old, foreign coins and bill values?

Buffalo

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:01 pm
I have a bunch of old foreign bills and coins. It's been a while since I looked at them, but I think most are from around the 1930s-1940s. I don't know where most are from, or what they are. Is there an easy way I can find out what they are and their values?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 10,255 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:32 pm
The easiest way would be to take them to a shop which trades in old currency and coins; take them to a numismatist. However, these people are in a business, and would probably want to charge for their services, and coins and bills of that age aren't likely to be sufficiently valuable to warrant paying to have them appraised. One thing you can determine yourself very quickly, though: no coin or bill is valuable if it is worn, if it obviously has seen heavy use. Any of the bills or coins your possess which show signs of even what one might consider ordinary wear and tear are very likely not going to be worth much.

One thing you might do is take photographs of the bills and coins (line them up to photograph one side, then line them up in the same order showing the other side) and post them online, here or at a coin-collectors site, and ask people to comment.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:39 pm
Don't clean the coins and don't try to straighten the bills because the graders will know and they will be de-valued.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:50 pm
As far as I know this is true:
http://www.safehaven.com/article-3699.htm
"U.S. Mint Confiscates 10 Rare Gold Coins

Recently in the news was the story of an unfortunate woman who had 10 gold Double Eagle coins confiscated from her by the United States Mint. Just the week before the Gold Anti-Trust Action Committee featured an article on the Treasury Department's announcement that the government still retains the power and authority to confiscate private gold holdings as Roosevelt did in 1933 Treasury Dept. claims power to seize gold and silver -- and everything else.

The following are some news clips relating to the confiscation of the gold coins. The U.S. Mint seized 10 gold Double Eagle coins dated from 1933. The coins are said to be among the rarest and most valuable coins in the world. A jeweler says she turned them in to the Mint to determine their authenticity."
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 07:07 pm
as already posted : "NEVER EVER CLEAN COINS !!! " - it'll make them pretty well worthless .
your local library likely has some coin catalogs .

also check this site :

COIN MAGAZINE
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 07:08 pm
gosh.. where is MMS when I need her.

She isjust like me.. crazy for coins.

But I can only echo what has already been said.
There are few things in those dates that are truly worth a lot of money and at this point in time , you would not just stumble on to them.

Where did you get them, if I might ask?
TTH

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 03:06 pm
I wanted to add in addition to what Setanta stated that old worn notes can be extremely valuable if they are rare. Otherwise, not many are known to exist in the world.

I personally know of some notes that were bought by a coin & note collector. The person who sold them and the dealer who bought them didn't know they are rare. The true value was known when the notes were sent in for grading. These notes are so rare they aren't even listed in the bid sheets.

I will tell you the total face value was $120. The real value is $25,000 and yes there is already a buyer for them.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 05:54 pm
contact Bucksworlds at Capitola CA.

http://www.bucksworlds.com/
0 Replies

peggywill

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 03:40 pm
@shewolfnm,
I got the paper money from my husbands mother whom is 83 yrs young . She and her husband bought an old farmhouse back when she was young and tore down some walls to restore the house and,found an old leather wallet in the wall. The old money was inside. Don't know what their worth.
0 Replies