Egyptian lawyer chases 3,000 year old ambulance

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 09:32 am
Lawyer to Sue Jews for Biblical 'Plunder'
By Opheera McDoom - 9/11/03

CAIRO (Reuters) - An Egyptian lawyer said Wednesday he was planning to sue the world's Jews for "plundering" gold during the Exodus from Pharaonic Egypt thousands of years ago, based on information in the Bible.

Nabil Hilmi, dean of the law faculty at Egypt's al-Zaqaziq University, said the legal basis for the case was under study by a group of lawyers in Egypt and Europe.

"This is serious, and should not be misread as being political against any race. We are just investigating if a debt is owed," Hilmi told Reuters in a telephone interview.

The relevant passage from the Bible, Exodus 12 verses 35 to 36 reads: "The Israelites had done as Moses told them; they had asked the Egyptians for jewelry of silver and gold, and for clothing. ... And so they plundered the Egyptians." This translation is in the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible.

Some Jewish commentators say that while the Biblical passage may be fact, the Hebrews were enslaved by the Egyptians and therefore had a right to claim compensation for wages.

"Hilmi's assertion that the Hebrew Bible is fact has given Israel and Jews the world over a reason to rejoice. He has opened the door for all Jews to sue Egypt for over 400 years of slavery," writer Beth Goodman told Reuters.

Tareq Zaghoul, a lawyer at the Egyptian Organization for Human Rights in Cairo, said it would be difficult to prove historical fact in the passage that would stand up in court.

"This needs historical documents and evidence to back it up. It is rather far-fetched," he said.

Hilmi said Egyptian and European historical and religious experts were trying to establish if the biblical passage could be taken as fact, and hence form the basis for a lawsuit.

He said the argument that Jews could sue Egypt for enslaving them was also being studied by experts.

Hilmi gave no details of which court he planned to file the case in or whether he thought such a case would be exempt from the sort of statute of limitations that in many countries rules out legal cases after a certain period of time.

He also declined to put a value on the goods "plundered."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,403 • Replies: 11
No top replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 09:48 am
he will lose. If we all sued on our beliefs I think we would all make outselves believe we were owed something.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:03 am
I don't suppose the Jews will counter sue? False imprisonment and denial of civil rights, or something sounds right.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:06 am
The whole throwing the babies into the Nile was also something that the Jews might not have appreciated about their treatment at the hands of the Egyptians.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 04:49 pm
Ah, my brother sent this to me. Actually, we get out (at least we American Jews do) on double jeopardy (5th Amendment, US Constitution) - this kind of case was adjudicated by, of all people, Alexander the Great. We wuz sued for the land, and we countersued for payment for services rendered for 400 years (or however long it was) in Egypt.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 09:42 pm
What for you should become a lawyer?

You think I don't have enough worries already,
that society treats *everyone* like shmuks?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 04:19 am
CodeBorg, I am a lawyer.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 06:08 am
Oh dear! So - do the Egyptians get compensation for the dead firstborn sons (or was it just children)?

The locusts oughta be worth something.

One assumes slavery was legal at the time, so the Jews might have trouble with that one.

Er - we gonna sue the snakes, for the fall?

Why not just sue all the gods and all the churches - for, well, EVERYTHING! To have life is to suffer, nuh? Oy veh!

The Alexander the Great thing is great! - any sources?
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 06:54 am
Jespah -- No offense meant, rather just a commentary on how lawsuit-happy our soceity has become.

I feel like I could be sued at any time for any ridiculous reason, merely for harassment, threat, or manipulation.

What is your opinion: Do we need fewer/same/more lawsuits these days?
More of one kind, less of another?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:03 am
Hmm, lemme see if I can find the stuff on Alex. I think it was just an email, which always smells like an urban legend to me.

CB - no offense taken. I don't know about more or fewer lawsuits, but isn't it better for people to resolve their differences in court rather than with pistols at 10 paces? Some lawsuits are good. Seat belts wouldn't have to be in cars if it wasn't for plaintiffs' tort lawyers, for example.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:12 am
Hmmm, try this:Jerusalem Post
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:15 am
Well, yes, but don't pistols induce a certain quality of civility in our everyday lives?
0 Replies