FAT32 Error and how to fix

Monger

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 01:43 pm
DOS doesn't give much encouragement for doing things correctly. When DOS gives no response it usually means you've done something right.

Let us know how it goes with NortonDD & such.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 06:08 pm
Proceedingly along. DOS scandisk found nothing...no bad sectors. WIll try WIndows defrag next. THen go back to Norton.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 07:53 pm
I am loathe to involve you, or anyone, any further in this, but will welcome whatever ideas you have.

Defragged in WIndows, then Norton, successfully. Norton Disk Doctor continues with the same message: can't do it, can't test any futher.

To boot, someone is coming within a week, with cds, to give me either w2k or xp, and I still believe my connection issues with my ISP are central to most of my ongoing problems, forgetting about FAT errors at the moment.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 09:34 pm
When I had this ystem put together, in May 2000, I only had $450 to spend, so with the assistance of Computer Direct Outlets, which is not a bad way to go, we selected what I anticipated needing, much like from a Chinese menu.

At that time, I could not afford the second edition iof WIndows 98, and had heard that I could upgrade to it through Microsoft. Wrong. I upgraded to the max, but could never get to the second edition.

I can't tell you how sick and tired I am of dealing with the bad code, the inconsistencies, the contradictions, the subject to corruption, that I have been dealing with for the last three years. It, although I didn't know it in 2000, was not worth the aggravation. Of course, I didn't have the money to do anything about any other options at the time.....
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 10:25 pm
Well, defrag being able to run fine all the way through now suggests to me your master boot record is fixed. Is NortonDD's message exactly the same as before? And you say ScanDisk doesn't find any problems? There is a certain amount of possibility that NDD is just acting quirky. If ScanDisk isn't finding anything I wouldn't worry about it all that much for now. Maybe it'll just be good motivation for ya to remember to backup your important data regularly.

Win2K & XP are both miles ahead of 98 first edition. If your system isn't that powerful you may be better of with 2K.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 10:27 pm
Now I am pissed to the point of being apoplexic. I exited everything running (which wasn't much) before I did the surface scan from scandisk, and before I did defrag from either Windows or Norton. Now it is not coming up, even though it is checked as a startup program. I have no sound again. And the computer is the only cd player I have. Damn!!!!!!!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 10:29 pm
C-Media mixer, that is.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 11:29 pm
Reduced to old audio tapes - atmospheric conditions not being good for radio reception without good tuner-amplifier. Damn!!!

Monger
Same message from Norton DD, even after everything, incuding surface scan.

I am worried about the processor, which has always tested weakly through PCPitstop and other places. Maybe I should just say, screw it, and get a better motherboard? Wadda ya think?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 12:11 am
Your motherboard itself is likely the cause of zero of these problems. And if you change your motherboard you'll prolly have to get a new CPU & RAM too.

Reinstall your sound card driver, & try using the CD player that comes with Windows. The hard disk checks had no effect on your sound card, so something else weird is going on with your 'puter.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 12:27 am
The cd player that comes with Windows is the only one I have, but why should exiting audio (C-Media Mixer) when I did stuff have prevented it from starting up again at next startup?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 12:39 am
That's not standard behavior. It is, however, very easy to add a shortcut to it in your win98 'C:\windows\start menu\programs\startup' folder in order to make it start with windows again.

things like "even though it is checked as a startup program" doesn't exactly clear up what you mean. Also, how did you shut it down? Ctrl-Alt-Delete? File->Exit? Right-clicking the systray icon and choosing to turn the tray icon off?--(which would usually mean you don't want it to start with windows next time)
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 12:44 am
Right-clicking the systray icon and choosing to turn the tray icon off?--(which would usually mean you don't want it to start with windows next time)

Yes, that is how I turned off everything, Norton included, just prior to running thngs. The only thing I left on was the mouse software so that I could function.

Do I really have to redownload?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 12:52 am
No. You need to start the program & find the option to turn the systray icon back on.

Sometimes the systray close option or menu item is just to exit the program, other times it's to turn off loading the program at every Windows startup.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 12:59 am
I ran FIND on C-Media Mixer and found them all, old and new. Deleted old versions, but didn't find an .exe program for it. Perhaps in c:unzipped? I will go look.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 01:15 am
Went to c:unzipped, since I last downloaded zipped driver, clicked until I got to win98, but didn't see an .exe program. What am I missing or doing wrong? When I go to control panel and click on sound, it is clear, from the absence of tabs (other than general) that there is nothing there.
0 Replies

AlexH

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 11:29 am
Strange Problems
I tried reading all the way to see if I missed anything ...

Have you tried to completely remove Norton, reboot, then reinstall it? Everything you post here suggests that your HD FAT32 file system is really okay.

Here's one thing I always used prior to 2K or XP:
1 - Boot using the DOS disk.
2 - At the A:\ prompt, type "scandisk/all/auto/nosav/nosum/surf" ==> that will do a Scandisk with automatic repair, won't save a log or produce a summary, and will do a surface scan too. All automatically.
3 - Restart Windows and see what you can do with Norton, having already removed and reinstalled Norton.

Again, it might not help but this couldn't hurt.

And as they've all said, now you have a real reason to back up your data.

Going to 2K with this problem still unresolved, may not be the best idea ... unless you also convert to NTFS. And again, I cannot help but wonder if the conversion will help or perpetuate this problem if, indeed, it is a problem.

-a.
0 Replies

compdumb

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 09:50 pm
@Monger,
hi im runnin xp can you post steps, please. im computer stupid thanks kenny
0 Replies