Thoughts on Tarot. Superstition or a useful tool?

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:18 pm
Tarot reading is something many people are into. But there are many ways to understand it, and recently I've been playing with an idea that has come to me while watching my friends lay their cards.

The idea is basically this. Regardless of the mystical aspects surrounding tarot, the process itself can be very useful to anyone who understands it in a certain way.
It is not so much a reading of your fortune as it is a pattern in which you can arrange the things in your life.
It is not a prophecy, but a frame completely unattached to the problems you yourself connect it to. The result is an alternative viewpoint which you may not have achieved on your own, since you are biased by your own experience.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,171 • Replies: 20
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:19 pm
Sorry, I got nothing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:21 pm
I get what you're saying. I sometimes read tarot cards. Usually it's part of a halloween costume or at a house party. sometimes the readings are down-right freaky. It's not because I am psychic or the cards are mystical. It's because of coincidence and an interaction of non-verbal cues.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:30 pm
Maybe it is something akin to the recognition of our own situation that we sometimes find in songs and poems.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:31 pm
Sure. And, the more experience you have, the more you can atune to what's going on with other people.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:40 pm
We was playing 5 card Tarot just this last sat nite, it was the regular group of theosophists raising the devil (we got him over 5 ft in the air) anyway we were playing pentacles wild and i hit the big 8 Ba gua on the Feng Shui map and found meself at 3 in the a.m. painting my front door red. My neighbors are curious.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:42 pm
<snort>
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:51 pm
lambs blood aside..

a cold tarot reading can bring you lots of money...

' questioner- Will I be rich?'

reader- Yes.. when you earn a lot of money, you will be very rich!

will I be famous?

As soon as everyone knows who you are, you will be very famous . Wealth may follow that..

Will I have a long life?

Yes so long as you avoid strange accidents and stay healthy!

45.00 dollars please..
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 02:26 am
dyslexia wrote:
My neighbors are curious.

You mean they weren't before?

:wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:36 am
Mame wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
My neighbors are curious.

You mean they weren't before?

His neighbors are down-right odd.

Cyracuz, could i interest you in a slightly-used but potentially very lucrative bridge? I can let you have a substantial discount if you act now.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:38 am
You guys better be glad you dont live near me.

screaming, yelling , bells, lots of smoke, candles, feathers.. the occasional missing baby. .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:43 am
I'm not scared of you.

I got those red chalk lines over all my thresholds and you can't get in.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:51 am
thats ok ...

I got an air can

im'ma blow em away...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 06:35 am
A bridge you say? Is it big and red and dancing?
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 02:34 am
To answer the question as such - superstition. It's a clearcut case between the charlatans, and the kindof people that dig it, it's just not in the nature of non-bullshit.

The term superstition gets misused tho. People think true/false like its a light switch, but to my mind true is the default state and false is context dependent. In this case - true that it's old images that come down to us in a non-canonical fashion, true that there were tangible meanings - not to say any of that makes it more than a historical curiosity - but in the case of the Greeks with the Zeus-makes-lightning idea wasn't just folklore, it was an attempt at determining truth, stemming, albeit crudely from other truisms, like how people get pissed and start **** in a manner analogous to weather patterns.

I never took philosophy and I don't care to - I say all that to say this - people always think they've got the right idea, like 'let's address global warming' 'it's time to end children's suffering in this or that manner' - there's always assumptions to be made, and that's fine, but how many of these jokers know, even as well as the Greeks and whoever made the tarot did, to keep an eye on the context? I mean there's always free cheese in a mousetrap...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 06:04 am
Any superstition can be useful in the sense that it may lead one to view a situation in a way which had not previously occurred to one. But superstition becomes positively harmful when one thinks that there is any inherent merit in the superstition itself, as opposed to being simply a thought exercise.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 07:44 am
Damn, Setanta beat me to it.

Ditto what he said.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 04:31 pm
farmerman said
Quote:
Sorry, I got nothing.

Indeed, niether do Tarot Cards..maybe an Old Maid deck in combination with a regular deck of 52 cards. It certainly would allow more possibilities and therefore, perhaps, more specificity in the infomation so gleened.

JM
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:01 pm
Hello Cyracuz. I have been reading my cards for over 20 years and I find it's usefulness to come from what I believe my favorite, Carl Jung, would call the "collective unconscious". Essentially I choose the exact cards I end up choosing because in an unconscious way, I know what I am choosing. And what I choose is what's pertinent to me, because the choosing comes not from me,so much as from my connection to the collective unconscious. In this way, how useful Tarot card reading may be depends mostly on the degree of connection the reader is able to maintain with this collective unconscious, and has nothing to do with any mystical or magical ability on my part at all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:14 pm
Agree with Set et al. Waves eyes.

Unfortunately for some kind of exploration by me of what Cyracuz is on about, I lived through an era of tarot berserkness.. so I'm not even amused enough to consider it.

Go ahead, say I'm closed minded.
0 Replies