DNA Was Designed By A Mind

raprap

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 01:18 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Survival and fit are defined by a niche RL, if the niche no longer exists, the genetic design for that fit may no longer give an advantage. Or more accurately a given set of genetic features may not entirely be useful anymore.

Does the bible have an explanation for the appendix RL?

T
K
O

The appendix is a consequence of a not-so-intelligent designer---kinda like George Bush possibly being the intestine of the US constitution.

BTW, this is my major fault of the concept of intelligent design--it is a result of less than adequate features of the human (and non human) species. Yes they work, but they could be vastly improved--something that random mutation/natural selection might accomplish over an extremely long period of time (much longer than the 8000 years of recorded history)--but not something that an intelligent designer would accept--that is unless that intelligent designer is either not-too-intelligent or a 'comic' designer.

Neither of those two options would not be my choice for a supreme being/ creator.

Now a truly intelligent designer would be one who designed a system that works with a minimum of control and rule, acknowledging what Kurt Godel proved almost a half century ago--the concept of incompleteness--that any system can never be completely known.

I would then guess that this realization would require a little humility--something that most world religions fail to recognize--that is if man and women were uniquely created in the Big Kahuna's own image, then that image is flawed.

As a result, the most sentient view of evolution in general, and Darwin's (& Wallace's) theory of evolution is that it is probably the mechanism of a truly intelligent designer as supported by evidence. The problem then comes when you accept this premise come when you realize that mankind is neither the only and ultimate creation of this creator.

Rap
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 06:01 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Survival and fit are defined by a niche RL, if the niche no longer exists, the genetic design for that fit may no longer give an advantage. Or more accurately a given set of genetic features may not entirely be useful anymore.

T
K
O

Are you saying that the appendix has no function and no possible function?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 06:42 am
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
Survival and fit are defined by a niche RL, if the niche no longer exists, the genetic design for that fit may no longer give an advantage. Or more accurately a given set of genetic features may not entirely be usefulanymore.

T
K
O

Are you saying that the appendix has no function and no possible function?

Read what TKO said again real life...

I highlighted it to make sure you can't miss what he said. Compare what TKO said to what you said. Do you see how you misrepresented what TKO had said? Will you admit you misrepresented his statement?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:39 am
I didn't 'represent' him one way or the other. I asked a question to clarify whether the generalization he had made applied (in his view) to the off-the-wall question he asked at the conclusion of his post.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:45 am
Yes, you certainly did misrepresent him. Nothing he said suggested or implied that the appendix has no function and no possible function. In fact, DTKO's remark was rather temporally specific, and rather specifically unspecific. His remark was that something may not be entirely useful any longer.

That means that it may once have been useful, not not now. That means it might no longer be as useful as it once was. More than any of that, it means that he is speculating--he is not stating to a certainty that any of it is true.

You're a bullshit artist, "real life."
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:54 am
Setanta wrote:
.....DTKO's remark was rather temporally specific, and rather specifically unspecific. His remark was that something may not be entirely useful any longer.

That means that it may once have been useful, not not now. That means it might no longer be as useful as it once was. More than any of that, it means that he is speculating--he is not stating to a certainty that any of it is true.

Which is exactly why I asked for clarification whether he was applying that to the question of the appendix or not.
0 Replies

loony

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 08:04 am
real life, you continually criticise everybody elses explanations/theorys/ideas.

If everybody is wrong, Can we have an explanation from you as to the correct answer to the question:

who do you think designed DNA?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 08:08 am
real life wrote:
loony wrote:
Quote:
My first post in this particular thread was to take issue with the idea of 'junk DNA'.

Many folks have considered large sections of DNA to be 'junk' based solely on their ignorance of it's function. 'if we don't know what it does, it must be useless'.

This second code not only puts to shame (again) the idea that 'DNA of unknown function MUST be junk', but also poses huge problems for the 'evolution of DNA'.

With more than one code in DNA, if you tinker with one you potentially have code conflicts with the other(s).

How did more than one code 'evolve' in dna AT THE SAME TIME?

Or if you want to provide some humor, tell me that they could have evolved separately. Laughing

what I am discovering from reading about the theorys surrounding DNA etc is that Life seems to be very efficient but not completely inflexible.

however the junk DNA would make sense to me as Life saying 'better have and not want, than to want and not have'

What would be the 'survival advantage' of carrying around a lot of extra baggage?

There would be no reason for such an arrangement to be 'selected for'.

Calling something 'junk' just because you don't know it's function is a display and celebration of ignorance.

Now it seems that dna has MORE THAN one code. Simplistic explanations like evolution assume that changing the genetic code of dna would inevitably lead to a better adapted organism. But with more than one code on the table, the ante has just been raised.

Already before, chemists and biologists admitted that the overwhelming majority of mutations were not beneficial.

With the addition of new code, the credulity required by evolutionary thinking is greatly increased.

Abiogenesis, the supposed first step in evolution, is a pipe dream.

Here you postulate self reproducing vesicles with metabolic activity that develop a self replicating molecule such as dna.

How the replicator 'learns' to reproduce it's environment is left undiscussed.

It's simply assumed that a replicator develops and all is well (of course theres that chiralty problem and a host of others, but we won't bring that up either)

What survival advantage is there for these metabolic vesicles to do the heavy lifting to produce a self replicating molecule if they are doing just fine on their own?

Keep in mind that the survival advantage must be there from the get go. But it's gonna take a loooooonnnnnnnggggg time and many generations to develop a replicator anywhere near the size and complexity needed to support life.

No survival advantage until it can replicate not only[/u] itself but also the environment that produced it. So how does it 'learn' how to reproduce the environment (the reproducing vesicle) that produced it?

And what happens when a mutation screws up not just one code, but more than one?

loony wrote:
real life, you continually criticise everybody elses explanations/theorys/ideas.

If everybody is wrong, Can we have an explanation from you as to the correct answer to the question:

Sorry if I've upset you by asking a question. I thought science was open to questions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:27 am
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
.....DTKO's remark was rather temporally specific, and rather specifically unspecific. His remark was that something may not be entirely useful any longer.

Which is exactly why I asked for clarification whether he was applying that to the question of the appendix or not.

And in the process you willfully distorted his statement form "something may not be entirely useful any longer" into "has no function and has no possible function."

Note that you edited out the portion of my post which made that clear. As usual, you are just quote mining in aid of your attempt to distort what others write.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:29 am
loony wrote:

You'll never get an answer to that. He isn't interested in supporting the thesis of the thread, he is interested in making it look as though his poofism is the only possible explanation, without actually being obliged to state as much and then defend the position.
0 Replies

loony

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:32 am
i'm not upset at all real life, all you have done is try to debunk and it's kind of boring keep trying to explain and answer your loaded questions.

you are not the original poster so don't need an answer from science but you have entered into discussion about the question so,

I think its only fair if you give us your explanation.

0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:34 am
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

And in the process you willfully distorted his statement form "something may not be entirely useful any longer" into "has no function and has no possible function."

Funny that the open minded self professing 'scientific types' cannot abide anyone daring to ask a question. And you seem to be afraid that he might answer it.
0 Replies

loony

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:39 am
Ok Please will you give an explanation? hell, i might even agree with you but if you won't give me anything to agree with, how.....

Who do you think designed DNA?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:40 am
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Funny that the open minded self professing 'scientific types' cannot abide anyone daring to ask a question. And you seem to be afraid that he might answer it.

I don't give a rat's ass if he answers the question or not--it's no skin off my nose. I see that you have edited once again to avoid the point i made that you have willfully distorted what he wrote.

That's about all you have going for you in this thread. You seem to be the one who is afraid to answer a question--you appear to be the one who cannot abide anyone daring to ask a question. I've asked you repeatedly for dozens of pages what evidence you have that DNA was "designed" by a mind--and you have not responded.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:45 am
loony wrote:
i'm not upset at all real life, all you have done is try to debunk and it's kind of boring keep trying to explain and answer your loaded questions.

you are not the original poster so don't need an answer from science but you have entered into discussion about the question so,

I think its only fair if you give us your explanation.

My pov is that of a supernatural origin of life. To be clear, I've not stated or implied that there is 'natural' evidence of the 'supernatural'. It would seem an odd requirement.

I've stated my doubts as to the origin of DNA by natural processes. As such, we've seen the hyper-naturalists onboard here hem and haw when asked to provide the natural evidence they claim is so abundant.

Again to be clear, evidence is NOT 'well it COULDA happened, or it MIGHTA been', but should be actual evidence.

For instance, since life on earth is based on dna/rna, any claim that 'earlier replicators formed the basis of early life on Earth' should be accompanied by some real evidence that ANY other replicator has EVER been the basis for a living organism.

Otherwise, it is basically speculation and wishful thinking IMHO.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:48 am
Setanta wrote:
I've asked you repeatedly for dozens of pages what evidence you have that DNA was "designed" by a mind--and you have not responded.

I've said on more than one occasion that I've not claimed to have any 'natural' evidence of the 'supernatural'.

For you to pretend otherwise has been both amusing and somewhat pitiful.
0 Replies

loony

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:49 am
Quote:
My pov is that of a supernatural origin of life. To be clear, I've not stated or implied that there is 'natural' evidence of the 'supernatural'. It would seem an odd requirement.

Ok. now we are getting somewhere, so... I am a buyer, you haven't made the sale yet, start selling.........

please continue.
0 Replies

loony

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:56 am
you've wet my appetite, don't leave me drooling

science is offering some nice discounts...........
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 03:15 pm
Setanta wrote:
You're a bullshit artist, "real life."

Emphasis on "artist" Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 03:22 pm
Hey, what happened to Baddog? Unless I'm using the system wrong, I think his last post on any thread was way back on June3. Is he ok?

BD, are you still with us?
0 Replies