neologist

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 09:40 am
Sorry, Set. Ros had the more interesting comment.

I'll still save coffee for ya.

Gotta go now.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:03 am
You needn't apologize to me. Frankly, i don't want to hear your entire "free will" bullshit routine again. All it would result in is the necessity of quoting the actual text of Genesis to show that you're full of horsie poop.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 12:12 pm
Chumly wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:
what is SA-10?
"Into Thy Hands", Lester del Rey (Astounding, August 1945)

A story about three robots left behind after the destruction of humanity whom end up recreating the human race and acting out the roles of Adam & Eve.

The Adam robot gets religion, but because his model number is SA-10 he thinks he is satan. The other robot who was chartered to protect mankind has to literally recreate humanity after they die out from war.

That sounds like a great story. I read some Lester del Rey when I was younger, but I must have missed this one.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 12:16 pm
neologist wrote:
But I assume you expect an explanation of this: ". . . just as he chose us in union with him before the founding of the world, that we should be holy and without blemish before him in love. 5 For he foreordained us to the adoption through Jesus Christ as sons to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will. . . "(Ephesians 1:4,5)

I wouldn't expect an explanation such as that any more than I would expect someone to show me a Rorschach blot as an answer to my question.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 01:53 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
The Bible calls Satan the ruler (or prince, I'd have to look up the exact wording) of the air Neo. Satan is the god of the world. Dominion over it was given to him after the fall in the Garden of Eden.

But, that will soon end!

So rebel against the biblical god, and you become a god yourself and get somewhere to rule as you please, not a bad deal might i add.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 01:59 pm
Guess you haven't read the end of the book BDV? Satan loses bigtime. Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 02:15 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:
what is SA-10?
"Into Thy Hands", Lester del Rey (Astounding, August 1945)

A story about three robots left behind after the destruction of humanity whom end up recreating the human race and acting out the roles of Adam & Eve.

The Adam robot gets religion, but because his model number is SA-10 he thinks he is satan. The other robot who was chartered to protect mankind has to literally recreate humanity after they die out from war.

That sounds like a great story. I read some Lester del Rey when I was younger, but I must have missed this one.
There is some great SF from the Golden Age that blends in religiosity and/or morals.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 02:18 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Guess you haven't read the end of the book BDV? Satan loses bigtime. Laughing

The book is still being written, edited and updated.....
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 03:08 pm
Then you definitely have not read the book? It says if anyone adds to it or takes away from what is written they are accursed? You must have missed that part. :wink:
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:35 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Then you definitely have not read the book? It says if anyone adds to it or takes away from what is written they are accursed? You must have missed that part. :wink:

there must be allot of cursed people about then!!! Smile just look at the different versions and translation available, and how they differ..... plus who put that bit in since it was constantine who compiled it, (mr sun god worshipper himself.) not the authors of the separate books. Anyhow, surely changing it to english alone is changing the original context Smile Oh and i have read "the book" a few times, would love to read it in greek (If only i had the time to learn the lingo) just too see how many ways it can be translated....Sure greek orthodox is almost a completely different religion compared too catholicism....
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 09:51 pm
Setanta wrote:
You needn't apologize to me. Frankly, i don't want to hear your entire "free will" bullshit routine again. All it would result in is the necessity of quoting the actual text of Genesis to show that you're full of horsie poop.
HMPH!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 09:57 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
But I assume you expect an explanation of this: ". . . just as he chose us in union with him before the founding of the world, that we should be holy and without blemish before him in love. 5 For he foreordained us to the adoption through Jesus Christ as sons to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will. . . "(Ephesians 1:4,5)

I wouldn't expect an explanation such as that any more than I would expect someone to show me a Rorschach blot as an answer to my question.
You asked the question. Why would you not expect an answer?

Is reasoning painful for you?

I think I understand. . .
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:06 pm
neologist wrote:

No, but having someone couch their answers in riddles merely as an excuse to blurt some bible babble at me, is.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:20 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

No, but having someone couch their answers in riddles merely as an excuse to blurt some bible babble at me, is.
So you are looking for an answer to this:
rosborne979 wrote:
If the nature of God did compel him to know all of our moral outcomes, would it still be "God" to you? Or would you abandon him for being something you don't want him to be?
Short answer:
I couldn't worship such a god. But since, I would be lacking free will, what difference would it make what I did or did not do?

I suppose it would be a great dodge of responsibility, though.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:26 pm
BDV wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:
The Bible calls Satan the ruler (or prince, I'd have to look up the exact wording) of the air Neo. Satan is the god of the world. Dominion over it was given to him after the fall in the Garden of Eden.

But, that will soon end!

So rebel against the biblical god, and you become a god yourself and get somewhere to rule as you please, not a bad deal might i add.
Sorry, Only the first rebel got to be the boss of something. You would have to suck up to him
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:34 pm
neologist wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
If the nature of God did compel him to know all of our moral outcomes, would it still be "God" to you? Or would you abandon him for being something you don't want him to be?
Short answer:
I couldn't worship such a god.

Then in a sense, haven't you created a god in your mind which you can worship? Aren't you placing limits on what God can be?
neologist wrote:
But since, I would be lacking free will, what difference would it make what I did or did not do?

You wouldn't necessarily be lacking free will. Such a God wouldn't necessarily have to compel you in any way. It might simply be an observer.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 11:20 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Short answer:
I couldn't worship such a god.

Then in a sense, haven't you created a god in your mind which you can worship? Aren't you placing limits on what God can be?
These are limits he placed on himself, if he were to call them 'limits'
rosborne979 wrote:

neologist wrote:
But since, I would be lacking free will, what difference would it make what I did or did not do?

You wouldn't necessarily be lacking free will. Such a God wouldn't necessarily have to compel you in any way. It might simply be an observer.
One would have to ask why he would create us if he knew what our moral outcome would be - that our eventuality would be without hope.

Sort of "I know you are going to crash and burn. But hey; have a good time.. ."
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 11:51 pm
neologist wrote:
BDV wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:

But, that will soon end!

Sorry, Only the first rebel got to be the boss of something. You would have to suck up to him

Ach!!!! them rules suck, im going to church today to give off stink
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 12:07 am
The answer to the question of this thread seems to be : None of the Above.

Joe(just more layers of frosting on the myth cake)Nation
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:50 am
neologist wrote:
These are limits he placed on himself, if he were to call them 'limits'

You don't know that. You only know what you will or won't worship.

neologist wrote:
One would have to ask why he would create us if he knew what our moral outcome would be - that our eventuality would be without hope.

Sort of "I know you are going to crash and burn. But hey; have a good time.. ."

What happened to "God works in mysterious ways"? Must all of its choices now make sense to us, in order for you to believe in it?

By attempting to understand God, instead of just experiencing God, aren't you inherently limiting what God can be to you?
0 Replies