Will Rogers

husker

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 01:58 pm
Quote:
Will Rogers, who died in a plane crash with Wylie Post in 1935, was
probably the greatest political sage this country has ever known. Hope you enjoy the following quotes as much as I did. They even make sense!!!

1. Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco.

2. Never kick a cow chip on a hot day.

3. There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works.

4. Never miss a good chance to shut up.

5. Always drink upstream from the herd.

6. If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

7. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it and put it back in
your pocket.

8. There are three kinds of men.
1) The ones that learn by reading;
2) The few who learn by observation;
3) And the majority who have to pee on the electric fence.

9. Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

10. If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and
then to make sure it's still there.

11. Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back.

12. And finally: After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so
good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot
him... The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

AND, ABOUT GROWING OLDER............

1. Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age
and start bragging about it.

2. The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.

3. Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to
know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren't paved.

4. When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth, think of
algebra.

5. You know you are getting old when every thing either dries up or
leaks.

6. I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.

7. One of the many things no one tells you about aging is that it is such
a nice change from being young.

8. One must wait until evening to see how splendid the day has been.

9. Being young is beautiful, but being old is comfortable.

10. Long ago when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks, it was
called witchcraft. Today it's called golf.

And finally,
If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything
to laugh at when you are old.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,212 • Replies: 5
No top replies

kev

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 02:06 pm
Love it Husker. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 03:59 pm
Husker -- Some of those are not actually Will Rogers', but they are still good. Rogers is the all-time favorite son of my state, Oklahoma. His ranch is not far from where I am. Rogers had a regular newspaper column in his day, where he regularly skewered the government. He was held in such high regard, however, that everyone loved him anyway. Here are some of his best. Amazing how things never change, isn't it?

ON POLITICS:

I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat.

On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does.

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House?

Our constitution protects aliens, drunks and U.S. Senators.

Politics is applesauce.

Take the diplomacy out of war and the thing would fall flat in a week.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

There ought to be one day-- just one-- when there is open season on senators.

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.

This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer.

The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.

You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.

Congress is so strange...a man gets up to speak and says nothing, nobody listens, and then everybody disagrees."

Congress meets tomorrow morning. Let us all pray: "Oh Lord, give us strength to bear that which is about to be inflicted upon us. Be merciful with them, oh Lord, for they know not what they're doing. Amen."

We all joke about Congress but we can't improve on them. Have you noticed that no matter who we elect, he is just as bad as the one he replaces?

We cuss Congress, and we joke about 'em, but they are all good fellows at heart...and if they wasn't in Congress, why, they would be doing something else against us that might be even worse.

Now these fellows in Washington wouldn't be so serious and particular if they only had to vote on what they thought was good for the majority of the people in the U.S. That would be a cinch. But what makes it hard for them is every time a bill comes up they have things to decide that have nothing to do with the merit of the bill. The principal thing is of course: What will this do for me personally back home?

The "Ways & Means Committee" is a committee that's supposed to find the Ways to divide up the Means.

Never blame a legislative body for not doing something. When they do nothing, they don't hurt anybody. When they do something is when they become dangerous.

The Senate just sits and waits till they find out what the president wants, so they know how to vote against him.

Senators are a never-ending source of amusement, amazement, and discouragement.

Funny thing about being a U.S. senator, the only thing the law says you have to be is 30 years old. Not another single requirement. They just figure that a man that old got nobody to blame but himself if he gets caught in there.

Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell Congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em.

A president just can't make much showing against Congress. They lay awake nights, thinking up things to be against the president on.

The Democrats and the Republicans are equally corrupt: it's only in the amount where the Republicans excel.

It's getting so if a man wants to stand well socially, he can't afford to be seen with either the Democrats or the Republicans.

Their greatest trait to recommend the Democrats is optimism and humor. You've got to be an optimist to be a Democrat, and you've got to be a humorist to stay one.

There is something about a Republican that you can only stand him just so long; and on the other hand, there is something about a Democrat that you can't stand him quite that long.

Democrats never agree on anything, that's why they're Democrats. If they agreed with each other, they would be Republicans.

A politician is not as narrow-minded as he forces himself to be.

Many a politician wishes there was a law to burn old records.

In Europe public men do resign. But here it's a lost art. You have to impeach 'em.

A Republican moves slowly. They are what we call conservatives. A conservative is a man who has plenty of money and doesn't see any reason why he shouldn't always have plenty of money. A Democrat is a fellow who never had any, but doesn't see any reason why he shouldn't have some.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 04:11 pm
They were in an email - I said what the heck I'll take the chance - darn - ouch - blush!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 04:21 pm
Oh, I know! I've gotten that one myself! The strange thing is, his real quotes are even funnier!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 07:54 pm
This is real good... Thank you so much!
0 Replies