DNA Was Designed By A Mind

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 05:45 am
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Shapiro is saying that it were an extreme stroke of luck if RNA were formed. He is more specific than just a self-replicating molecule, he refers to RNA.

He doesn't ONLY refer to RNA:

Robert Shapiro wrote:
I would extend this conclusion to all of the proposed RNA substitutes that I mentioned above.

His explicit rejection of ALL 'replicator first' scenarios is the very reason that he brings his 'small molecules' theory forward.

Hello?

He refers to specific RNA "substitutes" which he has named. He also very specifically posits that small molecules in cells can lead to the large molecules which can become or are replicators. The point of what Shapiro is writing about is to envision a scenario in which organisms arise which have a replicating mechanism or replicator chemicals, and he discusses that as well.

Basically, you're engaged in quote mining, attempting to make out that Shapiro is saying that life could not have arisen spontaneously as a result of chemical interactions. Shapiro's requirement that RNA arise inside a living organism clearly implies that he believes that living organisms arose in which RNA could form. His sole objection is to large molecules with replicative ability existing independently of the protection of a cell. You want to warp what Shapiro says into a vindication of the idiotic general thesis which underlies the specific claim of this thread, to the effect that DNA had to have been "designed." The problem you have is that Shapiro is discussing living organisms which exist before DNA exists. That throws the thesis of the thread right out the window. So you want to expand it to claim that Shapiro supports a point of view that living organisms, prior to the existence of DNA, must have been designed.

But Shapiro very specifically envisions a mechanism by which small molecules can have formed living organisms within which RNA could have developed. He's not holding out for anything like your witless poofism.

HELLO ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 05:54 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Once a VN machine were created, the cost of creating more of them would obviously be minimal. Something similar to making more cockroaches; simply give them raw materials and let them do their thing.

and . . .

Quote:
As technology becomes more complex and more valuable to maintaining our civilization it's economically and functionally imperative that we build in redundancy and self correction.

You're missing completely the point that i am making. Upon what basis do you assert that anyone could convince politicians and the general population that VN machines intended to explore the cosmos are valuable to maintaining a civilization? That's the hurdle you'd have to cross with an expensive start up program, convincing society and those who administer societies institutions of the utility of the thing.

If there were literally millions of VN explorers whizzing about the galaxy, it might be plausible to say that they'd get noticed. But that would only be possible with a huge initial start up investment. It is far more likely that VN explorers would come in small numbers, and would only use the limited resources originally allocated for the purpose of self-replication in order to keep the mission going as each device "aged."

Quite apart from that, as regards the alleged paradox of Fermi, if a VN device visited this planet at any time before the last 60 or 70 years, it's very likely that we would not know it. Even as recently as 50 years ago, it's highly likely that it would go unnoticed. All the more so if another civilization's experiences had taught them that their VN machines needed to avoid direct contact in order to assure their survival.

VN machines are not a basis upon which to support the alleged paradox articulated by Fermi.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 05:54 am
Mr Life doesnt seem to realize that Shapiro is talking about a "fambly"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 05:56 am
Mr. Life would rather not think about such things.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 06:16 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Our own Roswell wrote:
I would also point out that even without Von Neumann machines, all it would take is one single technological civilization (with a healthy desire to reproduce and the inclination to colonize), to cover an entire galaxy within 10 million years (even without suprauminal drives).

This suffers from the same naivete as Fermi's original question.

No it doesn't.

All I stated is a fact related to travel times and sizes. I also stated that I was assuming a technological civilization with the desire to colonize.

You followed with a whole slew of assumptions which may not apply to alien civilizations. How do you know they don't have a religious imperative which drives them to colonize at any societal cost. Or a biological imperative. You don't.

A technological civilization with a desire to colonize is still going to be limited by factors which are unavoidable. To create a viable colony, you're going to need large numbers of people, to assure genetic variety, and to assure that sufficient survive the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune so that the colony can eventually prosper.

Large numbers of people going into interstellar space immediately face two problems which cannot be ignored--weightlessness and cosmic radiation. Weightlessness can be dealt with, to a limited extent, with artificial "gravity"--and that means a significant increase in material and energy costs. You can either expend a huge amount of resources on providing an "artificial gravity," or you can go really, really fast. Large material and energy costs would be required for either alternative.

Cosmic radiation is a serious issue which the lovers of science fiction never deal with (and that's not a specific reference to you, so don't take it personally). To negate the effects of cosmic radiation, you'd need huge shielding, which would increase material costs by orders of magnitude. It would also increase the cost of lighting payloads out of the mother gravity well, even if only the raw materials to be assembled in orbit.

The other way to combat cosmic radiation is to mimic the system that we have on earth--to create a magnetic shield to envelope the colonizing craft. Huge energy and material costs once again.

So what it gets down to, is that people who like to imagine that colonizing the stars can be quick an easy with just small increase in our technological sophistication are ignoring basic problems of what we can call "human nature" and some hard realities of the cosmos.

For example, you continue to see a technological civilization as a monolith in which all the members have the same ideas--such as your reference to a religious devotion to the notion of colonizing. Would that mean the entire population of their home planet? There would be no heretics? All cultures on the home planet have exactly the same religious views? The one example of a technological civilization about which we know anything--our own--is not an encouraging example for imagining ant-like cultures in which all the members think the same way and work happily toward whatever goals the leadership sets them.

It is as naive to make such assumptions, and i would argue more naive, than it is to imagine that our civilization is a good template for how technological civilizations arise. If your imagined civilization has a religious devotion to colonization, how was the level of fervor maintained over the what doubtlessly was the centuries from the completion of the colonization of the home planet until space-faring on a large scale became plausible?

People don't seem to think these things through when it comes to science fiction. Your basic crap, garden variety mystery novel is much more plausible than the best of science fiction, which almost inevitably relies upon notions of some kinds of technology which are magical and disdain mere laws of physics, and which imagine planetary governments, or galaxy wide confederations with a tight grip on the lives of the inhabitants of individual planets. It just ain't too bloody likely.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:04 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
The 'extreme stroke of luck' that is referred to , is the idea that a self replicating molecule assembled itself .....

The first part of your description is reasonably accurate

perhaps you'd like to help some of your compadres understand that.

I didn't mean to endorse the idea that it would be an extreme stroke of luck

No , I know you didn't.

But Shapiro did.

And that's the part that others seem to have a hard time accepting.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:09 am
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Shapiro is saying that it were an extreme stroke of luck if RNA were formed. He is more specific than just a self-replicating molecule, he refers to RNA.

Robert Shapiro wrote:
I would extend this conclusion to all of the proposed RNA substitutes that I mentioned above.

His explicit rejection of ALL 'replicator first' scenarios is the very reason that he brings his 'small molecules' theory forward.

Hello?

He refers to specific RNA "substitutes" which he has named

No , he doesn't.

He says:

Quote:
no trace of this hypothetical primal replicator and catalyst has been recognized so far in modern biology

He does not refer to any specific substitute(s) because he says he knows of none that exist.

NONE.

Not even a trace.

Pretty plain language.

No wonder he has abandoned the search for a 'replicator first' solution and turned his attention to small molecules instead.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:12 am
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
The 'extreme stroke of luck' that is referred to , is the idea that a self replicating molecule assembled itself .....

The first part of your description is reasonably accurate

perhaps you'd like to help some of your compadres understand that.

I didn't mean to endorse the idea that it would be an extreme stroke of luck

No , I know you didn't.

But Shapiro did.

And that's the part that others seem to have a hard time accepting.

LOL.. No Shapiro doesn't say that at all. You just make stuff up.

Shapiro. It would be difficult for RNA to assemble itself in certain circumstances but using other methods it would be easier.

real life - Shapiro claims it is impossible for RNA to assemble itself.

Other A2K posters - That's not what Shapiro says real life.

real life - yes it is and you can't prove he didn't say it.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:14 am
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Robert Shapiro wrote:

Hello?

No , he doesn't.

He says:

Quote:
no trace of this hypothetical primal replicator and catalyst has been recognized so far in modern biology

He does not refer to any specific substitute(s) because he says he knows of none that exist.

NONE.

Not even a trace.

Pretty plain language.

No wonder he has abandoned the search for a 'replicator first' solution and turned his attention to small molecules instead.

I might add that he describes proposed substitutes only in general terms what others wish to find, and dismisses them:

Quote:
Further, the spontaneous appearance of any such replicator without the assistance of a chemist faces implausibilities that dwarf those involved in the preparation of a mere nucleotide soup
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:18 am
Setanta wrote:
[The problem you have is that Shapiro is discussing living organisms which exist before DNA exists. That throws the thesis of the thread right out the window.

Not completely. It is entirely possible the DNA/RNA we know and love was designed specifically for the planet we inhabit. We could just be an ant farm, for all we know.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:20 am
fm wrote in his superiority tone-

Quote:
I admit that it takes an investment in time and preparation, and som e in tellectual hon esty to not try to recast what the author is clearly saying. Not too hard really.

So I looked at the link again and the very first sentence read-

Quote:
The sudden appearance of a large self-copying molecule such as RNA was exceedingly improbable.

"Exceedingly improbable" is hardly the sort of expression to encourage anyone with a scientific bent to continue further perusal. If the thing starts with drivel one might expect it to continue in the same vein.

But "careful examination" fm? I ask you.

It is exceedingly improbable that someone might win the lottery. Yet many do. When the lump of stuff which formed the earth became a discreet object it was exceedingly improbable that its mass was just so as to render it a place where life might prosper.

It is so exceedingly improbable that Wigan FC will win the Premier League this next season that it is incomparably more improbable than the appearence of self-copying molecules on the evidence that the latter are actually here and there are very large numbers of them assuming the copying is subject to minor variations.

I do accept however that learning bits of the drivel off by heart and parroting them out in social settings can impress one's companions in this weary world of woe if one mixes with that segment of the social strata stupid enough to gasp in admiration at such displays.

I have no such luck myself as I avoid choosing my companions whenever possible for that precise reason.

Schopenauer, like me, went to the same pub every night in order to find a range of companions and not just a selected group to suit his purposes.

Have you ever asked ladies if they understood what you were saying last night?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:26 am
Robert Shapiro wrote:

Setanta wrote:

He (Shaprio) refers to specific RNA "substitutes" which he has named

real life wrote:
No , he doesn't.

I don't know but it looks to me like Set has pretty much summarized exactly what Shapiro said. Unless of course language has no meaning. Shapiro refers to the RNA substitutes that he mentioned above. Set's statement is accurate unless you are arguing the meanings of words real life.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 08:14 am
spendius wrote:
fm wrote in his superiority tone-

Quote:
I admit that it takes an investment in time and preparation, and som e in tellectual hon esty to not try to recast what the author is clearly saying. Not too hard really.

So I looked at the link again and the very first sentence read-

Quote:
The sudden appearance of a large self-copying molecule such as RNA was exceedingly improbable.

"Exceedingly improbable" is hardly the sort of expression to encourage anyone with a scientific bent to continue further perusal. If the thing starts with drivel one might expect it to continue in the same vein.

But "careful examination" fm? I ask you.

It is exceedingly improbable that someone might win the lottery. Yet many do. When the lump of stuff which formed the earth became a discreet object it was exceedingly improbable that its mass was just so as to render it a place where life might prosper.

It is so exceedingly improbable that Wigan FC will win the Premier League this next season that it is incomparably more improbable than the appearence of self-copying molecules on the evidence that the latter are actually here and there are very large numbers of them assuming the copying is subject to minor variations.

I do accept however that learning bits of the drivel off by heart and parroting them out in social settings can impress one's companions in this weary world of woe if one mixes with that segment of the social strata stupid enough to gasp in admiration at such displays.

I have no such luck myself as I avoid choosing my companions whenever possible for that precise reason.

Schopenauer, like me, went to the same pub every night in order to find a range of companions and not just a selected group to suit his purposes.

Have you ever asked ladies if they understood what you were saying last night?

No one has suggested that RNA or anything like it suddenly appeared. We have been talking about a much smaller and simpler first replicator.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 08:45 am
I was commenting on fm's link.

Talking about much smaller and simpler first replicators does not consist in a discussion because it is meaningless as nobody has the faintest idea what such things are and never will have.

It's simply a form of conspicuous consumption for those who can't afford anything else and places the language in intensive care. Language is a communication tool and as nobody has any idea what much smaller and simpler first replicators actually are there can be no communication.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:09 am
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Robert Shapiro wrote:

Hello?

No , he doesn't.

Jesus, you are such an idiot and such a goddamned liar. I have highlighted above the place in which Shapiro writes what i have stated--and which you, you feckin' idiot, quoted.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:13 am
cjhsa wrote:
Setanta wrote:
[The problem you have is that Shapiro is discussing living organisms which exist before DNA exists. That throws the thesis of the thread right out the window.

Not completely. It is entirely possible the DNA/RNA we know and love was designed specifically for the planet we inhabit. We could just be an ant farm, for all we know.

You don't follow along very well, Tinkerbell. The member "real life" has been using Shapiro's writings to try to support the thesis of this thread, which is that DNA was "designed." But Shapiro is not only not saying that DNA was designed, he is very pointedly discussing how replicator molecules could arise from naturally occurring chemical reactions. So, if someone wants to use Shapiro as a support for their thesis, it cannot be the thesis of this thread.

You're not very bright, are ya, Tinkerbell?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:41 am
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Robert Shapiro wrote:

Hello?

No , he doesn't.

I have highlighted above the place in which Shapiro writes what i have stated--and which you, quoted.

Apparently you know not the meaning of 'specific' nor of 'named', two terms which you used.

Shapiro talked in general terms (not specific) of proposed RNA substitutes, and dismissed them as implausible.

He spoke not of any 'specific' substitute, because he explicitly said that NONE existed of which he was aware.

Nor did he 'name' any, since there were none to name. Laughing

Save your bluster for someone who's impressed by it.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:51 am
Now someone can "mention" something without "naming" it and someone can refer to mentioned substitutes without being "specific."

Your abuse of the English language is really quite funny real life. Everyone understood Shapiro and Set except you.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:58 am
arguing with Mr Life is hopeless. He doesnt even see the points that were made in the article by Shapiro, Im not gonna even bother with RL's obstinate stupidity and his constant insistance that what he says is what Shapiro means.
Shapiro has made a dent in the literature pointing out the probability that life started with a chemistry distinct from its ultimate message board. Mol biologists have found a whole slew of multi nucleic acids and SHapiro has made a point that (WHILE STILL BEING DEBATED ) life began in a hemical mechanical "recipe" that had nothing to do with the xNA family.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 12:12 pm
parados wrote:
Now someone can "mention" something without "naming" it

'without naming it' means it wasn't named.

and if it wasn't named, then one shouldn't say it was.

parados wrote:
and someone can refer to mentioned substitutes without being "specific."

'without being specific' means it wasn't specific.

and if it wasn't specific, then one shouldn't say it was.

parados wrote:
Your abuse of the English language is really quite funny real life.

perhaps if I was convinced you actually understood English I would take your point seriously. (see above)

parados wrote:
Everyone understood Shapiro and Set except you.

I understood Set. And told him he was incorrect.

I also understood Shapiro, something you've yet to demonstrate.

Give us your summary of Shapiro's view. We could all use a good laugh. Laughing
0 Replies