DNA Was Designed By A Mind

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 11:32 am
real life wrote:

And I never said he agreed with me on each and every point, nor that I agreed with him on every point.

It's hard to believe that your comprehension could be so poor.

Shapiro certainly is adamant about stating that NO rna molecule nor rna substitute could've developed in the open environment.

Can you honestly admit that?

dna certainly could not.

Can you honestly admit that ?

So.. real life.. Could you point out where you think Shapiro said it "could not" have happened.

Shapiro says this..
Quote:
No physical law need be broken for spontaneous RNA formation to happen, but the chances against it are so immense
Quote:
With similar considerations in mind Gerald F. Joyce of the Scripps Research Institute and Leslie Orgel of the Salk Institute concluded that the spontaneous appearance of RNA chains on the lifeless Earth "would have been a near miracle."
Quote:
The sudden appearance of a large self-copying molecule such as RNA was exceedingly improbable.

Nowhere does Shapiro say it "could not have happened."

The one point you are arguing that you agree with Shapiro on is one Shapiro never made.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 11:34 am
I have faith in you real life.

You will continue to lie and be dishonest when given the chance. I bet even your God has that faith in you at this point.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 11:34 am
rosborne979 wrote:
This thread is so much fun. Smile

I'm enjoying it for sure.

Abiogenesis is one of the biggest frauds around.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 11:36 am
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

But still not as big a fraud as you are real life.

So, what do you agree with Shapiro on? We already know you don't think that RNA could happen even though Shapiro doesn't dismiss it completely.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 11:40 am
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

And I never said he agreed with me on each and every point, nor that I agreed with him on every point.

Shapiro certainly is adamant about stating that NO rna molecule nor rna substitute could've developed in the open environment.

dna certainly could not.

So.. real life.. Could you point out where you think Shapiro said it "could not" have happened.

Shapiro says this..
Quote:
No physical law need be broken for spontaneous RNA formation to happen, but the chances against it are so immense
Quote:
With similar considerations in mind Gerald F. Joyce of the Scripps Research Institute and Leslie Orgel of the Salk Institute concluded that the spontaneous appearance of RNA chains on the lifeless Earth "would have been a near miracle."
Quote:
The sudden appearance of a large self-copying molecule such as RNA was exceedingly improbable.

Nowhere does Shapiro say it "could not have happened."

The one point you are arguing that you agree with Shapiro on is one Shapiro never made.

I guess I understood his reference to the 'lethal defect' in the rna world hypothesis coupled with his nonbelief in miracles ( he quotes approvingly of the need to 'reject improbabilities') to be fairly conclusive.

But have it your way. There COULDA been a miracle, you're right.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:21 pm
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
You don't want to even to begin discussing dna, Set.

I know you don't, because you've avoided discussing the topic of the thread consistently.

I'm content to show that it didn't happen by chance, Set.

You haven't shown any such thing. If you say that you have, it makes you a liar.
You sound like a broken record.

You can't reasonably discuss the origin of dna, so you simply say 'liar, liar, liar'

You're really getting pitiful.

DNA could not have originated in the open environment, even as a successor to earlier replicators.

So where do you think that it 'evolved' ? In an already living organism?

Shapiro has advanced some significant objections regarding the concentration and availability of the needed components of rna, before you even get to dna.

But you'll honestly face none of these issues. All you can due is deny, deny, deny.

Go ahead clap your hands over your ears and sing la la lala la la lala

I have repeatedly pointed out that Shapiro does not at any time support your claim that (as you have most recently articulated it), ". . . it didn't happen by chance."

dna certainly could not.

What possible difference does that make?

Shocked
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:27 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:28 pm
I thought I just said that.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:55 pm
real life wrote:

I guess I understood his reference to the 'lethal defect' in the rna world hypothesis coupled with his nonbelief in miracles ( he quotes approvingly of the need to 'reject improbabilities') to be fairly conclusive.

Really? You understood it? LOL.. yeah.. I guess you agree with what you "understood". You just don't agree with Shapiro.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:58 pm
farmerman wrote:
rl
Quote:
Do you or do you not agree with Shapiro that the 'rna world' hypothesis is implausible?

I dont make believe that Ive got the same level of involvement as Dr Shapiro, so his opinions are valid, (As are equally counter arguments by Craig Venter, Niles Eldredge etc). As you conveniently miscast what Shapiro said , you fail to mention that his
"Improbability of an RNA world" is based upon a somewhat convincing argument that life originated with much simpler molecules, and evolved into the xNA family of products. I can live with either outcome, what about you? does a simpler chemical world satisfy your intellectual curiosity?

Beats the "Big guy in the sky" alternative (from which not even a hypothesis , testable under present science, can be formulated)

Shapiro's small molecules scenario has serious gaps:

How do organisms with no replicative molecule replicate?

And if they did successfully replicate when 'physical forces split them' what was the imperative to develop rna or a replicator of any kind?

What would the 'survival advantage' be vs. the extreme amount of resources needed within a limited space to develop such a massive molecule?

The same problem with trying to develop rna in the environment ( the missing concentration of needed components) is greatly magnified when (instead of the whole ocean to work with) you only have a microscopic drop encased in a lipid membrane.

The major gap: there is no evidence of any living organism that EVER actually had a self replicating molecule other than rna/dna as its basis. NONE.

Science would have a great deal more credibility if these kind of issues were openly and honestly discussed.

But they are generally avoided like the plague and whispered about behind closed doors.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:59 pm
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

Really? You understood it? LOL.. yeah.. I guess you agree with what you "understood". You just don't agree with Shapiro.

So what do you think he means when he cites others that urge us to 'reject improbabilities' ?

Robert Shapiro, Professor Emeritus and Senior Research Scientist in the Department of Chemistry at New York University wrote:
Nobel Laureate Christian de Duve has called for "a rejection of improbabilities so incommensurably high that they can only be called miracles, phenomena that fall outside the scope of scientific inquiry." DNA, RNA, proteins and other elaborate large molecules must then be set aside as participants in the origin of life.

Seems like you've taken the opposite approach.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:11 pm
real life wrote:

You provide your own answer below. You just don't want to accept it in spite of evidence.
Quote:

And if they did successfully replicate when 'physical forces split them' what was the imperative to develop rna or a replicator of any kind?
Who says there is an "imperative"? Other than you? Evolution isn't driven by "imperatives".
Quote:

What would the 'survival advantage' be vs. the extreme amount of resources needed within a limited space to develop such a massive molecule?
limited space? What limited space? Are you saying that single cell organisms are incapable of containing the "massive" molecule of DNA? SO much for your wanting evidence.
Quote:

The same problem with trying to develop rna in the environment ( the missing concentration of needed components) is greatly magnified when (instead of the whole ocean to work with) you only have a microscopic drop encased in a lipid membrane.
Until you consider the fact that a microorganism creates urea and if it isn't excreted it would build up. A build up of urea would create a concentration of urea. A concentration of urea is required for what? Oh.. that's right. It's science that you think has no evidence.
Quote:

The major gap: there is no evidence of any living organism that EVER actually had a self replicating molecule other than rna/dna as its basis. NONE.
You never did answer Set's question about prions. Are they living or not?
Quote:

Science would have a great deal more credibility if these kind of issues were openly and honestly discussed.
Really? I think it is you that lacks the credibility because you won't openly or honestly discuss topics. You lie about what Shapiro said. You claim to agree with Shapiro but he never said the things you claim to agree on.
Quote:

But they are generally avoided like the plague and whispered about behind closed doors.

Let's get them in the open then real life.
Provide the chemical evidence from Shapiro that you actually agree with.
Provide the evidence of black holes not existing or the evidence of how they act under the "physical laws" you want to judge the singularity by.

The problem lies not with science real life. Science is happy to discuss the issues you claim they don't. The problem is that you are more than happy to misuse science at every opportunity.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:23 pm
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

Until you consider the fact that a microorganism creates urea and if it isn't excreted it would build up. A build up of urea would create a concentration of urea. A concentration of urea is required for what? Oh.. that's right. It's science that you think has no evidence.

I think you misread Shapiro's explanation. Here it is again.

Quote:
I will cite one example of prebiotic synthesis, published in 1995 by Nature and featured in the New York Times. The RNA base cytosine was prepared in high yield by heating two purified chemicals in a sealed glass tube at 100 degrees Celsius for about a day. One of the reagents, cyanoacetaldehyde, is a reactive substance capable of combining with a number of common chemicals that may have been present on the early Earth. These competitors were excluded. An extremely high concentration was needed to coax the other participant, urea, to react at a sufficient rate for the reaction to succeed. The product, cytosine, can self-destruct by simple reaction with water. When the urea concentration was lowered, or the reaction allowed to continue too long, any cytosine that was produced was subsequently destroyed. This destructive reaction had been discovered in my laboratory, as part of my continuing research on environmental damage to DNA. Our own cells deal with it by maintaining a suite of enzymes that specialize in DNA repair.

The exceptionally high urea concentration was rationalized in the Nature paper by invoking a vision of drying lagoons on the early Earth. In a published rebuttal, I calculated that a large lagoon would have to be evaporated to the size of a puddle, without loss of its contents, to achieve that concentration. No such feature exists on Earth today.

No such feature would exist within a microscopic lipid membrane either.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:48 pm
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

You never did answer Set's question about prions.

Actually I did.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:52 pm
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

Who says there is an "imperative"? Other than you? Evolution isn't driven by "imperatives".

Evolving a huge molecule such as a replicator would be very 'expensive' in terms of resources for a small organism.

If the critter is already successfully replicating, what would the 'survival advantage' be vs. the extreme amount of resources needed within a limited space to develop such a massive molecule?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:55 pm
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

You provide your own answer below. You just don't want to accept it in spite of evidence.

Evidence that 'physical forces splitting a microorganism' can successfully and repeatedly achieve replication of that organism?

I've seen no such evidence and neither has anyone else.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 02:01 pm
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

So what do you think he means when he cites others that urge us to 'reject improbabilities' ?

Robert Shapiro, Professor Emeritus and Senior Research Scientist in the Department of Chemistry at New York University wrote:
Nobel Laureate Christian de Duve has called for "a rejection of improbabilities so incommensurably high that they can only be called miracles, phenomena that fall outside the scope of scientific inquiry." DNA, RNA, proteins and other elaborate large molecules must then be set aside as participants in the origin of life.

Not at all. RNA is created in a container. Whether the container it is in is considered life or not is irrelevant in the discussion of how RNA came about. Shapiro only says it is improbable for the container to have been dead prior to RNA forming. He does not argue that RNA could not form at all. Nor does he argue that life couldn't come from chemicals. He only disagrees in the the necessary elements prior to it appearing. Your argument that RNA can't come about at all is not what Shapiro says. It isn't even close to what he says. It is the opposite of what he says.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 02:04 pm
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

I bet you are. You've got 'em playing your game. That's always fun. Smile

real life wrote:

But not the biggest one, right? You old fraud you. Wink
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 02:19 pm
parados wrote:
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

Not at all. RNA is created in a container. Whether the container it is in is considered life or not is irrelevant in the discussion of how RNA came about. Shapiro only says it is improbable for the container to have been dead prior to RNA forming.

What he says is that he rejects the improbable 'rna world' scenario.

"In the very beginning, you couldn't have genetic material that could copy itself unless you had chemists back then doing it for you," Shapiro told LiveScience.

from http://www.livescience.com/animals/060609_life_origin.html

I'm pretty sure he's not saying it COULDA happened. Laughing
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 02:23 pm
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

Evolving a huge molecule such as a replicator would be very 'expensive' in terms of resources for a small organism.
Based on what? What are your assumptions on the resources? What are you assumptions on the energy source? If evolving a huge molecule would be "expensive" for a small organism then how can a small organism have DNA? Isn't it too expensive in resources? Your argument lacks sense based on what is presently found in microorganisms. Organisms often have more resources available to them than they can ever use.

Quote:

If the critter is already successfully replicating, what would the 'survival advantage' be vs. the extreme amount of resources needed within a limited space to develop such a massive molecule?
What extreme amount of resources? The energy required for a microorganism is not large compared to the energy sources used by present microorganisms. Microorganisms don't begin to stress the sun's energy. They don't use all the energy of vulcanism when they are found there. They don't use all the energy of any energy source that I can think of. Resources? What resources are limited? If life forms on clay, there is no way that life could use all the resources available to it since the clay compared to the microorganism is almost infinite. Carbon is certainly not severely limited in supply on the earth. Nor is hydrogen or oxygen. The only thing an organism requires is that available resources are replenished in some way. Something that is quite common on the earth. Water flows and moves chemical from one spot to another. Life as we know it wouldn't exist without the movement of chemicals on the earth. Water percolates through the earth while leaching out chemicals. All that is required is that the chemicals be delivered to the organism in a manner that makes it available without destroying the organism. (Osmosis might be something you want to investigate.)

Your argument that a microorganism has limited resources is completely false.
0 Replies