DNA Was Designed By A Mind

real life

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:21 am
parados wrote:
Who said it can only be one?

How many different times did life self generate, parados?

Is life still self generating today?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:47 am
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
By the way, no one said that there is geological evidence of the environmental conditions of our planet at the time that life arose. This is just another of your strawman arguments, this is just another red herring.

I guess that the presence (or non-presence) of oxygen is not an environmental condition then.

And I guess that citing arguments involving volcanoes, red beds and diamonds are not intended to be geological evidence.

btw you keep complaining about not having access to the context of Dr. Lozcano's remarks, but Pauligirl posted a link.

This is more of your typical bullshit--i've not said that the relative presence or absence of free oxygen is not an environmental condition. Once again, confronted with your red herring, you attempt another diversion, with another strawman or another red herring.

I have consistently pointed out that whether or not there were ambient oxygen in the environment is a non sequitur, because no one here has said that DNA assembled itself in the ambient environment.

Your tripe is meaningless, and you are just trying to divert attention from you utter failure to provide even inferential evidence that DNA was "designed" by a mind.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:17 am
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
Who said it can only be one?

How many different times did life self generate, parados?
More of your silly arguments. Your question is premised on if I can't give you a number then it didn't occur.

How many times did you take a breath yesterday?

Or more importantly - How many times did you actually have an intelligent thought?

Quote:

Is life still self generating today?

It might well be. The earth is still a rather large place and we are unable to view and categorize every molecule on/in it every second of every day. As our ability to observe and record the smallest reactions gets better we may find that life generates quite often.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 05:33 pm
Information on geological and atmospheric conditions prior to the formation of the first cells.

Geologic evidence of cellular life occurs around 3.5bya in Pre-Cambrian stromatolites in the Siyeh Formation, Glacier National Park. In 2002, William Schopf of UCLA published a paper in the scientific journal Nature arguing that geological formations such as this possess 3.5 billion year old fossilized algae microbes.

This leaves approximately 1 billion years between the earliest physical evidence of rocks/water and the earliest physical evidence of cellular life.

During this period of time, some natural process occurred which evolved inorganic chemical processes into organic replicative cells.

Since we have some geological evidence (zircons) of environmental conditions of our planet at the time of the emergence of living systems (see link at top), it's clear that Antonio Lazcano quote that "No geological evidence of the environmental conditions of our planet at the time of the emergence of living systems exists..." is not accurate.

This however is not surprising given the context of his original quote, which wasn't focused on that. Antonio simply wasn't trying to use a scientific level of precision when writing an introduction to a book.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 05:47 pm
I don't blame him.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:00 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Information on geological and atmospheric conditions prior to the formation of the first cells.

Geologic evidence of cellular life occurs around 3.5bya in Pre-Cambrian stromatolites in the Siyeh Formation, Glacier National Park. In 2002, William Schopf of UCLA published a paper in the scientific journal Nature arguing that geological formations such as this possess 3.5 billion year old fossilized algae microbes.

This leaves approximately 1 billion years between the earliest physical evidence of rocks/water and the earliest physical evidence of cellular life.

During this period of time, some natural process occurred which evolved inorganic chemical processes into organic replicative cells.

Since we have some geological evidence (zircons) of environmental conditions of our planet at the time of the emergence of living systems (see link at top), it's clear that Antonio Lazcano quote that "No geological evidence of the environmental conditions of our planet at the time of the emergence of living systems exists..." is not accurate.

This however is not surprising given the context of his original quote, which wasn't focused on that. Antonio simply wasn't trying to use a scientific level of precision when writing an introduction to a book.

If you were Lyn Margulis, would you have allowed a scientifically fallacious statement to inhabit the Foreword to your book?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 06:21 am
real life wrote:
If you were Lyn Margulis, would you have allowed a scientifically fallacious statement to inhabit the Foreword to your book?

Given the context in which it was used, yes.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 07:59 am
Putting yourself in Margulis' place for a moment, what purpose would it serve to allow a well known scientist make a false statement in the Foreword to your book, ros?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 08:05 am
real life wrote:
Putting yourself in Margulis' place for a moment, what purpose would it serve to allow a well known scientist make a false statement in the Foreword to your book, ros?

I don't know. You'll have to ask her.

Maybe she was more concerned with the overall context rather than the precision of a portion of a sentence.

But the point of all this is that we do have a certain amount of information on the environment of the earth prior to the advent of cells. Granted there isn't a whole lot of information, but there is some.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 08:12 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

I don't know. You'll have to ask her.

Maybe she was more concerned with the overall context rather than the precision of a portion of a sentence.

But the point of all this is that we do have a certain amount of information on the environment of the earth prior to the advent of cells. Granted there isn't a whole lot of information, but there is some.

I'm not asking her I'm asking you, because you said you would allow it.

My question is since you would allow it, what purpose would it serve when you did so?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 08:22 am
real life wrote:
I'm not asking her I'm asking you, because you said you would allow it.

My question is since you would allow it, what purpose would it serve when you did so?

If it was me? I would probably be more interested in having someone interesting write the intro to my book, rather than nitpicking every sentence he wrote. I'm sure I would review the intro for basic accuracy, but I don't think I would object because he said "no evidence" instead of "not much evidence". That's such a small detain I probably wouldn't bother the guy with it. Especially since the basic gist of his intro was valid.

Why are we on this tangent again? Your original point was intended to claim that there was NO evidence for environmental conditions prior to the advent of cells, and this little snip of a sentence was your only backing. But now we see that the little snip isn't quite accurate and that the original author wasn't even trying to argue your point.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 08:24 am
Do you think Dr Lozcano knowingly made a false statement, or that he is just sloppy when discussing the subject that is his life's work?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 08:29 am
real life wrote:
Do you think Dr Lozcano knowingly made a false statement, or that he is just sloppy when discussing the subject that is his life's work?

Do you think that if we asked Dr. Lozcano himself, that he would support my viewpoint on this subject or yours?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 08:41 am
I think he would stand by his statement and tell you it is accurate.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:05 am
So is he sloppy, or intentionally dishonest?
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 11:21 am
Who knows? Who cares? The evidence exists. He was wrong. Move on.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 11:40 am
real life wrote:
So is he sloppy, or intentionally dishonest?

He is a biologist commenting on geological evidence. It isn't his field of expertise and some of the evidence presented here contrary to his statement was published about the same time as the book that containing his forward was published.

I think it is pretty obvious why a biologist might not be up on current geology or worry about how current he is when writing a forward to a book that doesn't deal with geology
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 11:41 am
And if you're going to rely on him, real life, you might at least try to get his name right. It's Lazcano, not Lozcano. Sheesh. Does this mean you're sloppy? or intellectually dishonest?
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 11:47 am
And I realize real life never presents any evidence to support his views, but merely keeps trying, with no particular luck, to poke holes in the science, but for those who might actuially like a few facts about the evidence on early life, wikipedia has a good overviewa;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prebiotic_evolution
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 12:56 pm
username wrote:
And if you're going to rely on him, real life, you might at least try to get his name right. It's Lazcano, not Lozcano. Sheesh. Does this mean you're sloppy? or intellectually dishonest?

Yes, I was sloppy. Another poster spelled it 'Lozcano' and I followed his lead without double checking the spelling. My bad. Embarrassed
0 Replies