Potato salads.. you tell me yours

TilleyWink

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 02:07 pm
Boy, oh boy, good potato salad. Well my grandmother's come in first for me. Lots of eggs and mayo with onions, celery, pickle relish (she called it pickle lilly?), potato of course, salt and pepper to taste. No measuring allowed.

The hot germen style is also a fav.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 02:08 pm
Because you do it for yourself Smile If you got that same meal served to you, you'd probably love it.

I don't like the kinds of foods I have to cook in camp, for the most part, and being around food all day, thinking of meals and menus, doing the dishes - just kills my appetite which is small at the best of times. So when I come back to civilization, I tend to eat very little and usually stuff I could eat by itself. Like a jar of olives Smile Well, not at one go, but...

I had an avocado roll for dinner last night and usually do that 5x a week Smile
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:20 am
How do you make an avocado roll Mame?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 08:51 am
mismi wrote :

Quote:
How do you make an avocado roll Mame?

do you have a little hill nearby ? take your avocado to the hill ... ... :wink:

re. SALAD DRESSING : checked the label ; it says WHIPPED DRESSING , i guess it's low fat (6 %) mayo .

the potatoes are cooked in the jacket but peeled and cut in the EGGSLICER ; gives nice even slices - not that that's important , just easy .
hbg
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 10:18 am
Laughing that was funny :wink:

low fat is good. I am looking for it next time I'm at the store hamburger. Thank you muchly!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 01:21 pm
TW, your gram may have called pickle relish pickallili, but the real thing is more of a chutney (read: bigger pieces) of a variety of veggies, pickled. Green tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, onions, whatefer you have, diced and pickled with spices. My knowledge of it comes from Pennsylvania Dutch country.

When my jar is empty of pickles, I might put anything in there -- a can of corn and some chopped red pepper, couple slices of jalapeno, or sliced beets, or sliced beets and hardboiled eggs, or just eggs....
0 Replies

TilleyWink

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 12:13 am
Thanks Wy I learned something new today. The idea about put other stuff in th pickle just sounds good and I am going to try. I like lots of different things in all my salads.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 08:40 pm
I've got more to post, not of my own, but via Fine Cooking.

On the other hand, I now have red and a couple of small blue pototoes and good olives. Might try to redo the first one.
0 Replies

highhopes

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:44 pm
Here is our simple recipe.

2 lb. hot, cooked unpeeled new potatoes, sliced
1 cup chopped fresh vegetables (green or red peppers, broccoli, pea pods)
1 cup prepared GOOD SEASONS Italian Dressing Mix
TOSS all ingredients in large bowl.
SERVE warm.
0 Replies