My Big Fat Greek Wedding a Big Fat Bust

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:29 am
My wedding had 26...we liked that....I can't imagine 2000!!

Slappy always cracks me up...I thought '28 Days Later' had a bit of a feel-good thing happening, but Mrs. cav didn't agree.

I also loved 'The Sheltering Skin', and if anyone has seen it, or knows where it can be purchased, I would like to know. It seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:21 am
In Ethiopia I went to a cool wedding with 6000 people. Bride's daddy was a major businessman & such.
Expensive alcohol on every table, and all the raw bovine yew could stomach (it's a specialty there).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:23 am
Monger, is that the kifta with the really spicy marinade?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:46 am
ehBeth, I've certainly experienced my fair share of epic weddings. In the movie, the actual focus on the wedding was relatively limited.

It seemed to me that everything in the film was trite, stale, and unimaginative. The characters were flimsy stereotypes.

I think I'd probably enjoy a movie about a big wedding if there was something in the film to believe or care about. Just deciding on who sits where could be its own film. My Big Fat Seating Plan.

No, no. You can't seat Maura next to Edna. And we can't put forty people on the dais. And if Charley's coming, then Mickey isn't. Etc.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:54 am
Well, given the success of the film, Roberta, and a few 'I liked it' comments here, it looks like it's just going to have to be one of those things about public taste that will remain unanswered.

Given that Guatam, Portal Star and I represent very different demographics, I'm guessing that it's got some appeal at a few different levels. And as I said, I liked it. I wouldn't give it a rave review. John Corbett is no Johnny Depp. Not as an actor, nor as an object. Not that we should objectify people.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 11:00 am
I didn't think he was cute in that movie, but liked him in northern exposure. mmmm....johhnnnnyyy ddeeepppp..... Going to see that new movie tonight that's a sequel to desparado... somthing mexican... with jhonny depp, antonio banderas, and salma hayek in it.
What do you think my demographic is, ebeth buzzie?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 11:06 am
cavfancier wrote:
Monger, is that the kifta with the really spicy marinade?

Well, they have a number of ways of serving raw beef spicy (& minced) over there, but on such a special occasion as it was what you'd do was head for the chefs at the end of the huge buffet, point to a tender looking area on one of the 30 hanging cows and they'd lop a big chunk into your plate. Ise just plastic bagged it & made myself some good steaks at home that night.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 11:56 am
That's "Once Upon a Time in Mexico," Portal directed by Robert Rodriguez of "Spy Kids" fame.

He also made "From Dusk Until Dawn," a loony spoof of vampire movies in the ilk of "Piranha," where it looks like the film is straighforward horror but has intentions of parody.

I don't know if I'd be expecting that much -- the title itself is derivative of Sergio Leone's "Once Upon a Time in the West," and "Once Upon a Time in America," both four star movies or close to it.

I think "Greek Wedding" was popular because American films have rather ignored the Greek culture ever since "Zorba." Has anyone here thrown dinner plates across a restaurant lately?
Now if there could be a serious film exploring that culture and there might be with the Olympics coming up. My favorite "wedding" picture is still "The Wedding Banquet."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:00 pm
The Wedding Banquet is one of my all-time faves, too.

I haven't seen "MBFGW", but from what I've read/been told, it's an expectation thing. If you have low expectations, it's a pleasant romp. If you have high expectations, it won't live up to them. I'd be happy to watch it for free. I DO like John Corbett, and Nia Vardalos (sp?) has been engaging and funny when I've seen her.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:19 pm
Monger, I can't say I have ever had a catering request like that...tres interesting. When I was younger though, I was at real big fat Greek wedding where sheep's heads were the delicacy of choice for the dinner.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:26 pm
The actors are obviously having fun making the film. Didn't happen with the sitcom -- they seemed to be forced and the timing was consistently off. You'd think Tom Hanks would hire some good writers but I don't know if he had anything to do with the sitcom.

Another film loosely give one a flavor of Greek culture was "The Guns of Navarone." Can anyone name any others?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:30 pm
Clash of the Titans? Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:34 pm
Oy, you're funny, cav. Certainly gave us a primer on Greek myth, huh? I enjoy that movie and just saw a brand new 70mm print on digital cable and in wide screen.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:38 pm
I liked it too. I wonder what Harry Hamlin thinks though, looking back? 'Jason and the Argonauts', that's another one I thought of. The skeleton battles....for the time, that was great work.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 01:43 pm
Ray Harryhausen, or "Mr. Stop Motion Animation." And with CGI, likely a dead art.

The music in "Jason" was also by Bernard Hermann of Hitchcock movie fame -- "Vertigo," "Psycho," "North by Northwest," etc)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 01:49 pm
Re "feel good" movies in general. Any movie that has a blurb along the lines of "The feel good movie of 2003!" I make a mental note to avoid. These films tend to be contrived and manipulate the audience at every turn. I like to figure things out for myself, I guess.

And I don't like "date movies" either. Same reasons...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:00 pm
Quick replies to everything in this thread:

Big Fat Greek Wedding: mediocre, predictable.
Ugly duckling to swan: the nice part.
Only other funny moments: the father's etymological obsession.
Moonsoon Wedding: a good film, funny and touching.
Best wedding film I've seen: The Wedding Banquet
My (last) wedding? 4 guests.
The Ethiopian wedding: it must have cost a chunk of the country's GDP.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:26 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Re "feel good" movies in general. Any movie that has a blurb along the lines of "The feel good movie of 2003!" I make a mental note to avoid. These films tend to be contrived and manipulate the audience at every turn. I like to figure things out for myself, I guess.

And I don't like "date movies" either. Same reasons...

Me too! And "Romantic Comedy" is ususally also somthing to aviod. How about "Action Packed...!" Usually when they say that it has no plot. There seem to be a lot of feel good movies of the year, most don't leave me feeling good. Did you know it's typical for movie studios to buy critics? sometimes they even make up their own- create a critic with a good review who doesn't exist.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:32 pm
The Hollywood machine sure cranks out a lot of mediocrity -- it's really fast food movies (an expensive fast food at that with $9.00 the average ticket price). Only occassionally do they offer up a gourmet meal like "Matchstick Men" or "Seabiscuit." Just resign yourselves to the fact that there is only one movie a month worth seeing and it's often a foreign film.
Of course, if one is unwilling to endure sub-titles.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:37 pm
Zorba the Greek
0 Replies