DNA Was Designed By A Mind

neologist

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 06:03 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
As I understand it, the theory of evolution usually assumes that somehere a simple replicating molecule eventually formed by chance, and that the combined forces of natural selection and mutation began to cause the design to slowly improve and gain complexity, resulting eventually in life as observed today. Anyway, any scientific theory that's halfway plausible is superior to a magical theory.
Interesting phrase: 'began to cause' . . .
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 06:05 pm
neologist wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
As I understand it, the theory of evolution usually assumes that somehere a simple replicating molecule eventually formed by chance, and that the combined forces of natural selection and mutation began to cause the design to slowly improve and gain complexity, resulting eventually in life as observed today. Anyway, any scientific theory that's halfway plausible is superior to a magical theory.

As usual, you guys are afraid to give an actual argument or engage in one. Substitute the phrase "caused" and stop debating irrelevant technicalities as a distraction. Do you have some actual, coherent objection to the typical explanation I just gave?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 06:11 pm
neologist wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Why, because it happens to sound like "causes to become"? What are you suggesting exactly?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 06:16 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

As usual, you guys are afraid to give an actual argument or engage in one. Substitute the phrase "caused" and stop debating irrelevant technicalities as a distraction. Do you have some actual, coherent objection to the typical explanation I just gave?

Neo is in LOVE with the phrase "causes to become" because someone told him that's the translation of Yehwah (or however that's spelled). Now any time ANYTHING happens, Neo can profoundly allude to it being an act of God.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 06:19 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

No.

Just stirring the pot.

I am as well aware of the logical insufficiencies of the design argument as I am of the shortfalls in the evolution approach.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 06:20 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Why, because it happens to sound like "causes to become"? What are you suggesting exactly?
Hadn't thought of that. Might have sooner or later, though.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 06:25 pm
neologist wrote:
I am as well aware of the logical insufficiencies of the design argument as I am of the shortfalls in the evolution approach.

There's a big difference between a "shortfall" and something we just don't know yet.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 06:29 pm
Hey, I'm just a catcalling spectator here. I don't expect to prove anything. I just want to see who I can rile up. :wink:
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 06:31 pm
neologist wrote:
Hey, I'm just a catcalling spectator here. I don't expect to prove anything. I just want to see who I can rile up. :wink:

No problem.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 07:52 pm
DNA is designed by a mind? And you probably hold that the mind is a reflection of a brain which is an expression of DNA (which is also designed by a mind)? Does circularity and infinite regression fit in here on purpose?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 07:55 pm
JLNobody wrote:
DNA is designed by a mind? And you probably hold that the mind is a reflection of a brain which is an expression of DNA (which is also made by a mind)? Does circularity and infinite regression fit in here on purpose?

He thinks of a god as a white haired old man, doing feats of magic.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 08:38 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
He thinks of a god as a white haired old man, doing feats of magic.

He has a beard too. Don't forget the beard.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 10:23 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
I don't see anything inherently improbable in the idea that in a world full of oceans, over billions of years, with molecules forming and disintegrating under various energy inputs, a self-replicating molecule could form eventually.

But award winning chemists, who have studied the problem for years, do.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 10:27 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

Do you know what happens to DNA left out in the open? It degrades and is destroyed.

It doesn't keepa chuggin, gettin' better ever' day.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 04:42 am
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
I don't see anything inherently improbable in the idea that in a world full of oceans, over billions of years, with molecules forming and disintegrating under various energy inputs, a self-replicating molecule could form eventually.

There are two things that must be said here:

1. Giving a testimonial ("he said it and he's smart") is not an argument. Reproduce a bit of their argument or stop referring to it. I am not surprised in the least that you attempt to argue science by listing smart people who agree with your thesis.

2. If the theory of evolution is, according to you, flawed, because one step seems improbable, then you certainly dare not advance magical creation by a supernatural creature as an alternative. It is bizarre to criticize a scientific theory on the grounds that one step seems questionable, and then state that a magical theory, advanced with the lowest imaginable standards of evidence and deduction is preferrable. I dare you to give an argument in favor of Creation that satisfies the standards of logic and documentation you hold evolution to.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 04:48 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

1. Giving a testimonial ("he said it and he's smart") is not an argument. Reproduce a bit of their argument or stop referring to it. I am not surprised in the least that you attempt to argue science by listing smart people who agree with your thesis.

2. If the theory of evolution is, according to you, flawed, because one step seems improbable, then you certainly dare not advance magical creation by a supernatural creature as an alternative. It is bizarre to criticize a scientific theory on the grounds that one step seems questionable, and then state that a magical theory, advanced with the lowest imaginable standards of evidence and deduction is preferrable. I dare you to give an argument in favor of Creation that satisfies the standards of logic and documentation you hold evolution to.

Great post, Brandon.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 04:49 am
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Do you know what happens to DNA left out in the open? It degrades and is destroyed.

Who's talking about DNA left out in the open??? I'm not. I'm talking about a self-replicating molecule of unknown type, formed in the ocean, which developed over the eons into a single celled organism? Are you now denying the existence of microscopic life in the ocean? You seem to have incredibly low standards of scientific argument. First you misstate my opinion arbitrarily and then you don't even cite a source of evidence for your contention.

Also, it must be said, that you cannot criticize a scientific theory on the grounds that you think it isn't sufficiently demonstrated and turn around and substitute the theory that "a magic guy did it." Whatever standard of logic and documentation the theory of evolution meets, the "a magic guy did it" theory is immensely lower.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 04:49 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Great post, Brandon.

Thanks.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 07:28 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

.....Giving a testimonial ("he said it and he's smart") is not an argument. Reproduce a bit of their argument or stop referring to it. I am not surprised in the least that you attempt to argue science by listing smart people who agree with your thesis.......

I've provided a link at least three times in this short thread, including at least one post that you responded to and quoted.

I can't do the reading for you.

(yeah great post Brandon) Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 07:33 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Who's talking about DNA left out in the open??? I'm not. I'm talking about a self-replicating molecule of unknown type, formed in the ocean, which developed over the eons into a single celled organism.......

ooooohhhhhhh

its left out in the ocean.....not the air.......

now that makes a lot of difference

DNA left in the ocean would surely build itself into a critter right quick

Laughing

do you seriously propose that DNA would not degrade in the ocean?

(oops almost forgot, great post Brandon) Laughing
0 Replies