DNA Was Designed By A Mind

rosborne979

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 12:50 pm
Setanta wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Once a VN machine were created, the cost of creating more of them would obviously be minimal. Something similar to making more cockroaches; simply give them raw materials and let them do their thing.

and . . .

Quote:
As technology becomes more complex and more valuable to maintaining our civilization it's economically and functionally imperative that we build in redundancy and self correction.

You're missing completely the point that i am making...

VN machines are not a basis upon which to support the alleged paradox articulated by Fermi.

And you seem to be missing the points I'm making.

I guess we will continue to disagree in this area.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 01:08 pm
I am well aware that I am pig ignorant of all these matters but I have been living under the impression that American philosophy has been focussed almost, if not entirely, on the identification of truth with beneficial social consequences.

So much so that William James wrote-

Quote:
An idea is 'true' so long as to believe it is profitable to our lives.

and

Quote:
...the true is only the expedient in the way of our thinking...in the long run and on the whole of the course.

and

Quote:
...our obligation to seek truth is part of our general obligation to do what pays.

and

Quote:
We cannot reject any hypothesis if consequences useful to life flow from it.

For Nietzsche 'useful' appertains to the individual and for John Dewey to the community. Dewey's concept of "warrantable assertability" is truth if it has beneficial effects on the community and Nietzsche's truth is when it is beneficial to the individual. Which is probably why the latter went off his head when, I presume, as it is obvious, he must have accused himself of cowardice for not engaging in true acts beneficial to himself, stealing, rape etc, out of fear of the law.

Maybe rl's "truth" is closer to Dewey and that of his opponents closer to Nietzsche.

Russell says about these things-

Quote:
It is this element of social power that seems to me to make the philosophy of instrumentalism attractive to those who are more impressed by our new control over natural forces than by the limitations to which that control is still subject.

By which he means determined facts from the past which are felt to be un-American in the sense that they are in opposition to a hopefulness engendered by machine production and the scientific manipulation of the physical environment.

Professor Gray's position, like mine, is profoundly different but I don't think either side here are quite ready to look into it.

The question of the warranted assertion applies to the community and the unwarranted assertion applies to rowing your boat ashore.

Leaving Professor Gray out of it the social consequences argument is the only game in play for serious people as I have been saying for three years in another place. The rest is pure bullshit. Bubblings from the ego.

I assume that the ubiquity of the assertion is due to a misunderstanding of Dewey's philosophy which I'm told has been a large influence on American education. In praising the warranted assertion he ran the risk of half-baked experts thinking he gave succour to any old assertion as egotistical people coudn't get their heads around the interests of the community due to their own interests looming so large in their self-validating world views.

To get the warrant there's a need to debate the consequences and not just assert that American science will go off the cliff if certain theories are downplayed.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 01:24 pm
And what's the big deal about this Shapiro chappie? Had his Mom shifted her hips a little less carelessly at the crucial moment he wouldn't be here among us.

It could even be, stretching the imagination a little, as scientists do, that had Venus been in conjunction with Uranus at the time another one of his 200 million* little brothers and sisters (assuming Pop was normal I mean) might have made it up the killing field ahead of him or knocked on the door more insistently.

Anybody fancy proving that hypothesis scientifically false.

How about ros. He hates astrology I gather.

*Actually, to be precise, it's only 100 million. The other 100 million have another function but we find it better to believe in the 200 million figure for reasons too obvious to bear repeating.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 01:36 pm
It could have depended how the bottle was shaken or stirred if he started out in an IVF clinic. Or in the pub.

Or if it was an important anniversary or if his team had won the game.

I could probably think of circumstances which would have led to Mr Shapiro's non-appearance in this weary world of woe all night long and well into next week.

So there is a bit of reality about your Oracle.

You would soon find somebody else though wouldn't you. Poor old Shapiro. All that dedicated study, though not of English, over years of furrowed brows and he ends up as a net in a tennis match between a bunch of amateurs.

Stick your head over the parapet Shappie and that's what you get. And you coulda bin workin' on a safe fag or delicious grub that goes straight through leaving the diner famished and her trim figure intact.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:39 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Once a VN machine were created, the cost of creating more of them would obviously be minimal. Something similar to making more cockroaches; simply give them raw materials and let them do their thing.

and . . .

Quote:
As technology becomes more complex and more valuable to maintaining our civilization it's economically and functionally imperative that we build in redundancy and self correction.

You're missing completely the point that i am making...

VN machines are not a basis upon which to support the alleged paradox articulated by Fermi.

And you seem to be missing the points I'm making.

I guess we will continue to disagree in this area.

Perhaps you could elaborate, then. Fermi just basically asked "where is everybody." This has been elaborated since he asked the question, about 1951, i believe, with people attempting to refine what was assumed to have been Fermi's too high order probability of space faring civilization (see the Drake equation), and people refining the definition of the paradox, which was actually just a remark in a lunch-time conversation with Teller and a few others.

Leaving aside whether or not the Drake equation is too optimistic, many pessimists have claimed that the Fermi paradox can be taken as a kind of proof that there are no other technological civilizations, that we are "alone." People then suggest that there might be technological civilizations but that knowing the costs of interstellar colonization to be too high to sustain, and of little practical value, have sent out VN machines to explore the cosmos. The pessimists then return with a response that if VN machines had been sent out, they would have proliferated so much that we would have known they are there. I assumed from your remark about how many VN machines there soon would be, that you were in that camp. Certainly, i don't want to pigeon-hole you if i was wrong in that assumption.

I continue to be of the opinion that if VN machines had been dispatched by one or more civilizations, there is no good reason to assume that we would know it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:17 pm
There is a good chance they would have missed us bearing in mind that the area of a sphere with a radius measured in double-digit light years at best is rather a large one.

We are well hidden.

It almost sounded, Settin', that you were at the lunch-time meeting with Mr Teller and playing down your presence self-effacingly.

But positing another civilisation posits, equally logically, that there are an infinite number of them and then it would be surprising VN machines were not landing all over the place to such an extent that we are forced to live underground.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 06:38 pm
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
Now someone can "mention" something without "naming" it

'without naming it' means it wasn't named.

and if it wasn't named, then one shouldn't say it was.
I guess Shapiro didn't call it "Bob" so that might make you correct. Shapiro did however say
Quote:
Variations have been proposed in which the bases, the sugar or the entire backbone of RNA have been replaced by simpler substances, more accessible to prebiotic syntheses. Presumably, this first replicator would also have the catalytic capabilities of RNA.
Looks to me like he named it.

dictionary definition of name
Quote:
19. to speak of.

Shapiro spoke of a "first replicator" so he named it.

real life wrote:

parados wrote:
and someone can refer to mentioned substitutes without being "specific."

'without being specific' means it wasn't specific.

and if it wasn't specific, then one shouldn't say it was.

dictionary definition of specific
Quote:
4. of a special or particular kind.
They are specific because they are of the kind that Shapiro mentioned. You would have to argue that Shapiro never mentioned them to make then NOT specific.
Quote:

parados wrote:
Your abuse of the English language is really quite funny real life.

perhaps if I was convinced you actually understood English I would take your point seriously. (see above)
parados wrote:
Everyone understood Shapiro and Set except you.

I understood Set. And told him he was incorrect.
You ignored the dictionary to do so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:06 pm
I wonder if "real life" withdraws from these threads until his headaches and visions go away?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:24 pm
parados wrote:
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
Now someone can "mention" something without "naming" it

'without naming it' means it wasn't named.

and if it wasn't named, then one shouldn't say it was.
I guess Shapiro didn't call it "Bob" so that might make you correct. Shapiro did however say
Quote:
Variations have been proposed in which the bases, the sugar or the entire backbone of RNA have been replaced by simpler substances, more accessible to prebiotic syntheses. Presumably, this first replicator would also have the catalytic capabilities of RNA.
Looks to me like he named it.

dictionary definition of name
Quote:
19. to speak of.

Shapiro spoke of a "first replicator" so he named it.

real life wrote:

parados wrote:
and someone can refer to mentioned substitutes without being "specific."

'without being specific' means it wasn't specific.

and if it wasn't specific, then one shouldn't say it was.

dictionary definition of specific
Quote:
4. of a special or particular kind.
They are specific because they are of the kind that Shapiro mentioned. You would have to argue that Shapiro never mentioned them to make then NOT specific.
Quote:

parados wrote:
Your abuse of the English language is really quite funny real life.

perhaps if I was convinced you actually understood English I would take your point seriously. (see above)
parados wrote:
Everyone understood Shapiro and Set except you.

I understood Set. And told him he was incorrect.
You ignored the dictionary to do so.

You're kind of confused, aren't you?

First you imply he didn't name it, but now you say he did.

First you imply he wasn't being specific, but now you say he was. Laughing
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 08:08 pm
Setanta wrote:
Perhaps you could elaborate, then.

Well, I feel like I'm repeating myself, but I'll try to sum it up.

First of all, I tend to include "The Great Silence" and the "Fermi Paradox" in the same package. To me it's really the same question, "why don't we observe any evidence of other intelligence in the Universe, either here or in our solar system or anywhere".

You seem unimpressed with the Fermi Paradox and the Great Silence as paradoxes, which means to me that you are NOT surprised by what we see (or don't see).

I on the other hand, do find it surprising.

Obviously, we have each made assumptions about the Universe and possible intelligence therein, which leads us to our expectations. You have argued against certain assumptions I have made, and I have argued against some assumptions you have made.

In one case, you objected to the likely development of VN machines based on economic feasibility. Your argument centered around the observation that it would be economically impractical to develop VN machines with the sole intent of having them do "colonization".

But I pointed out that there is no reason to expect that VN machines would be developed specifically for colonization, and that the precursors of VN type machines (self monitoring and self repairing) are already embedded as a core goal in systems design.

Based on current technological development and personal experience, self monitoring, self repairing and eventually self replicating systems are not only economically feasible but an economic imperative, regardless of their eventual use as "colonizers" or not. So the economic argument against development of VN machines is demonstrably false. These types of systems are already in the first stages of development, and we are already expending extraordinary resources to advance these types of systems.

I should also point out that it has not escaped my notice that the Universe YOU expect to see is the one we DO see. And the Universe I expect to see is NOT what we see. Clearly one or many of my assumptions must be incorrect. But by the same token, you might be correct for entirely different reasons that you have presented. We don't have enough data yet to evaluate the Drake equation.

You haven't yet presented an argument which I find really compelling. In many cases I feel that you are making too many assumptions of your own regarding the nature of "other technological life forms" (no offense).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 08:18 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
.....the precursors of VN type machines (self monitoring and self repairing) are already embedded as a core goal in systems design.
Without a doubt!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 08:24 pm
Chumly wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
.....the precursors of VN type machines (self monitoring and self repairing) are already embedded as a core goal in systems design.
Without a doubt!

One of the big problems I had maintaining the morale of my design teams at Oracle was convincing people that they weren't actively designing themselves right out of a job. Because essentially, they were.

The answer is to get everyone to view the loss of one level of work, as a push to the next level of work. As more and more of the low level errors in the system were handled autonomously, manpower was diverted to higher level problems. Ultimately, the highest level problem everyone will be working on will be redundant autonomous (and eventually) self replicating systems.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:03 pm
real life wrote:
[

You're kind of confused, aren't you?

First you imply he didn't name it, but now you say he did.
prove it
Quote:

First you imply he wasn't being specific, but now you say he was. Laughing
Provide the quote where I did any such thing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:42 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Perhaps you could elaborate, then.

Well, I feel like I'm repeating myself, but I'll try to sum it up.

First of all, I tend to include "The Great Silence" and the "Fermi Paradox" in the same package. To me it's really the same question, "why don't we observe any evidence of other intelligence in the Universe, either here or in our solar system or anywhere".

You seem unimpressed with the Fermi Paradox and the Great Silence as paradoxes, which means to me that you are NOT surprised by what we see (or don't see).

I on the other hand, do find it surprising.

Obviously, we have each made assumptions about the Universe and possible intelligence therein, which leads us to our expectations. You have argued against certain assumptions I have made, and I have argued against some assumptions you have made.

So far, so good (more or less).

Quote:
In one case, you objected to the likely development of VN machines based on economic feasibility. Your argument centered around the observation that it would be economically impractical to develop VN machines with the sole intent of having them do "colonization".

That is not at all what i wrote. You had said that over a certain period of time, there would thousands, or millions of VN machines in operation. Leaving aside that such a circumstance would still not imply that we would know if any had visited us, i objected on the basis that the initial creation of a VN machine program would undoubtedly be modest. (EDIT: I would like to note that i have only been referring to VN machines in the context of unmanned, exploratory probes sent out into the cosmos, and not in the sense of all systems resembling VN machines.) Unless you can dispose of huge amount of material and energy resources, you'd be obliged to send out just a few, which would only attempt to replicate themselves as they neared the end of their useful life. Otherwise, you'd have to send out many, many, many VN machines which could find the material resouces to replicate themselves before they reached the end of their useful lives, or you'd have to send out far fewer, which would nevertheless carry with them a substantial portion of the resources necessary to replicate themselves, including whatever portion of the original machine they could "cannibalize." I realize that i didn't go into that kind of detail originally, but i certainly at no time claimed that VN machines would be used in a colonizing effort. That's not what VN machines are about, in the sense in which i was referring to them.

Quote:
But I pointed out that there is no reason to expect that VN machines would be developed specifically for colonization, and that the precursors of VN type machines (self monitoring and self repairing) are already embedded as a core goal in systems design.

Based on current technological development and personal experience, self monitoring, self repairing and eventually self replicating systems are not only economically feasible but an economic imperative, regardless of their eventual use as "colonizers" or not. So the economic argument against development of VN machines is demonstrably false. These types of systems are already in the first stages of development, and we are already expending extraordinary resources to advance these types of systems.

None of what you are saying is news to me, except the claim that i have said that VN machines are not economically feasible, or that the purpose is colonizing efforts. The only reference i have made to VN machines is that they would be used to explore the galaxy. When i spoke of economic feasibility, i was referring to my conviction that no technological society is ever going to send out more than a few at once, and so i don't consider it plausible that the galaxy would be full of thousands, let alone millions of VN machines. I did not say or imply that it were not economically feasible to develop VN machines.

Quote:
I should also point out that it has not escaped my notice that the Universe YOU expect to see is the one we DO see. And the Universe I expect to see is NOT what we see. Clearly one or many of my assumptions must be incorrect. But by the same token, you might be correct for entirely different reasons that you have presented. We don't have enough data yet to evaluate the Drake equation.

You haven't yet presented an argument which I find really compelling. In many cases I feel that you are making too many assumptions of your own regarding the nature of "other technological life forms" (no offense).

No offense is taken. My objections rest primarily on a couple of assumptions implicit in the Fermi paradox as it is usually articulated contemporarily. One objection is that we indulge what is to me an hilarious hubris to think that we can have reasonably swept the galaxy to know if there is anyone else out there. Fermi's question, "Where are they?" suggests that the presence of other technological civilizations (i won't say space-faring, because we were not yet a space-faring civilization then, and what we have done to this time hardly qualifies as more than baby steps) ought to be easy to identify. I consider both that that is an unwarranted assumption, and that it is hubristic to suggest that we know enough about our neighborhood, our galaxy, to suggest that we have a handle on who and what is out there.

The other implicit assumption of many of those who articulate the Fermi paradox today is that it is reasonable to assume that other technological civilizations are going to burst forth from their home planets and colonize continuously. That assumption has a lot of implications which the proponents thereof seem unaware of. It assumes that any such civilization will have a command economy which can be turned to the enormous material and energy expenditures which would be necessary to put any significant number of colonists into interstellar space, safely, with a reasonable prospect of reaching a suitable planet and not simply surviving, but prospering once they got there. That implies a "world government." The only experience we have so far of a technological civilization (our own) doesn't suggest that world government is likely. It also suggests that the individual members of the civilization would not object to the sacrifices necessary to accomplish that end, and would not object to the fact that it would not benefit them in the least. One could argue that there would be an inherent benefit in technological advances resulting from the effort, but you would still have to cross the hurdle of convincing the population to go along. If you envision an ant-like culture in which individual members' sentiments are meaningless, then you'll have to account for how such a civilization would advance through the stages necessary to achieve space-faring. A command civilization which ignores the interests of individuals in favor of the collective would be highly unlikely to seek to advance beyond any stage which meets the collective's goals.

Mostly, i find that those who envision such a constantly colonizing civilization (and this is not intended to suggest that you think this way, because i don't know if you do) have a science fiction attitude. They seem to think that an advanced technology could answer all of my objections with breathtaking new discoveries which would appear magical to us. There are certain laws, however, which nature won't allow you to break. It cannot be denied that this sort of technology requires sophisticated metallurgy, or at least sophisticated ceramics (and without metallurgy, one will have increased the difficulty by orders of magnitude)--and that implies a planet with a significant gravitational field. You are going to be obliged, in the initial stages, to lift significant amounts of material out of the mother well of gravity, and you'll have to lift out everyone who is going on the journey. You're going to have to make provision for their continued physical health over a long period of time in zero gravity, and you're going to have to protect them from cosmic radiation. No amount of fancy new technology as science fiction writers imagine it is going to relieve you of the necessities of getting out of the mother gravity well, of dealing with long-term weightlessness and of dealing with cosmic radiation. The solution to each one of those problems increases the cost in materials and energy by enormous amounts.

All of which suggests to me that it is naive to assume that any technological civilization is going to be able to casual start out on a program of colonization and maintain the program over millennia. I acknowledge that i am making assumptions about other civilizations--but i find my assumptions far more plausible that the implicit assumption that other technological civilizations are going to be monolithic and monomaniacally focused when our experience of a technological civilization is that it improves and perfects itself precisely because of individualism and the predictable production of oddball, brilliant people in the deep end of the gene pool. The vision of a focused, ant-like collective which works tirelessly and uncomplaining toward a goal which will not benefit the individuals involved is completely antithetical to our experience of the development and progress of civilization.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 02:59 am
spendi slips away quietly.

If anyone wishes to believe he has headaches and visions they are perfectly free to do so.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 04:51 am
set, your exposition has been predicated on a major flaw. That is, like lord Kelvin so forcefully stated that "anything worth developing has been developed already". You can see that , for the most part, even the most brilliant minds of the mid 1800'adding had no concept of the wonders that quantum chemistry and physics would provide us, or the nuclear power, not to mention integrated circuitry and that new fangled adsding machine based on Jacquards loom.
In the process of social evolution we build upon the findings of our past and present, and the stepping out of our earth womb will be just a natural progression WHEN, we have developed many concepts on physics that allow us to " discover the loopholes of Special relativity"..

I am convinced that all interstellar travel will have to be based upon exploitation of "c" and or "dE/dt". The functional limits imposed by Special relativity seem to delimit all our potential travels and impart a sense of hopelessness at the task. Once the rules of physics are "shortcutted", then it will be possible to meander out 100 or more light years and be able to KEEP IN CONTACT. The real problems in intergalactic travel is speed, time, and communication with home base.

So, in effect, we are discussing something that, based on our own knowledge base, we are imparting rules that , for all we know, wont be bounding to us when we learn how to bend them.

Assuming that the universe is between 13 and 15 billion years old, the agglomeration of "livable" planetessimals (not to mention the act of abiogenesis) most all sentient beings are probably no more than a few million years apart in their tech development. Consequently, such "loopholes of physics" are either not quite developed, or they are being exsploited by only a few techy civilizations in the millions of galaxies that form our near field.

I believe that life will be persistent in its duration. As Andromeda crashes into the Milky WAy, all the folks in the Milky WAy will have been considering interstellar travel as a means of saving their collective asses.
As far as communication, I've revised my previous[opinion in that signals appear to be limiting in their propagation, and unless there are some actual phenomena that are instantaneous (like congas insistence that gravity is instantaneous), then we shall be

1governed by "c" and the fourth power rule, or

2 a new paradigm like "M"theory actually works. In that case, we will be able to "Bend" space time to act like a messenger board and a propagator of "worm holes" (I HATE THAT WORD BECAUSE< like a black hole or Jesus Christ, were not even sure they exist)

Reasonably advanced civilizations can expect to evolve and progress or else get wiped out by extraterrestrial events. These possibilities have a way of being self limiting in their technological pallette. My spin is based upon "keeping up" and give it a few hundred thousand years. If we are any measure of average tech development for a civilization, well we know that we can propagate communication signals to Struve 2398 in about 100000 years (assuming we can muster up a coherent signal that is strong enough to be detected on STruve 2398).

The whole point is that the physical constraints are awesome fore our civilization and , presumably, for others also. There may just be a very few civilizations hove busted the code of the Universe and are exploiting it like we exploit quantum theory for our chemical detectors.

Our sun will be getting unstable in about 1 billion years and will be approaching yellow gianthood in 5. We sort of have deadline with which to work backward from. (In science, nothing gets done without a series of imposed deadlines). I think we should be working on the theoretical physics NOW and without a distraction imposed by all these nutsy Fundamentalists and Luddites. I believe that, once we break the code, all things will be revealed and we will be able to zip around time space in relative comfort supplied by in flight entertainment.

The discussion of VN rigs leaves me a bit perplexed. AS far as I was able to learn (and I admit a huge lack of knowledge of these guys) Ive found that VN machines merely are able to reproduce and that limited by the natural resources to duplicate themselves, they have not been considered for long term travel. AM I wrong ros?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 05:08 am
Quote:
spendi slips away quietly.

If anyone wishes to believe he has headaches and visions they are perfectly free to do so.

Thats a hangover all right. We dont call em "visions" we call em DEE TEEs
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 12:28 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
No one has suggested that RNA or anything like it suddenly appeared. We have been talking about a much smaller and simpler first replicator.

Actually, chemists like Shapiro AREN'T looking for a 'first replicator' leading to life because they consider it akin to believing in miracles.

Shapiro hopes that he can show that simple self replicating molecules FOLLOWED the establishment of life, not preceded it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 12:43 pm
FM, i don't see what you are getting at as regards my alleged inability to see past the limitations of our current technology. It doesn't matter what technological advances we develop, we still need to get out of the mother gravity well, we still need to deal with long-term weightlessness and we still need to deal with cosmic radiation in interstellar space. Suggesting that new technologies will make that easier is plausible, but suggesting that new technologies will make those considerations negligible is not plausible--you will still have considerable expenditures of energy and materials to deal with it. People who suggest otherwise to me put me in mind of those who claim that perpetual motion machines are possible, or those who claim that new automobile technology is the "green" wave of the future while ignoring the huge amount of electricity most of them need.

VN machines, in the context to which i was referring, are exploratory machines sent out to survey the galaxy. I think Roswell and i came to a fundmental misunderstanding because he saw VN as the self-correcting, self-repairing, self-replicating technology itseld, no matter how it is used, and i was considering it only in terms of exploratory probes.

As for getting rid of the religious wack jobs (through marginalization, not murder, as tempting as that may be) and true luddites, i heartily concur . . . and then roll my eyes and say: "Yeah, right, good luck . . ."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 01:15 pm
Basically were trying to deal with a question that were unable to even fathom at present technology levels. When we (and others out there) do understand and learn the shortcuts, we will (IMHO) be inundated with communications and pods. 100000 light years is just our own galaxies dimensions. We could be waiting for thousands of years just for the first very weak "C" signal ( no matter what form.

Im now confused what a VN machine is about then. Is this some invention by a science fiction writer?
0 Replies