DNA Was Designed By A Mind

parados

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 07:33 am
real life wrote:

I've provided a link at least three times in this short thread, including at least one post that you responded to and quoted.

I can't do the reading for you.

(yeah great post Brandon) Laughing

You provided a link and as usual you were told you were misrepresenting the argument made by Shapiro.

You ignore it when others point out where Shapiro doesn't agree with you and repeat your argument as if it has merit, which it doesn't. Your argument will never have merit because you base it on lies about what others said.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 07:39 am
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
As I understand it, the theory of evolution usually assumes that somehere a simple replicating molecule eventually formed by chance, and that the combined forces of natural selection and mutation began to cause the design to slowly improve and gain complexity, resulting eventually in life as observed today. Anyway, any scientific theory that's halfway plausible is superior to a magical theory.

Do you know what happens to DNA left out in the open? It degrades and is destroyed.

It doesn't keepa chuggin, gettin' better ever' day.

Who's talking about DNA left out in the open??? I'm not. I'm talking about a self-replicating molecule of unknown type, formed in the ocean, which developed over the eons into a single celled organism.......

ooooohhhhhhh

its left out in the ocean.....not the air.......

now that makes a lot of difference

DNA left in the ocean would surely build itself into a critter right quick

Laughing

do you seriously propose that DNA would not degrade in the ocean?

(oops almost forgot, great post Brandon) Laughing

And now you are arguing the OPPOSITE of what Shapiro said.

Shapiro states that the self replicating molecules are in an environment that protects them and allows them to thrive. Whether the replicating molecule is DNA, RNA or some other molecule as Shapiro proposes, no one other than you thinks the process happened in the wide open ocean. It most likely occurred in an area that was isolated and protective of the molecule until the molecule evolved to survive outside that immediate area or the area changed and the molecule evolved to survive the changes.

If you are going to use Shapiro then stop arguing things he never said and would have never said.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 07:45 am
From Shapiro...

Quote:
The small molecule approach to the origin of life makes several demands upon nature (a compartment, an external energy supply, a driver reaction coupled to that supply, and the existence of a chemical network that contains that reaction).

As usual, you are full of **** real life. You co-opt Shapiro's argument that the earliest replicator probably wasn't RNA and discard everything else he says about the requirements needed for a replicator molecule to survive.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 07:47 am
real life wrote:

Laughing

Brandon's not talking about DNA. Neither is Shapiro. Read Brandon's post again if you don't see where you got lost.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:01 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Laughing

Brandon's not talking about DNA. Neither is Shapiro. Read Brandon's post again if you don't see where you got lost.

Brandon referred to a 'replicating molecule'.

DNA is the 'replicating molecule' upon which life on Earth is based.

If he wishes to describe another 'replicating molecule' that he has in mind (such as RNA) then I would add that RNA would fare no better in the open ocean than DNA.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:04 am
parados wrote:
From Shapiro...

Quote:
The small molecule approach to the origin of life makes several demands upon nature (a compartment, an external energy supply, a driver reaction coupled to that supply, and the existence of a chemical network that contains that reaction).

As usual, you are full of **** real life. You co-opt Shapiro's argument that the earliest replicator probably wasn't RNA and discard everything else he says about the requirements needed for a replicator molecule to survive.

Brandon wasn't in Shapiro's camp.

Brandon alluded to a 'replicator first' model of early life, out in the ocean.

Please try to keep up, parados. We discussed this issue of yours yesterday and I won't continue to give you gentle guidance.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:09 am
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

I've provided a link at least three times in this short thread, including at least one post that you responded to and quoted.

You provided a link and as usual you were told you were misrepresenting the argument made by Shapiro.

You ignore it when others point out where Shapiro doesn't agree with you and repeat your argument as if it has merit, which it doesn't. Your argument will never have merit because you base it on lies about what others said.

I never said that I agree with Shapiro on all points or that he agrees with me on all points.

We share some points of agreement, and disagree on many others.

If you think I've misrepresented Shapiro's position then you'd better be able to specifically cite what I said in context and make your case. (Hint: dont waste your time, you can't)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:13 am
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Laughing

DNA is the 'replicating molecule' upon which life on Earth is based.

If he wishes to describe another 'replicating molecule' that he has in mind (such as RNA) then I would add that RNA would fare no better in the open ocean than DNA.

Didn't you read Shapiro?

For fucks sake real life, how stupid are you?

From Shapiro..
Quote:
Systems of the type I have described usually have been classified under the heading "metabolism first," which implies that they do not contain a mechanism for heredity. In other words, they contain no obvious molecule or structure that allows the information stored in them (their heredity) to be duplicated and passed on to their descendants. However a collection of small items holds the same information as a list that describes the items. For example, my wife gives me a shopping list for the supermarket; the collection of grocery items that I return with contains the same information as the list. Doron Lancet has given the name "compositional genome" to heredity stored in small molecules,

Do you want to use Shapiro as your supporting source or not? So far you haven't agreed with a thing he said.

Shapiro proposes replication. You used Shapiro as your support. You claim replication can't happen except with DNA. Now you are just looking stupid.

To stop your next silly argument that several molecules is not the same thing as a single DNA molecule
Quote:
In living organisms, DNA does not usually exist as a single molecule

Your argument is not only bogus real life. It is becoming outlandish.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:16 am
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

I never said that I agree with Shapiro on all points or that he agrees with me on all points.

We share some points of agreement, and disagree on many others.

If you think I've misrepresented Shapiro's position then you'd better be able to specifically cite what I said in context and make your case. (Hint: dont waste your time, you can't)

You have NOT presented a single point you agree with him on other than you don't think life came from RNA. You disagree with everything else he says.
You said, points. So list one other point you agree with Shapiro on. An actual POINT, not just some peripheral statement like his use of adjectives.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:21 am
Let's start with this one real life..

real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
I don't see anything inherently improbable in the idea that in a world full of oceans, over billions of years, with molecules forming and disintegrating under various energy inputs, a self-replicating molecule could form eventually.

But award winning chemists, who have studied the problem for years, do.

Which "award winning chemist" do you think disagrees with Brandon?

From Shapiro's conclusion...
Quote:
The small-molecule alternative, however, is in harmony with the views of biologist Stuart Kauffman: "If this is all true, life is vastly more probable than we have supposed. Not only are we at home in the universe, but we are far more likely to share it with unknown companions."

So which "award winning chemists" were you referring to real life? It couldn't have been Shapiro since Shapiro thinks it is vastly MORE probable for life to have formed. You have stated that life requires self replicating molecules.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:29 am
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
From Shapiro...

Quote:

Brandon wasn't in Shapiro's camp.

Brandon alluded to a 'replicator first' model of early life, out in the ocean.

Please try to keep up, parados. We discussed this issue of yours yesterday and I won't continue to give you gentle guidance.

Bull ****.
Brandon said this

Quote:
I don't see anything inherently improbable in the idea that in a world full of oceans, over billions of years, with molecules forming and disintegrating under various energy inputs, a self-replicating molecule could form eventually.

No where does it say that the first life is restricted to the self replicating molecule. It only says that a self replicating molecule could eventually form. Shapiro holds the EXACT opinion. His self replicating molecules eventually lead to DNA. So a "self replicating molecule" eventually forms under Shapiro's argument just like Brandon's.

How nice of you to lie here as well real life. It seems to be the only thing you are capable of doing. You misrepresent and then lie about your misrepresentations.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:37 am
parados,

Don't waste my time any longer until you can read and understand what I and others have said.

You obviously don't understand my posts, neither did you understand Brandon's point, nor have you understood Shapiro's article.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:37 am
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

But award winning chemists, who have studied the problem for years, do.

.....Giving a testimonial ("he said it and he's smart") is not an argument. Reproduce a bit of their argument or stop referring to it. I am not surprised in the least that you attempt to argue science by listing smart people who agree with your thesis.......

Listing links to things other people said isn't an argument either. I can simply refer you to the public library (I won't do the reading for you) and claim that I've demonstrated that I'm right. It's nothing more than hiding the fact that you cannot defend your position. If you are claiming that the formation of a self-replicating particle is improbable, then make your own argument, even if you only summarize for us what your experts said. If you cannot defend your criticism of my scenario, then you have no business criticizing it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:39 am
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
As I understand it, the theory of evolution usually assumes that somehere a simple replicating molecule eventually formed by chance, and that the combined forces of natural selection and mutation began to cause the design to slowly improve and gain complexity, resulting eventually in life as observed today. Anyway, any scientific theory that's halfway plausible is superior to a magical theory.

Do you know what happens to DNA left out in the open? It degrades and is destroyed.

It doesn't keepa chuggin, gettin' better ever' day.

Who's talking about DNA left out in the open??? I'm not. I'm talking about a self-replicating molecule of unknown type, formed in the ocean, which developed over the eons into a single celled organism.......

ooooohhhhhhh

its left out in the ocean.....not the air.......

now that makes a lot of difference

Laughing

(oops almost forgot, great post Brandon) Laughing

Who said it was DNA? If you care to try to prove that no self-replicating molecule of any sort could survive in the ocean, then proceed.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:40 am
real life wrote:

He referred to a replicating molecule of unknown type. He was quite specific. His statement was consistent with Shapiro's article.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 08:52 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

He referred to a replicating molecule of unknown type. He was quite specific. His statement was consistent with Shapiro's article.

Yes, he was quite specific about giving no specifics. Laughing

Anybody could say:

'well you can't prove a negative, how can you say that a molecule of the specific kind that I am imagining (but won't tell anybody the details of because it's a secret) won't survive? of course it will because I have imagined it with all the properties necessary for it's survival !'

The fact is though that life on Earth utilizes DNA and RNA, (not some 'unknown type' that someone imagines MIGHTA, yeah COULDA existed at some unspecified point in time), so that is the reality we must deal with.

But don't claim for Brandon some kind of agreement with Shapiro.

Shapiros view does not include a replicator floating in the ocean and eventually building an organism around itself.

That is specifically the type of scenario Shapiro rejects.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 09:09 am
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Yes, he was quite specific about giving no specifics. Laughing

Brandon9000 wrote:

That looks pretty specific to me.

You chided Brandon that DNA could not survive "in the ocean", but Brandon never claimed DNA did. And then he even clarified his position, after which you switched to arguing about "in the ocean" instead of DNA. So you put words in his mouth (what a surprise). Then when cornered, you ran to a different argument. You bad boy.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 09:11 am
real life wrote:

What Shapiro really rejects is *poofism*. How are you going to deal with that?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 09:20 am
real life wrote:
parados,

Don't waste my time any longer until you can read and understand what I and others have said.

You obviously don't understand my posts, neither did you understand Brandon's point, nor have you understood Shapiro's article.

Brandon stated, and I quote..

Quote:
Who's talking about DNA left out in the open??? I'm not. I'm talking about a self-replicating molecule of unknown type

It seems it is YOU that can't read or understand what others have said. I think it is quite clear that Brandon wasn't talking about DNA. He didn't say DNA and when you proposed it was DNA, he denied it.

But spout your bull ****, it's what you do so well. When you going into your denial mode? We've already seen you change the subject once.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 09:21 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

What Shapiro really rejects is *poofism*. How are you going to deal with that?

I consider Shapiro an honest scientist and I respect his opinion, even though I disagree with it.
0 Replies