Lost original version of "Metropolis" found

Chai

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 03:19 pm
I hope there's more footage of the fake Maria doing her hootchy chootchy dance.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 03:27 pm
Chai, we're trying to be serious here.

Pour Wally a drink and go to bed.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 05:54 pm
Gosh, just checked in so I missed this thread. I had seen a version screen in a Hollywood theater in the 50's which was suppose to contain all the available original footage. I was disappointed in later versions as they were sometimes heavily truncated. The last restoration which you've mentioned restored some of what I remembered. Since the reels were obtained and the showing arranged by Mr. Sci-Fi, Forry Ackerman, I'm just wondering if I called him if he knows this was the Argentine film as I knew it came from a museum in a South American country. Hollywood, unfortunately is notorious for slicing and dicing up great films. Look what happened to Welles' "The Magnificent Andersons" and later to another Welles, "Touch of Evil." "Touch of Evil " was restored to the original Welles (which I believe added scenes but took some out), one pf the most important was the famous opening tracking shot with the music coming out of the bars on the street (old Venice, Ca doubling for a Mexican border town) which was typical jukebox Mexican pop music instead of the Henry Mancini score. The butcher job on "The Magnificent Andersons" has so-far been the only available version -- will we all still be alive when someone checks a vault somewhere and finds the cut footage (Robert Wise balked at having to do it and inferred that the cut footage was all destroyed so Welles would have no was to restore a Director's Cut).

This is really great news, Joe, and I can hardly wait to see it and speak to Forry about this anticipated full version.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 04:01 pm
An update: The restored version of Metropolis, with 25 minutes of added footage, will be shown in selected theaters in the US and Canada. It will be released in the UK in September.

Here's the trailer:

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 04:18 pm
Neat-o.
0 Replies