Do we exist?

aperson

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:52 pm
It sounds like a stupid question.

Rene Descartes wrote:
Cogito, ergo sum

Latin: I think, therefore I exist.

Sounds sound, but I am aware there is a Buddhist philosophy that disputes our own existence. I couldn't track it down, but if anyone knows it I would be eager to hear it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 940 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 07:38 pm
I am all ears.

Joe(and several other excitable body parts, but mostly ears)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 12:20 pm
I exist . . . the rest of you are just fig newtons of my imagination.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 12:39 pm
Premise---he who smelt it dealt it
Observation---I smelt it
Conclusion--I dealt it
Extension---I'm real, now where are all you zombies from?

Rap
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 12:48 pm
Setanta wrote:

what if i flog you upside your head? will i exist then?
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 12:56 pm
Can you prove that you think?

For Descartes to be certain of anything in the first place he must prove that God exists, God is the basis for his epistemological enterprise. His whole philosophy is fundamentally flawed.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 03:13 pm
As I see it, Decartes was stuck at the level of thought. And since your question is one framed as thought, the only "logical" (i.e., thoughtful) response is that you DO exist by virtue of your behaving as an agent of thought.
Buddhism, however, is not a philosophy in the sense of existing as a system of thoughts. It operates--as I see it--at the level of immediate and concrete experience, experience that is "pre-reflective" or independent of thought.
Now if we LOOk at (as opposed to just think about) experience [and notice that the dualism inherent in our language requires that I speak of "my" experience as something separate from a "me"] we see it both coming into existence and fading from my phenomenal field simultaneously.
BOTTOM LINE: The non-dualistic posture of buddhism (AS I EXPERIENCE IT) holds that "I"/"my" life both exist and not exist simultaneously.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 03:24 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Setanta wrote:

what if i flog you upside your head? will i exist then?

No, that would just prove that he's a bit twisted.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 03:24 pm
Solipsism ain't for the faint of heart; it's more for those who like to masturbate.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 03:33 pm
But DrewDad, look carefully and you'll see that language and culture are forms of COLLECTIVE masturbation.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 03:40 pm
JLNobody wrote:
But DrewDad, look carefully and you'll see that language and culture are forms of COLLECTIVE masturbation.

There are more exciting forms of collective masturbation. I prefer seedy movie theaters, for example.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 03:48 pm
Well I would too if the audiences in those theatres included women.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 02:24 am
Haha... but then no one would be watching the movie....

But regarding cogito ergo sum... In my opinion he could have said just "sum" and it would be proof enough and with fewer assumptions.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:57 am
Cyracuz your signature line--"We don't see things as they are. We see things as we are"--is useful here.
Decartes' dictum, "cogito ergo sum" seemed axiomatic to him as it does to most people everywhere because it reflects THE WAY WE ARE: ego illlusions.

"Sum" would have said what "cogito..." denoted because they are both expressions of this ego illusion.

aperson

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 06:12 pm
I'm gone for a few days and the level of conversation drops more than a few notches.

Anyhow, JL, to be honest I have no idea how we can both exist and not exist simultaneously.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 10:38 pm
Consider, Aperson, that static "being" does not exist, only dynamic "becoming", process, flux, and change "exist". And because of its dynamic nature this "existence" is also "non-existence."
I'm thinking, of course of the perspective of Zen buddhism, Nietzsche and Heraclitis. The latter famously noted that we cannot step into the same river twice because the river is never the same; its continous change amounts to its simultaneous existence and non-existence.
The same applies to the person who cannot step into the river twice because HE is changing as well. All in nature is process, but all thought refers to artificially static conceptual "entities." This applies even to logic with its reference to artificial static As, Bs, Cs, etc..
Good night.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 10:49 pm
Ok, I understand now.

Cheers.
0 Replies