modem, then into a router box and split the connection 3 ways, then into ethernet cards in each PC. This means not only all 3 can use internet at same time, but we can do network gaming against each other through the local network we'll have created.

The last time I looked the NTL deals were £17 for 250K, £25 for 600K and £35 for 1M. BT was £30 for 500K. The router box will cost around £60 quid, £10 each for network cards and £20 for cabling. Am I correct in thinking that NTL don;t charge for modem or instalation?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:36 am
I got my modem for free but they wont support a splitter or routing system to multiple PCs. You will have to get that done after installation
0 Replies

vinaythakur

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 04:01 am
hi all..

guys for your kind info.. BT has gone out of services last month.. some leagal hastles i guess..not sure..
so might be a possibilty of prices goin up for others..

take cae.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 09:47 am
No - that is not correct. BT is still offering broadband in the UK
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:21 am
You can't get broadband in the UK, if BT hasn't build up the lines for it. (Same in Germany with t-online, both being the former telephone monopolists.)

BT broadband (link)

However, BT stopped "BT Openworld" and launched its joint venture "BT Yahoo! Broadband".
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:00 am
BT have put the broadband cables in most of the country now I think. Nearly everyone living in a town or city should be able to get access. Those in the countryside will have to wait for a long time as it's not economically viable for BT to instal them way out into the sticks.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 03:57 am
I've been with pipex for twelve months,, it was voted in the top 5 for what's worth.
0 Replies