Fantasty Football 2008

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 01:14 pm
This may be a silly question but I'm probably going to ask some before I see first hand how it all works.

Is it considered bad form to put somebody on your list that somebody else has already requested? For instance, if everybody wants Brian Urlacher, do we all put him on our lists and let it be decided by 'lottery' or whatever? (He happens to be from the school that I mostly grew up in and he was a NM Lobo here in Albuquerque before the Bears drafted him. He's one that I follow closely.)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 01:19 pm
Not bad form at all. I suspect most everyone will have Tomlinson (RB) and Brady (QB) high on their shopping lists. Who gets them will be determined by where they are on the lists and what the draft order we pick in turns out to be.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 01:24 pm
Ah very good. I don't have to rush to beat the crowd then. Smile
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 01:37 pm
BTW, the order in which we pick (randomly determined 30 minutes before the draft) is amusing. #1 goes first, on down to #12 getting the twelvth pick and then #12 gets the thirteenth pick and it starts back up the chain. #1 doesn't get a second pick until the twenty-fourth pick.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 01:50 pm
Well in a way that makes sense. #1 gets the player everybody wants and #12 could otherwise be at a distinct disadvantage having to accept only leftovers. In real life the worst team gets the first pick don't they? And that can put the most coveted players in the unenviable position of getting stuck with a really bad team. But I guess if it wasn't that way, there would be no chance for some to become a dynasty or even be competitive.

Any way it's done, somebody will be disappointed.

Is there any provision for making trades after the draft or during the draft as they do in real life? Probably not as that would begin to get really complicated.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 03:21 pm
You can make trades after the draft but not during.

Oh and there is no etiquette for fantasy football besides crush your opponent into the ground Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 04:37 pm
And talk trash. Sometimes ours rhymes. George has been known to trash talk in Latin.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 05:16 pm
Let me toss out this idea again. We have 12 players and we have about 40 days to go before the draft. There are 17 weeks in the regular season, 4 of which have been set aside for playoffs betwixt the top 8 players (weeks 14-17). That leaves 13 weeks of matchups. If we could find two more players to add to the league, everyone would play everyone else exactly once.
Assuming my math logic is right, could I troll for 2 more players? JP would not have to adjust anything until I find them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 05:28 pm
Sounds good to me, but of course I've no clue re numbers of available players for adding and dropping to our number of teams. The Team as such seems so small compared to baseball.

I'm enjoying the iffyness of various players pre-season. Pick a quarterback and see if he even plays when the season starts..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 05:30 pm
Also, Jespah, I failed to credit you for your really really helpful summary at the start of the fantasy baseball 2008 season. I had saved the link and referred to it many times. When I first started it was nearly a new language however faintly familiar.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 05:36 pm
I don't know if it is the same in the football fant/league as in the baseball one, FF, but while the drafted team matters if you nab some terrific player(s), whom you keep of that and whom you trade or dump and then pick instead matters a lot, and that happens over the season. I am guessing you don't just hang on to X players, willynilly.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, people.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 03:27 pm
The dognosed sharks are sharpening their fins... no, no, I mean their teeth.

Snap, snap..
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:26 pm
Oh. dear. The draft date is a mere 16 days away. And I have done absolutely no research on who I would like to have on my team.
If you want to let the Yahoo computer select your team for you, no action is required. But if you want to make your own stupid picks, it is time to get moving.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:13 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I don't know if it is the same in the football fant/league as in the baseball one, FF, but while the drafted team matters if you nab some terrific player(s), whom you keep of that and whom you trade or dump and then pick instead matters a lot, and that happens over the season. I am guessing you don't just hang on to X players, willynilly.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, people.)

That is true, osso. You can add and drop players all season long. Trades are rare betwixt us.
One of the categories we score or don't score points in is "Defense." You have a position on your roster called "Defense" in which you win points if the team on your roster gives up fewer points, gets an interception or two, etc.
You can choose a team that has a good defense and stick with it. Or with only 12 of us here and 32 NFL teams, you can look at the match-ups and note that the Behemoths are playing the Patsies. So, if no one else has the Behemoths, you can switch for a week.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 07:58 pm
Thanks, rjb.

On the roster, I have to review mine. They may all have tripped and broken ankles by now. Or fainted from crash dieting. Or..
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 11:19 am
My poor olympic team has been so ravaged in various ways in the last several days that I'm almost afraid to pick players I want on the Night Owls for fear of putting a hex on the players. Telling myself. . .

I am not superstitious. . .

I am not superstitious. . .

I am not superst. . . whoops, 3 times is a jinx.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 04:34 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
...I am not superst. . . whoops, 3 times is a jinx.

Hee!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:13 am
Well, I have a clam bake on draft day and will have to rely on my pre-programmed draft picks. Mad

That stinks as one of the best parts of FF is the draft.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 08:54 am
Clam bake... FF draft... clam bake... FF draft...

That is a tough call, McG.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:00 am
I'm a scaredy-cat about the draft. In the fantasy baseball draft, my first, which I just watched, it seemed to go so fast. But I'll probably try it.
0 Replies