Fantasty Football 2008

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:21 am
ossobuco wrote:
Hey, great, Foxfyre.

People walked me through Fantasy Baseball for weeks. The Ticomaniacs were particularly helpful re my amazingly dumb questions, but others helped too.

I've played the seasonal a2k march to the Superbowl City, whatever the thread is named each year, but not fantasy football. So there'll be at least one more question asker.

Thanks Osso. When you get ready to do that lunch we talked about before, let me know.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:23 am
realjohnboy wrote:
Do you know how to sign up on Yahoo, Foxfyre? If not, contact JPinMilw for the link.

Do you have to use Yahoo? I don't mind--I have a couple (maybe a dozen) game account there over the years--but if its just an email address we need, I can't use my regular email? Or if the contest itself is done on Yahoo then of course I'll sign up there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:56 am
Will do, Foxfyre.

The contest is on Yahoo. Meantime, just pm JPinMilwaukee.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:59 am
ossobuco wrote:
Will do, Foxfyre.

The contest is on Yahoo. Meantime, just pm JPinMilwaukee.

Okiedokie
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 12:03 pm
I pmed JPinMilw asking him to contact Foxfyre with the link. If Tico or someone else can provide it, that would also work.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 12:22 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
I pmed JPinMilw asking him to contact Foxfyre with the link. If Tico or someone else can provide it, that would also work.

Thanks RJB. I also sent him a PM.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 01:01 pm
I just checked and I still have the link in my old emails. Looks like JPinM wants to provide the link by one's email. If you didn't provide him your email, Foxfyre, whyn't you do that by pm to him now, or edit the one you already sent, in order to cut down time/complication....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 04:14 am
JPin has to provide the link (he may have to add you in some way). I don't believe you actually have to have yahoo mail in order for it to work.

Anyway, welcome, Foxy! Always great to have more ladies -- first year, I was the only one. Shocked
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:43 am
Thanks everyone. I think it will be fun but I'll have much to learn though I'm a bit of a football junkie but no expert--but hey somebody has to be on the bottom yes? Smile I have the email with the link from JP--the yahoo site is temporarily down for maintenance this morning but will check back in periodically and will sign up when it will let me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:53 am
That's right. I guess they do their maintenance at the basefall all star break.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 04:06 pm
I think the Yahoo site is now back open after the maintenance that they had scheduled for today.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 07:18 pm
Okay, I'm properly signed up I think. I presume I will be informed when and how to draft my team?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:05 pm
Yes indeed, you are signed up! Welcome.

We are 40 days away from the draft date. You have several options.

You can let the Yahoo computer choose your team for you. When it is your turn to pick, the computer will assign you the highest ranked player in some position (Quarterback, Kicker etc). Most of us here go for that option, I think. You get a pretty balanced team.
Or you can do a bunch of research and make your own list. For example, I want Brady as my 1st choice at QB but if he is not available I want P Manning, unless Moss is available at RB or whatever position he plays. A lot of work. A few of us do that.
Finally, you can participate in the live draft. Only a couple of us do that. Decisions are made kind of on the fly.

I am in the last category, by the way. I love playing games and I enjoy making my own mistakes.

Again, welcome.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:15 pm
Thank you thank you. It has all been very interesting so far.

Is there an option where you can manually choose a few favorite players and let the computer pick the rest? In other words, if available, I would like to snag a player or two that I actually do follow on purpose to make watching the games more interesting. I don't follow enough of them to competently pick a whole team though, especially considering that some of the rest of you will no doubt snag some that I like too.

But however it works out.....it will be fun.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:25 pm
Yes you can do that. You can list the players by name that you would like to have on your team and then, once you get them or don't get them, let the computer choose the rest of the team. We'll get into this more deeply in a day or two.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:49 pm
Okay. I'll start researching in a day or two then Smile
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 08:51 am
Foxfyre wrote:

Is there an option where you can manually choose a few favorite players and let the computer pick the rest? In other words, if available, I would like to snag a player or two that I actually do follow on purpose to make watching the games more interesting.

Hey FoxFyre,

Just login and got to the "League" page.

Under the first bullet point in League Notes is a "rank your players" link.
Click on that and it will bring you to a list of pre-draft player rankings list. Click on the "Edit m Rankings" link and that will take you to a page where you can rank which players you want first. You can sort by position, rank or name. Just choose your favorite players from the list, move them over to the "My players" side and arrange them in which order you want them drafted.

Make sure you save it before you leave the page by clicking on the save button. Once done, if a player is available when your draft turn comes around, the computer will pick the highest rank player that you have listed. There is some variance depending on what positions you already have drafted, but for the most part it works pretty good.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 09:08 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Is there an option where you can manually choose a few favorite players and let the computer pick the rest? In other words, if available, I would like to snag a player or two that I actually do follow on purpose to make watching the games more interesting.

Hey FoxFyre,

Just login and got to the "League" page.

Under the first bullet point in League Notes is a "rank your players" link.
Click on that and it will bring you to a list of pre-draft player rankings list. Click on the "Edit m Rankings" link and that will take you to a page where you can rank which players you want first. You can sort by position, rank or name. Just choose your favorite players from the list, move them over to the "My players" side and arrange them in which order you want them drafted.

Make sure you save it before you leave the page by clicking on the save button. Once done, if a player is available when your draft turn comes around, the computer will pick the highest rank player that you have listed. There is some variance depending on what positions you already have drafted, but for the most part it works pretty good.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Will do Jp. Thanks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 11:34 am
Thanks, JP, that info helps me too. (I don't remember how I ranked mine in baseball, but it involved a lot of scribbled on paper before I finally posted my own ranking.)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:09 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Okay. I'll start researching in a day or two then Smile

On the fantasy football start page, just below the matchups for the week, are columns by Yahoo "experts," including Brad Evans. I don't know if he actually knows anything, but he has started a weekly series focusing on different positions. So far he has done Wide Receivers (7/14), Running Backs (7/7) and Quarterbacks (6/30). You can find that last one by clicking on "archives" next to one of the later articles and scrolling down to June 30th.

By the way, I note with a certain dismay that Peyton Manning, my QB for at least the last two seasons, will probably miss the entire pre-season due to an injury. I got a ton of fantasy points out of him and I was pretty certain I would try to get him this season.
0 Replies